ADVERTISEMENT

Hmmmm. Could we be seeing more of this?

I'd write to Marco Rubio but I think he's drinking water and has no time to get involved. J/K... Maybe...

Yep! Isn't it funny when I say we are going to the mattresses so get ready, a couple of the expert attorneys come here and dismiss this notion? This could turn into a real sh't show fast. This is what I have been saying. If Donna is not happy with what the NCAA comes down with, she will appeal and if that goes nowhere you better believe the gloves will come off.

One of the attorneys were saying all this stuff about what law was broken? We don't have clean hands!!! Blah Blah Blah....that is why we have self imposed to the degree we have. We don't have clean hands but neither does the NCAA and they shouldn't get off scott free here.

What they did at minimum was not ethical. Now I don't know what specific law was broken. I don't really give a sh't because I am sure a good attorney could find some....but I do know that Donna isn't pissed off for no reason.

Nobody knows where this is going to end up...but nothing would suprise me at this point except Donna laying down.

Originally posted by ADDiKT:

I'd write to Marco Rubio but I think he's drinking water and has no time to get involved. J/K... Maybe...
roll.r191677.gif
He loves his bottled water apparently.

Looks like the behind the scenes work of Shalala using her connects
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Well, all the so called experts that called me a moron yesterday? Here is another moron:

I respectfully request that your office begin an investigation into the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) actions during its probe of the University of Miami's athletic program.

NCAA Enforcement Staff violated its own rules and engaged in corrupt behavior in an attempt to manufacture misdeeds against the University of Miami. In so doing, the NCAA has demonstrated a lack of institutional control and may have engaged in unfair trade practices in violation of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA), Chapter 501, Florida Statutes. Since your office is the enforcing authority of FDUTPA, I am requesting that the NCAA's admitted wrongdoing be investigated immediately before the NCAA's witch hunt against the University of Miami causes further damage.

Among other acts of wrongdoing, the NCAA was so desperate to gather evidence against the University of Miami that it made improper payments to a convicted con artist and his lawyer for information that it was not allowed to obtain. The NCAA, which does not have subpoena power, paid thousands of dollars to the con artist's lawyer to gain subpoenaed witness testimony in a bankruptcy case, so that the forbidden information could be used in its investigation. Not only does this abuse the bankruptcy process, but it clearly circumvented the limits of the NCAA's authority. All of these improper activities occurred in South Florida, within the jurisdiction of your economic crimes division.

In addition, the NCAA advised potential witnesses that their silence would be interpreted as validating the claims of the criminal, Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro. This unethical behavior and lack of due process by the NCAA should not be tolerated in our State.

The NCAA's admittedly corrupt investigation has now dragged on for more than two years, and the University of Miami has suffered through this abuse of power. While the NCAA has been paying off a criminal and his lawyer for forbidden fruit, the University of Miami has tried to work cooperatively with the NCAA and has even self-imposed serious sanctions that included a two-year bowl ban and a conference football championship game.

I strongly feel that the NCAA's abuse of power and payoffs must be scrutinized to the fullest extent, especially considering the NCAA's role as a regulatory institution of more than 400,000 students across the nation. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Senator Joseph Abruzzo

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/02/sen-joe-abruzzo-to-fl-attorney-general-pam-bondi-investigate-ncaa-abuse-of-power-in-um-case.html#storylink=addthis#storylink=cpy

and the "little ol grandma" once again says.

Don't f#$k with my children and grandchildren.

Rack'em....

Originally posted by cdwright40:

Well, all the so called experts that called me a moron yesterday? Here is another moron:

I respectfully request that your office begin an investigation into the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) actions during its probe of the University of Miami's athletic program.

NCAA Enforcement Staff violated its own rules and engaged in corrupt behavior in an attempt to manufacture misdeeds against the University of Miami. In so doing, the NCAA has demonstrated a lack of institutional control and may have engaged in unfair trade practices in violation of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA), Chapter 501, Florida Statutes. Since your office is the enforcing authority of FDUTPA, I am requesting that the NCAA's admitted wrongdoing be investigated immediately before the NCAA's witch hunt against the University of Miami causes further damage.

Among other acts of wrongdoing, the NCAA was so desperate to gather evidence against the University of Miami that it made improper payments to a convicted con artist and his lawyer for information that it was not allowed to obtain. The NCAA, which does not have subpoena power, paid thousands of dollars to the con artist's lawyer to gain subpoenaed witness testimony in a bankruptcy case, so that the forbidden information could be used in its investigation. Not only does this abuse the bankruptcy process, but it clearly circumvented the limits of the NCAA's authority. All of these improper activities occurred in South Florida, within the jurisdiction of your economic crimes division.

In addition, the NCAA advised potential witnesses that their silence would be interpreted as validating the claims of the criminal, Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro. This unethical behavior and lack of due process by the NCAA should not be tolerated in our State.

The NCAA's admittedly corrupt investigation has now dragged on for more than two years, and the University of Miami has suffered through this abuse of power. While the NCAA has been paying off a criminal and his lawyer for forbidden fruit, the University of Miami has tried to work cooperatively with the NCAA and has even self-imposed serious sanctions that included a two-year bowl ban and a conference football championship game.

I strongly feel that the NCAA's abuse of power and payoffs must be scrutinized to the fullest extent, especially considering the NCAA's role as a regulatory institution of more than 400,000 students across the nation. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Senator Joseph Abruzzo

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/02/sen-joe-abruzzo-to-fl-attorney-general-pam-bondi-investigate-ncaa-abuse-of-power-in-um-case.html#storylink=addthis#storylink=cpy

It's a waste of time.

This post was edited on 2/21 5:08 PM by NaplesCane

I think everyone on here is capable of understanding that the letter is not expected to receive a substantive response. Regardless, it is still good for us...

Not a waste of time !!!! I can't say i expect the state to really open an investigation but when Senators, such as this, and other influential people start writing statements like this people notice. Even people within the NCAA. It lets them know that everyone is watching and that can't be a waste of time

You're right tallcane, especially since Shalala is a Clinton democrat and our Governor, Attorney General, and the majority of the state legislature are Republicans. I just don't see any bi-partisan effort to try to go after the NCAA. Also, most of these politicians are Florida and Florida State grads. I just don't see them trying to help a private University.

The NCAA couldn't care less what the FL Attorney General does, unless she is walking to Federal Court to file a suit, which I highly doubt she will ever do.

Now, if the U.S. Attorney General gets involved, then that's a WHOLE different story, and one I would love to see...

First, he's not a Senator, he's a local representative. Second, the NCAA doesn't give a crap what he thinks.

Anyone here who said the NCAA does not care about the Florida Ag's office is wrong. Now, I completely agree that the AG's office wont care about this but if the AG's office wanted to make themselves a pain in the NCAA's rear, they could easily do so.

Originally posted by NaplesCane:
First, he's not a Senator, he's a local representative. Second, the NCAA doesn't give a crap what he thinks.
NaplesCane, he is a state senator. Also, the point wasn't for the NCAA to start caring what he thinks bro. The point was this is something that will go to the Attorney General. It doesn't matter what the NCAA thinks. It matters what judge and/or jurys think.

I will also say, this is something that is a nice feather in the caps of politicians to take on the NCAA. However, this illustrates that there are a lot of people out there that do not agree with you. They feel that this is worth fighting. Going to the mattress's.

A lot of people who are not morons.

NaplesCane, he is a state senator. Also, the point wasn't for the NCAA to start caring what he thinks bro. The point was this is something that will go to the Attorney General. It doesn't matter what the NCAA thinks. It matters what judge and/or jurys think.

I will also say, this is something that is a nice feather in the caps of politicians to take on the NCAA. However, this illustrates that there are a lot of people out there that do not agree with you. They feel that this is worth fighting. Going to the mattress's.

I don't live on that coast anymore so I didn't know that he switched. It will never get to a judge or jury, that's why it's a waste of time.

I don't live on that coast anymore so I didn't know that he switched. It will never get to a judge or jury, that's why it's a waste of time.
Well the fact that nobody knows that and it possibly would serve a purpose of not needing to if Donna gets what she wants. Nobody wants it to. Niether party wants it to. However, the fact is the possibility exist.
This post was edited on 2/21 6:02 PM by cdwright40

Originally posted by eplanas:

You're right tallcane, especially since Shalala is a Clinton democrat and our Governor, Attorney General, and the majority of the state legislature are Republicans. I just don't see any bi-partisan effort to try to go after the NCAA. Also, most of these politicians are Florida and Florida State grads. I just don't see them trying to help a private University.
That stuff is only pertinent when things go to committee. This isn't partisan politics. It is about having a case or not having a case because nobody in court will care who is democrat and who is republican or who graduated from where.IIt isn't a sports bar. This would never go to committee on the state level. Their job isn't to decide which partisan interest are. It doesn't matter if Miami is a private or public University. They are public servants....and anything that is popular helps them get re-elected. What is popular is going against the NCAA. Even if it weren't popular. There is an obligation to proceed based purely on merit. If not, they will get voted out.....

The partisanship stuff doesn't really apply.

A lot are missing the point, she tried to settle they said FU; we want your program to go down, she said ok; I'll expose the ENTIRE investigation from a neutral party. She knows what they have on us (NOA), but no one has a clue as to how they obtained to other evidence. If they get an unbiased party to scrutinize the entire investigation (phone records, per diem [paying for things other than NCAA approved functions] cooberating sources...) and publish that report, if other transgressions are found...the NCAA would be in deep ish for tying to hide their wrong doings (Emmert only allowed a portion of the investigation to be reviewed, they know damn well if they broke rules) they would have no legs to stand on (you see that they are trying to stone wall the LA judge from making public how they investigated USC).

Originally posted by USMC/CANE:
A lot are missing the point, she tried to settle they said FU; we want your program to go down, she said ok; I'll expose the ENTIRE investigation from a neutral party. She knows what they have on us (NOA), but no one has a clue as to how they obtained to other evidence. If they get an unbiased party to scrutinize the entire investigation (phone records, per diem [paying for things other than NCAA approved functions] cooberating sources...) and publish that report, if other transgressions are found...the NCAA would be in deep ish for tying to hide their wrong doings (Emmert only allowed a portion of the investigation to be reviewed, they know damn well if they broke rules) they would have no legs to stand on (you see that they are trying to stone wall the LA judge from making public how they investigated USC).
That is exactly the point.

When the NCAA reviews and investigates isn't the same thing as a neutral party investigating/making judgement on the matter. People act like Miami is the only entity with something to lose. The NCAA has a lot to lose. They rely on their credibility and I am sure they do not want to spend all of their time in court. THis could set a precedent they clearly want to avoid. A university beating them on merit for all the others to see. It is like any other entity. They have missions. They are no more interested in this getting to a courtroom than we are. I truely believe that. This is bad PR for them for months on end with no assurance they will win anything. The likelyhood that they will lose. It would be good for Miami on principle although expensive. Miami wins the PR battle here. As much as people hate Miami, they hate the NCAA more because they are bullies.

That stuff is only pertinent when things go to committee. This isn't partisan politics. It is about having a case or not having a case because nobody in court will care who is democrat and who is republican or who graduated from where.IIt isn't a sports bar. This would never go to committee on the state level. Their job isn't to decide which partisan interest are. It doesn't matter if Miami is a private or public University. They are public servants....and anything that is popular helps them get re-elected. What is popular is going against the NCAA. Even if it weren't popular. There is an obligation to proceed based purely on merit. If not, they will get voted out.....

The partisanship stuff doesn't really apply

Cd, the problem is that the people who run the state don't give a crap for Miami-Dade county. They don't like us very much and don't think highly of us either. For these politicians to act there must be something in it for them and honestly, I just don't see it. Why would they put themselves out on a limb for a University that's located in Miami where most of these politicians in power are from North Florida where most of their constituents are Florida and Florida State fans. If their voters see them helping a rival school they would never get re-elected.

The partisanship stuff doesn't really apply

Cd, the problem is that the people who run the state don't give a crap for Miami-Dade county. They don't like us very much and don't think highly of us either. For these politicians to act there must be something in it for them and honestly, I just don't see it. Why would they put themselves out on a limb for a University that's located in Miami where most of these politicians in power are from North Florida where most of their constituents are Florida and Florida State fans. If their voters see them helping a rival school they would never get re-elected.
Like I said. It isn't a partisan issue though and it doesn't go to committee. Politicians aren't taking sides on this...and believe me these politicians aren't stupid. When they write a letter like this? They have already reviewed all the political ramifications and assessed what it in it for them. This guy is not new to how this works. He has been in the game a long time.

Cd , I'm with you but I just don't have any faith in politicians anymore.

Cd , I'm with you but I just don't have any faith in politicians anymore.
Me either really. There typically has to be something in it for them....but this is something he is handing off to the attorney general. Now, that office may decide it isn't worth pursuing. You never know...but I suspect they don't want that to come back on them in the election cycle. The NCAA is very unpopular now. Even more unpopular than Miami as almost every poll out there shows.

The fact that politicians are even discussing this is very significant.

Politicians follow public opinion.

And eventually political action can result.

Not sure if this gets to critical mass, but it is significant regardless.

Yep! Isn't it funny when I say we are going to the mattresses so get ready, a couple of the expert attorneys come here and dismiss this notion? This could turn into a real sh't show fast. This is what I have been saying. If Donna is not happy with what the NCAA comes down with, she will appeal and if that goes nowhere you better believe the gloves will come off.

One of the attorneys were saying all this stuff about what law was broken? We don't have clean hands!!! Blah Blah Blah....that is why we have self imposed to the degree we have. We don't have clean hands but neither does the NCAA and they shouldn't get off scott free here.

What they did at minimum was not ethical. Now I don't know what specific law was broken. I don't really give a sh't because I am sure a good attorney could find some....but I do know that Donna isn't pissed off for no reason.

Nobody knows where this is going to end up...but nothing would suprise me at this point except Donna laying down.
You still at it? Feelings hurt. Sorry.
First the letter means little. There are 40 FL State Senators. Does the DTPA apply to the NCAA as a non profit association? No. Does the NCAA like this type of publicity? No But they really don't seem all that concerned

As do you I commend Donna for a forceful tough responses to both the report and NOA. Unprecedented really. It did lay out what the U's posture would be as the proces goes forward. And we all agree that at the end of the day , we may have to go with the nuclear option. That day is far away
BUT the reality is that the U was not able , for whatever reason, to get a prompt resolution. If one wants to catagorize what will now occur as "going to the mattress's" great. I classify it as a legal nightmare. Complex , expensive litigation.
The reality is we are now in a long drawn out process whereby our lawyers and adiminstation will be refuting charges levied by a corrupt investigation unit. The process will be long It will arudous. The lawyers will be polite to one another during the hearings and hopefully the COI sees things our way. But make no mistake we are now playing the game on their home court and will be for a while.

A State Senator writing such a letter is not a waste of time. Without a doubt tha AG will respond to the letter. Even though she may say there is nothing she can do about the NCAA matter. Partisan politics is a non issue. Does not matter what Football school you support as most Floridians could not give a damn about College Football. In short, Football fans are in the minority. And of course the NCAA cares. They do not wish to get up with Politicians. And they cannot say "mind your own business!"

Hmmm never saw that one, though I did see your Godfather reference attempting to preach what everyone already said since the NCAA revealed they f*$ked up. Well done, another stellar copy and paste job with a movie reference.
happy0005.r191677.gif

UM

Originally posted by ddimaggio:

You still at it? Feelings hurt. Sorry.
First the letter means little. There are 40 FL State Senators. Does the DTPA apply to the NCAA as a non profit association? No. Does the NCAA like this type of publicity? No But they really don't seem all that concerned

As do you I commend Donna for a forceful tough responses to both the report and NOA. Unprecedented really. It did lay out what the U's posture would be as the proces goes forward. And we all agree that at the end of the day , we may have to go with the nuclear option. That day is far away
BUT the reality is that the U was not able , for whatever reason, to get a prompt resolution. If one wants to catagorize what will now occur as "going to the mattress's" great. I classify it as a legal nightmare. Complex , expensive litigation.
The reality is we are now in a long drawn out process whereby our lawyers and adiminstation will be refuting charges levied by a corrupt investigation unit. The process will be long It will arudous. The lawyers will be polite to one another during the hearings and hopefully the COI sees things our way. But make no mistake we are now playing the game on their home court and will be for a while.
Yeah, you really hurt my feelings. Let's go with that if it gets you through the day.....lol

The letter means nothing to YOU. It actually means something to the person that wrote the letter. It wasn't for YOUR benefit in mind however. So, while you preach to us about how moronic we are about entertaining the idea that this will be a fist fight on the matresses, you will look rather foolish while you will see letters like this for example.

What does getting a prompt resolution have to do with it? Obviously, that is the purpose of the letter from the senator and Donna.

Of course it will be a long and expensive litigation. You think Donna is stupid or something? Everyone knows that. However, it doesn't mean they won't do it.

I don't think you have the right mentality here. Everything is done for a reason. These are people that understand the ramifications of a law suit. This isn't their first rodeo. You have to prepare to go to the matresses or you aren't worth the hair on your ass. You are just a puss. One that is afraid to stand up to the bully.

Originally posted by Blue Bishop25:
A State Senator writing such a letter is not a waste of time. Without a doubt tha AG will respond to the letter. Even though she may say there is nothing she can do about the NCAA matter. Partisan politics is a non issue. Does not matter what Football school you support as most Floridians could not give a damn about College Football. In short, Football fans are in the minority. And of course the NCAA cares. They do not wish to get up with Politicians. And they cannot say "mind your own business!"
People spend their time doing what they feel is useful. So, I am sure the Florida State Senator doesn't feel the way that you do....or he wouldn't have taken time out of his day to write it.

I think what many of you are having a tough time understanding is what you think is a waste of time and energy is not necessarily shared with everyone. It isn't shared by the Senator obviously. It isn't shared by Donna. It isn't shared by the ACC Commissioner. THat is because they are not weak people. They understand the ramifications involved. Believe me, they are not into wasting their time. People of principle don't back down. People that have a defeatest attitude will always back down. That is only because that is how they live their lives. Safe. Never questioning anything in authority.....but the fact of the matter is that is how this very country we live in was built.

Taxation without representation was not illegal. It wasn't right...and trust me. The British had a lot more power than the NCAA does in this case....lol. You have to stand for something or you will fall for anything. You have to have principles in your life or you aren't worth the hair on your ass to me. You are just wasting oxygen here. Regardless of the odds, you have to stand up for yourself just as a matter of principle. You have to be willing to pay the price because that is how you get disrespected in the first place. The NCAA doesn't feel that anyone will stand up to them. Otherwise they would never do it.

The U.S> house took up the NCAA's excesses in 2004 and got a promise from the NCAA to be more fair and transparent. That clearly hasnt happened. So people saying the NCAA can act without constraints here at the COI level are wrong. There will be exhorbitant pressure for the COI to only consider well proven allegations and nothing else. Its the only way to save face and regain the public trust.

Originally posted by sabrose:
The U.S> house took up the NCAA's excesses in 2004 and got a promise from the NCAA to be more fair and transparent. That clearly hasnt happened. So people saying the NCAA can act without constraints here at the COI level are wrong. There will be exhorbitant pressure for the COI to only consider well proven allegations and nothing else. Its the only way to save face and regain the public trust.
I do think the ending has been already written. And it's a great ending. Great post.

We are all better off when our politicians focus on this and other issues like Roger Clemens, instead of jobs, infrastructure, and national security.

Well, what politicians focus on is subjective isn't it?

They are politicians. They are going to focus on what gets them elected and re-elected by their constituents. A lot of districts focus on what I would rather they not focus on. Unfortuantely, it doesn't matter. They will focus on what works for them. The good ones try to combine what works for them politically with their own principles if they are lucky. Sometims the really popular politicians can focus on their priciples first and foremost.

Politics is a big boy game. Pretty much thankless. You can't be all things to all people.

I think there is a misconception between what we deem is important and what politicians deem is important. Sometimes you can be uninformed and sometimes you can be over informed.

The bottom line is this whole game is about relationships. Bethune Cookman trying to take on the NCAA isn't the same as Florida trying to take on the NCAA. Miami taking on the NCAA isnt' the same as a lot of other schools.

Politics is relationships. You have relationships, you have more power....and that is the bottom line. What some see as moronic or even posturing doesn't fall into that catagory necessarily.

There are many precedents. Many have taken on the NCAA and won. It isn't as far fetched as people think it is. It is a long, drawn out, expensive ordeal but that doesn't mean everyone isn't willing to do it...or it is moronic to everyone just because it is moronic to some. I have seen it happen too many times to mention. What seems moronic has been done successfully.

Donna has those relationships where if she wants to take on the NCAA, I think she would know exactly what she is getting into better than some Canesport member.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT