OT-Ebola is an airborne virus

sabrose

SuperCane
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2006
"The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy
(CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers
for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that
"there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles," including exhaled breath.

CIDRAP is warning that surgical
facemasks do not prevent transmission of Ebola, and healthcare
professionals (HCP) must immediately be outfitted with full-hooded
protective gear and powered air-purifying respirators."

Call your congressmen and insist on a full quarantine for W african travelers and others exposed to Ebola. I know this isnt a football topic but as a physician I need to bring out this info and alert people.It explains the infections in numerous healthcare workers because they weren't wearing proper respirators to prevent airborne transmission of the virus. The nurse in Dallas didnt have a respirator or proper clothing to isolate her. It was just triple gloves a gown and a splash guard on her face and surgical mask. The cdc didnt send respirators until the patient already known to be infected was there for 3 days.
The head of the CDC refuses to stop flights from W africa and is not quarantining these individuals-just one fever screen even though incubation is up to 21 days.. It also has not been proven that only symptomatic patients with fever can spread the virus.As a physician I find it inconceivable that our government is failing to protect us.

No brag Steve, but my brother and I are both biology majors and I'm retired Army CBRN. We've been speaking frequently about the virus and my contention a few days ago w/ him was that I believed this virus could attach itself to airborne dust particles and survive for a period of time under certain conditions while suspended in the air making it a respiratory or ingestion hazard. He was more skeptical.

That said, before any of the concerns really broke a few days ago about the protocol problems, I had suspect all that when doctors were getting infected. It was obvious. Anyways, a few mornings ago I pulled up the CDC manual for Infection Control for Viral and Haemorrihagic Fevers in the African Health Care Setting, and was surprised to find glaring problems/discrepancies/or a lack thereof of information regarding their protective equipment, wear of equipment, fixed dressing/undressing procedures, decontamination, and health care worker training since these are "highly" perishable skills and must be repeatedly trained and practiced to maintain proficiency.

The Army long ago pretty-much invented all the procedures above for CBRN hazards and I'm not impressed at all with the CDC's handling of this crisis to include the overall medical community in general. Misstep after misstep. I sarcastically thought yesterday that the Director probably never spent one minute suited up and has never undergone any of what I mention above. My advice to him is to get the military involved to assist, advise and give a 2nd look at every protective and preventive protocol they're advocating and taking for this virus. They're sending 3K military supposedly over to W.Africa, but I wonder if any CBRN assets will be part of the task force. Army CBRN are the experts, not the medical field!

Lastly what concerns me is a need for standardizing and agreeing upon the right equipment to use that will protect our health care workers as they treat infected patients. There seems to be little continuity and although the Director, CDC is probably a wonderful doctor, he doesn't strike me as an effective leader just from what I've seen of him over the past several months and most recently.

Nuff said, but he better get his shyt together. A good book on this subject if anyone's even interested by the way, is The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Very informative about the different strains of the birus and an interesting somewhat true story.....not 100% nonfiction tho, but pretty damn accurate for the most part. I read it years ago.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Alaskan Cane:
How do you account for the fact that this BIG NEWS is not a front page or even a headline on the CIDRAP page?

Link: CIDRAP main page[/URL]

Trust me when I say, and I am an expert in this field, the CDC is stepping all over their dyks and Steve's concerns are valid.....not gonna talk the politics part, but all the other stuff dead balls accurate.

I don't care what is posted. Every time you read the paper or watch TV there's a different message from the CDC. They are learning as they go and this is a travesty that they're still behind the 8 ball.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We were having the same convo in our shop (Fires not CBRN - you dudes are crazy as sh1t Sgt Maj!) and we all asked how did a doc have an un-secured kit on? When they go to their respective MOPP level don't they do buddy checks? Wow!

Sabrose, I have already called my congressman. That traitor in the white house won't even secure the Mexican border and neither will Congress. A republican congressman from California has stated that the Border Patrol has already intercepted ten ISIS coming across and the border. How many have come across the border undetected and in this country now and not counting the home grown Muslims who want to install Sharia in this country and fighting for ISIS overseas. You cross into Mexico illegally and they will throw you into jail and deport you or in the case of the marine who is still rotting in the jail and this congress doesn't care nor does Obama. The whole government in DC is corrupt and doesn't care.
And I will predict this. If the people put the same criminals back in congress there will be civil war in the United States. The American people have no clue to how close we are in this country to a total financial and economic collapse. No country can run up the amount of debt as we have in this country and survive.

Originally posted by USMC/CANE:
We were having the same convo in our shop (Fires not CBRN - you dudes are crazy as sh1t Sgt Maj!) and we all asked how did a doc have an un-secured kit on? When they go to their respective MOPP level don't they do buddy checks? Wow!
In around the mid 2000s, '05 or '07 (hard to remember cause I was all over the map as a BD govt contractor), I was on a LSD ship docked in Norfolk (maybe The Ashland....can't remember) looking at a bio item and received a tour. Your NCO MOS-trained Fires guys should know about the equipment I viewed. I have to leave it there, but it amazed me how Sailors and Marines can live in those tight-quartered ships for extended periods of time. This was not a new ship either. Geezus, the farting and snoring would drive me nuts LOL.

Notice how the Dallas hospital is already "lawyering up"? It's evident in their statements. Complete incompetency and boy are they gonna get sued by those nurses who got infected on the job. Just watch that play out. Also, the CDC may be liable based on the govt employee who told that nurse she could fly. If someone on that plane happens to get infected.....oh my gawd. And Mr. Duncan's family have more-than-valid lawsuit too.

I have not seen one CBRN expert on the news and that bothers me because the medical community is NOT the authority on the proper training, the protective equipment required, decontamination, and the fixed dressing and undressing procedures and precautions required against biological agents, which this could very well turn into (think Steve's comments on terrorism and their ability to become infected, the vector if you will, and easily spread this everywhere and everywhere). One only has to look at the missteps that continue even tonight and it's getting worrisome. I have an old M17A2 in my garage along w/ a hood and a spare set of green filters. Too bad for my wife tho. Only have one and you know how that goes. Low man on the pole (her) get no mask cause I'm too valuable to society. LOL

This post was edited on 10/15 10:41 PM by SoldierCane

One other problem I failed to mention is the lack of standardized CBRN equipment throughout the U.S. in jurisdictions everywhere......think 1st Responders, much less our medical personnel having the right equipment to protect against Ebola, nor any minimum standardized level of protective equipment and protection required.

It's a real problem and a real mess. Why? Lack of the right people running the show and an unwillingness for someone to step in and require it. Some will complain more govt intervention, but in this fight it's necessary, which is why I believe the Army (i.e., Army & contractor doctors that are stationed at Ft. Dietrich, MD, and CBRN experts, all as directed by the Pentagon) should take the lead here under the hat of a CBRN military czar......someone that can lead. I have a 3-star guy in mind. CDC can be a necessary subordinate entity to that command.

Fort Dietrich Info

Go Canes!! Gotta keep my priorities straight.
t147.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT