ADVERTISEMENT

Jackie Robinson Day?

majus12

SuperCane
Oct 15, 2004
Respectfully and WITHOUT ANY HINT OF RACISM, just curious as to made for profit holidays!
Like Secretaries Day, Bosses Day etc REALLY?

OK we have mothers/fathers day, Valentines Day, Ground Hog Day, April fools day, etc.... and National holidays,(Including Martin luther King Day), when is enough enough???
Do we need a Chavez Day?, Nelson Mandella day???? maybe a "I woke up this morning day?"

While I respect and admire JR, since when does it qualify for a day?
Sorry, no offense to anyone, just tired of capitalism! Funny how it was never mentioned before, and is on the same weekend the movie came out

Thoughts anyone?

I think it's more of a baseball thing, just a day to pay tribute. Idk if they ever thought it would be a holiday, but is it and actual holiday? Cuz it's not on my calendar for 2013 here at work lol
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by majus12:
Respectfully and WITHOUT ANY HINT OF RACISM, just curious as to made for profit holidays!
Like Secretaries Day, Bosses Day etc REALLY?

OK we have mothers/fathers day, Valentines Day, Ground Hog Day, April fools day, etc.... and National holidays,(Including Martin luther King Day), when is enough enough???
Do we need a Chavez Day?, Nelson Mandella day???? maybe a "I woke up this morning day?"

While I respect and admire JR, since when does it qualify for a day?
Sorry, no offense to anyone, just tired of capitalism! Funny how it was never mentioned before, and is on the same weekend the movie came out

Thoughts anyone?
Capitalism is for the birds- I look at North Korea and think to myself- we need to be more like them...
ohwell.r191677.gif

Now, with resepect to your main point, I would not be opposed to a Jackie Robinson Day as a holiday... Athletes often transcend not only the culture within their sport but the culture outside of the sport. And Jackie Robinson certaintly did that, along with players such as Muhammad Ali, Jesse Owens, Tiger Woods, Roberto Clemente, and even our own Ray Bellamy, who became the first black college football player at the University of Miami, let alone in a "Southern School"... But should we have a national holiday for every black athlete who transcended sports on and off the field...??? It's an interesting question. Nevertheless, Jackie Robinson opened the door for many minorities, and his contributions to the game of baseball should always be appreciated.
This post was edited on 4/15 12:08 PM by advarkas

It's a baseball holiday nothing to do with the national holidays. Calm down buddy you probably dont like how the NBA does the Hispanic heritage campaign either lol.

Think you should watch the movie 42 too maybe you won't be so mad.

The OP is an ignorant moron! How about studying the history of Jackie Robinson before sounding like a blithering idiot?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT