ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where is the outrage over Kentucky player's comments?

anon_ooavwelzdfp8n

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2011
Why isn't the media going all in on Andrew Harrison's racist comments?

Is there any doubt that if the situation was reversed, Kaminsky's career would be over.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Im thinking because he called Kaminsky the N word, its just too confusing for the media to make something out of it.

Maybe if he said..."I hate that white boy" it would have been different?

I'm surprised too but it wouldn't be warranted.

He clearly wasn't being racist. It's a generic term that most younger people use in everyday conversation. Don't get me wrong that word certainly can be used in a highly derogatory, racist, offensive way; however, that is not the context that Harrison was using it in.

The racial divide in this country is has not and will not change...

Originally posted by CANE1983:

He clearly wasn't being racist. It's a generic term that most younger people use in everyday conversation. Don't get me wrong that word certainly can be used in a highly derogatory, racist, offensive way; however, that is not the context that Harrison was using it in.
Agree with you, in that case it is more of a slang than racist.

Originally posted by azcanes:

Except that if a white player would have used the same "slang" term, the media and civil rights activists wouldn't let it rest until the player could never play again.

Not that I think that a black player calling a white guy the n word is racist (and wouldn't make much sense), but how do you know that he didn't intend it in a racist way?

Are white people really so insecure that they want "outrage" over this? Wow.

Originally posted by michae...ol.com:

Except that if a white player would have used the same "slang" term, the media and civil rights activists wouldn't let it rest until the player could never play again.

Not that I think that a black player calling a white guy the n word is racist (and wouldn't make much sense), but how do you know that he didn't intend it in a racist way?
I'm not so sure..it definitely depends on the context. White people use the slang term too.

Originally posted by hisuleiman:

I'm not so sure..it definitely depends on the context. White people use the slang term too.

In public, to strangers, or to the media? Lol not that I have ever seen.

michaelmtripp,

listen when I black person calls a white person the n word there are a number of thing they could be referring to none of them being racist.in this case he could have easily said F THAT MF.but when a white person uses the n word there is no question his intent.

Originally posted by mmako11:
Originally posted by hisuleiman:

In public, to strangers, or to the media? Lol not that I have ever seen.
Not that I have either.. I'm just saying that, if the media caught a white player (for example) using the N-word as slang around his fellow teammates, I don't think it would be a big deal. The very most I could see happening, if the media decides to make a story out of it, is a discussion on whether it's appropriate to use that word period.

The bottom line is that the word is a bad word that should not be used. The fact that people find it acceptable to be used as slang is ridiculous. I am not saying that he should be condemned for the comments as much as maybe it is time for society as a whole to make a stand and say that any use of the word is unacceptable. And maybe we can't get there but not to try is a shame.

You can dress it up however you want but if the roles were reversed there most certainly would be outrage. There shouldn't be, but there would be. Just a fact. Bottom line, I'm not Kaminsky or Harrison. I don't care. Just words by an emotional kid. Cut him a break and don't make a big deal out of it.

Originally posted by slbear07:

michaelmtripp,

listen when I black person calls a white person the n word there are a number of thing they could be referring to none of them being racist.in this case he could have easily said F THAT MF.but when a white person uses the n word there is no question his intent.
roll.r191677.gif

The justification being used to defend this dudes idiotic statements is baffling, simply baffling.

Originally posted by laukerman01:

Originally posted by slbear07:

michaelmtripp,

roll.r191677.gif

The justification being used to defend this dudes idiotic statements is baffling, simply baffling.
There is no justification here, but I think you are a OLD MAN and I understand why you would think the N word use as a slang is idiotic.

He shouldn't have said that at all. But a Black man calling a white man nigga isn't racist to me.

Originally posted by swaggerforlife:

You can bet your backside that if the situation was reversed Kblec.. Well.. U know the rest..
So what? It still doesn't bother me. Not sure why it bothers you or anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT