ADVERTISEMENT

Hate Crime

waldorf

SuperCane
Sep 10, 2003
People talk politics, soccer and everything else on this board.

Noticed no mention of the horrible hate crime last night.

Some things are easier for people to talk about than what happen last night. Here in Jacksonville there has not been much on the news about what happened last night.

Reactions: waldorf
Guy was a radical, racist nutcase... There's even a picture of him wearing a pro-apartheid jacket that was worn by racists in South Africa. He'll get the death penalty- South Carolina is no softie on administering punishment.
I just read what you stated above. I think he will fry also

Reactions: canes2014
Of course its a "hate crime" if you kill 9 people...What difference does it make if he hated them or not? Guy killed 9 people thats all you need to know.

So it is necessary for folks that are of sound mind to talk about that here? Not trying to dodge the sad occurrence but why give that punk the gratification? I come here to leave that mess for a little while. All the media outlets have made sure the situation is getting its just dues of coverage..

According to the Alex Jones website, the wackjob was taking Suboxone, a narcotic that is used to treat opiate addiction. Side effect is tendency of users to become really violent, aggressive, threatening, exhibit sudden outbursts and increasingly self-destructive. Unclear whether he was taking it for a specific psych illness. Suboxone has become a street drug and is even more addictive than the opiates it is supposed to help them kick. See a website called SubSux.com.

It hasn't bee widely talked about, but apparently most mass shooters recently have been on psychotic drugs, including the Columbine and Sandy Hook killers.

Of course its a "hate crime" if you kill 9 people...What difference does it make if he hated them or not? Guy killed 9 people thats all you need to know.

This. Unless the mentality factored into how the murders were commited..... what's the point? He obviously had malicious intentions.... and that is the determining factor between manslaughter and murder.

Southerners are taught that the flag represents "States Rights". The more precise question is the State's right to do exactly what?

In the case of the Confederate flag it is about the States right to deny the guarantees of the Declaration of Independence to a certain population based on their race and ethnicity.

South Carolina was the first to secede, and it did so on the eve that Pres Lincoln got elected. The ONLY thing Lincoln was threatening at that point was to abolish slavery. So it is inconsistent to claim that abolition had nothing to do with the creation of that specific flag since South Carolina went to war for that specific reason.

Sure, it may represent State pride and independence for some people, but the historiCal facts are clear on the reason for secession.

Reactions: cwebbjb
Lincoln may have been an SOB on many counts..... but something Southerners don't ever take into account into their arguments is what the Confederate Constitution put into place.

Read it and you will see that other than the right to own another person.... the Confederate Constitution leaves all the provisions to the executive that the Confederates criticized Lincoln and the Feds for.

It is just about one of the most hypocritical documents ever drafted in US history.

According to the Alex Jones website, the wackjob was taking Suboxone, a narcotic that is used to treat opiate addiction. Side effect is tendency of users to become really violent, aggressive, threatening, exhibit sudden outbursts and increasingly self-destructive. Unclear whether he was taking it for a specific psych illness. Suboxone has become a street drug and is even more addictive than the opiates it is supposed to help them kick. See a website called SubSux.com.

It hasn't bee widely talked about, but apparently most mass shooters recently have been on psychotic drugs, including the Columbine and Sandy Hook killers.

Government is the biggest drug dealers on the block...People hooked on all kinds of pills around this country..

I know several cops around my area and they all say the same thing....Pills are more of a problem in my area than coke, crack, meth, weed combined...

Now this coward last night...If it was up to me, he’d be executed Sunday on live tv, 8pm...

Last edited:
People talk politics, soccer and everything else on this board.

Noticed no mention of the horrible hate crime last night.
the end result of your post so far is exactly why I don't reply to things like this, It is sad, I agree.

So it is necessary for folks that are of sound mind to talk about that here? Not trying to dodge the sad occurrence but why give that punk the gratification? I come here to leave that mess for a little while. All the media outlets have made sure the situation is getting its just dues of coverage..
Don't like it keep moving.

That's not how the law works... "Hate Crime" goes to motive and is considered as an aggravating factor during sentencing. Doesn't have anything to do with the actus reus i.e. the guilty act (the act committed). You're conceptualizing it too broadly. You're right insomuch as that any person who murders nine people has "hate" to commit such an act in the first place, but in legal terms, a "hate crime" identifies a narrower principle involved in criminal law. Since this guy was specifically targeting black people, the prosecutors are going to prosecute this act as a "hate crime", so that if and when he is convicted, then the sentencing stage of the trial will involve much harsher penalties.

Reactions: m.dan and waldorf
As a life-long Southerner, I have no doubt the mindset of Confederate leaders was to prop their economy up on the backs of slaves. History books tell us as much and because of the way their workforce was structured, they could not survive without the slave trade.

What I think has been lost in these kind of conversations is what the Confederate flag has come to mean vs. what it originally represented. The fact is, it is a military battle flag that was stomped on by the KKK when that evil organization chose it as their own.

Frankly, if there is a flag people should get hot about it should be the flag of the Confederate national government. How many of U know what it looks like? Not many I bet, but because of the KKK, the South's battle flag has been politicized while the government flag, more directly reflective of hateful racial policies, sits quietly out of the limelight and the stream of public consciousness.

Regardless of the political or social stance, a lot of men died fighting for that flag and not all of them did so supporting slavery. In the regular soldier's minds, tbey were fighting and willing to die for their own land and their family's survival, but not for rich plantation owners.

Now 150 years later, while we have the luxury of hindsight to help us debate what was right or wrong during those times, one thing remains: even after all these years and all the advancements we have made as a society when it comes to race relations, we still have a long way to go.

The hideous crime by a deranged 21 year old in Charleston, SC says so. But we can change that hateful mentality and it is up to us to do that, if not for our country's survival, but for those 9 precious souls who now belong to the angels.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
If the kid was on pills, why did daddy give him a 45? Lock daddy and mommy up too in my opinion.

As a life-long Southerner, I have no doubt the mindset of Confederate leaders was to prop their economy up on the backs of slaves. History books tell us as much and because of the way their workforce was structured, they could not survive without the slave trade.

What I think has been lost in these kind of conversations is what the Confederate flag has come to mean vs. what it originally represented. The fact is, it is a military battle flag that was stomped on by the KKK when that evil organization chose it as their own.

Frankly, if there is a flag people should get hot about it should be the flag of the Confederate national government. How many of U know what it looks like? Not many I bet, but because of the KKK, the South's battle flag has been politicized while the government flag, more directly reflective of hateful racial policies, sits quietly out of the limelight and the stream of public consciousness.

Regardless of the political or social stance, a lot of men died fighting for that flag and not all of them did so supporting slavery. In the regular soldier's minds, tbey were fighting and willing to die for their own land and their family's survival, but not for rich plantation owners.

Now 150 years later, while we have the luxury of hindsight to help us debate what was right or wrong during those times, one thing remains: even after all these years and all the advancements we have made as a society when it comes to race relations, we still have a long way to go.

The hideous crime by a deranged 21 year old in Charleston, SC says so. But we can change that hateful mentality and it is up to us to do that, if not for our country's survival, but for those 9 precious souls who now belong to the angels.

Go Canes!

Go Canes!
This is probably the best statement that can be made Atlanta Cane. Excellent

Atlanta,

Come to represent, and did represent are two totally different things. I am an ardent believer in States Rights and small gov, and am somewhat irked about the fact that the South had the temerity to link that crucial issue to their economic prejudices.

Think about it. How precious is that issue right about now? The South will live to severely regret tyi g that loser of an issue to States Rights, and in the end ...... devastating the balance between the State's and the Fed gov.

THIS IS WHEN THAT CHANGE HAPPENED!!!! Like you said...... all for what amounted to less than 175 slave owners that owned more than one slave!!!

The quote below is from Alexander Stephens' famous "Cornerstone Speech," in which he, the Confederate Vice President, "explained what the fundamental differences were between the constitutions of the Confederacy and that of the United States."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

So, I'm not so sure the KKK is the responsible party here in creating the confederate flag or what it symbolizes today.

Reactions: USMC/CANE
Atlanta,

And southerners let the KKK do that. Mind you, the KKK was full of southerners.

This point makes no sense. The confederate flag should be put in a museum. Who cares about another flag.

By fighting they did support slavery. It's implicit in the volunteering.

Classic cop-out.

More cop-out.

Go Canes!

Go Canes!
Thanks for summarizing my thoughts! The rabbit whole of hate is black hole vortex. If anyone took the time and read what really went on from the Arab slave trade to Willie Lynch they would lose their sh!t! There were sick practices being done routinely durning the time of Confederacy. It's all perspective but the truth about those flags ATL speaks of is sick!

Last edited:
Reactions: waldorf
Government is the biggest drug dealers on the block...People hooked on all kinds of pills around this country..

I know several cops around my area and they all say the same thing....Pills are more of a problem in my area than coke, crack, meth, weed combined...

Now this coward last night...If it was up to me, he’d be executed Sunday on live tv, 8pm...
Word!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT