ADVERTISEMENT

Live Thread: Miami Vs. Indiana Basketball Round of 32 NCAA Tournament

This is Canes Basketball. Indiana Coach Mike Woodson just said the Hoosiers are complaining too much, bodes well for the Hurricanes.

Love the aggressiveness from Wong right now. He's 3-6 from the field and has 8 points with 3:37 left in the first half.

Canes don't have the same energy as they started the with. Hoosiers suddenly have a 43-42 lead.

Back and fourth battle here in the second half. Miami leading in paint points 30-24 and Miami is leading in rebounds 29-23.

Wong bouncing back in a big way in this round of 32 game. He's got 18 points and 7 boards. Canes up ten.

MIAMI HURRICANES POSTGAME NOTES
- The Hurricanes made three 2-point field goals in the first two minutes, eclipsing their total (two) from the entire first half Friday night against Drake in the Round of 64.
- Both teams shot exactly 4-of-10 (40.0 percent) from 3-point range in the first half.
- Two Miami starters, Omier and sophomore guard Wooga Poplar, played just eight minutes each in the first half due to foul trouble.
- Between the final 54 seconds of the first half and the first 2:18 of the second frame, Indiana went on a 13-0 run over 3:14 of action- Miami moved to 13-11 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including 9-5 under Larrañaga, 4-4 as a lower seed, 2-1 as the fifth seed, 10-9 as a single-digit seed, 1-0 versus fourth seeds, 5-7 against single-digit seeds, 1-0 in 4/5 games, 2-0 in New York, 5-2 in the second round and 3-2 against Big Ten teams.
- This is the first time in program history Miami has reached the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 in consecutive seasons.
- Larrañaga now owns 723 victories in his 39-year career, tying Jerry Slocum for No. 31 on the all-time wins list (min. five years at a Division I school).
- Miami’s 27 victories tie for the second-most in program history, equaling the mark in 2015-16 and trailing only the 29 triumphs in 2012-13.
- With 53 wins over the last two seasons, Miami has set a new program record for victories in a two-year span, eclipsing the prior record of 52 set from 2014-16.
- The Hurricanes’ streak of nine consecutive games determined by single digits, tied with Winthrop for the longest active streak in the nation according to Stats Perform, came to an end, as Miami had a double-digit margin for the first time since an 81-59 win over RV/No. 24 Duke on 2/6/23.- Miami has scored 63-plus points in all 34 games it has played this season, one of just five teams—the others are Gonzaga (34), Marshall (32), Toledo (35) and Youngstown State (34)—to do so in every outing this year, per Stats Perform.
- The Hurricanes’ victory extended the ACC’s all-time record streak of consecutive Sweet 16 appearances to 43, a stretch that dates back to 1980.
- Omier now has the top two NCAA Tournament single-game rebounding totals by a Hurricane, as his 14 in the first-round win over Drake on 3/17/23 rank second.- Wong passed both Rion Brown (2010-14) and Guillermo Diaz (2003-06) to enter the top 10 on Miami’s all-time made 3-pointers list, placing ninth with 175.
- Wong passed DJ Vasiljevic (2016-20) and tied Julian Gamble (2008-11; 2012-13) for seventh place on Miami’s all-time games played list with 129.
- Wong passed Kevin Norris (1994-98) and tied Robert Hite (2002-06) for third place on the Hurricanes’ all-time starts leaderboard with 109.
- Omier passed Wayne Canady (1969-70), Bill Soens (1966-67) and Mike McCoy (1961-62) to go from No. 11 to eighth on Miami’s single-season rebounding list with 342.
- Omier passed Jimmy Graham (2007-08) and Ron Godfrey (1959-60) to move into a five-way for eighth place on the Hurricanes’ single-season personal fouls list with 100, the 12th occurrence of a player reaching triple digits.

Will Miami wave the flag for the ACC and get a win tonight?

If not, the ACC will bounce out of the tournament without making it to the sweet 16 for the first time in 42 years.

The ACC may be down but at least Miami’s the one on top…in basketball right now.
Good morning Marcus,
I had to respond/react to the exchange you had with the Indiana Rivals guy. I admire your composure. He was so condescending toward the ACC and Miami. I understand he is loyal to Indiana , but that was too much.
He is eating ______ this morning. At the end of the conversation you said we will see. Now we see very clearly.

Good morning Marcus,
I had to respond/react to the exchange you had with the Indiana Rivals guy. I admire your composure. He was so condescending toward the ACC and Miami. I understand he is loyal to Indiana , but that was too much.
He is eating ______ this morning. At the end of the conversation you said we will see. Now we see very clearly.
Thanks for the comment. The game definitely proved my point. No way Indiana should have been favored in that game. There is a clear national bias toward Miami and only because Duke and UNC weren't at the top of the conference, the perception is that the ACC is down. The Big Ten is probably the most overrated conference in the country and the tournament is showing that. He was the epitome of that notion. I should have definitely clapped back on him but I held back.

I knew Miami would dominate that game and I should have emphasized that more. Indiana has one superstar and Miami has four players that can take over a game. Canes have the right formula to make it far. Before Omier's injury I thought Miami could make it to the final four. Clearly his injury is a non factor. Houston will be a tough game and Miami is a seven point underdog. Again, clearly no respect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT