ADVERTISEMENT

Top Athlete decommits from OK due to racist video

I brought up the SEC as an example, since I've heard similar stories from some of those schools (e.g., yet Miami kids still go). I could be very wrong but I don't think most kids care that much.. It's the south.. They gotta know shit like this happens to a certain extent, unfortunately.. I was saying, at the end of the day, kids just want a winning program and to be drafted.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If he switch's to Texas you know it's just an excuse.

Yeah but dont underestimate just how much more it bothers someone when it gets put out there in the media.
Everything gets magnified.
That said, his commitment maybe wasnt super rock solid to begin with.

Going from one stereotype to the other.

NO, just because the school is in the South does not mean it has these problems. I did hear stories about Bama frats.... but that is about it.

Case in point.... OK is not part of The South.

I think it is weak that a kid would not go to a school because a few freaking ignorant morons are racist. You will find these types everywhere, including the University of Miami. If he thinks he will avoid stupid people like those guys who made that video at another school, he is in for a rough 4-5 years.

That "reporter" is so full of it. That kid had been looking elsewhere for about a month. That vid was just an easy out for him to make.

Well said KL there is ignorant people everywhere, If this video influenced him to change a life decision that hopefully he had done some research on, then like you said he is probably in for a long haul.

SMDH, it's weak? Lmao that shit you just said was weak. It's scary that white people still do this type of shit, but what's even worst is the reaction of some of you fukin idiots!!

"Going from one stereotype to the other.

NO, just because the school is in the South does not mean it has these problems. I did hear stories about Bama frats.... but that is about it.

Case in point.... OK is not part of The South."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is in a sense true but I just can't fathom if I were a person of color sending my kid to Ole Miss, Alabama, Miss State, Auburn etc.

Some of these schools in the SEC were so far on the wrong side of history it's not even funny. Not to mention weather people want to admit it or not these states most of these schools are in are some of the most racist states in the country.

I mean Alabama didn't have black players on there team until the 70's. Yes that's correct the 70's.

I'm old enough to remember when I was a kid (not too too long ago) when Ole Miss was fighting tooth and nail to keep there confederate flag. This was like the 90's early 2000's and they still sing "Dixie" for gods sake.

I mean this was really the straw that broke the camels back with Golden for me when We the University of Miami were being called racist by these institutions. Pure insanity, but that's what were dealing with now.

OvenDoor,

That's a Hollywood version of history to a large extent....... and one that convinienly makes it a black and white issue. (No pun intended)

This is a version of history that forgets that lynching took place just as much in the North as in the South.

It forgets that it was the North that put up segregation when the emancipated blacks migrated North.

It forgets that it was the North that tried to repatriate blacks to Africa.

It forgets that it was the Ivy League schools that taught eugenics and white supremacist concepts.

It forgets that it was the North that closed the doors to Jews escaping the Holocaust.

The North South stereotype is waaaaay oversimplified.

The Northern Abolitionists may have been against enslaving Africans...... but that did NOT mean that they wanted them in the country or considered them as equal.

Some of the most vile and racially charged publications came from ex Abolitionists that wanted blacks sent back after being emancipated.

OK, but we are talking about football. These schools openly didn't allow black kids to play for there schools until USC came in and laid the wood on Alabama in the 70's to a large extent.

Nowhere in the USA is perfect where it comes to race relations but from a football context, you still see confederate flags at ole miss games and the SEC is clearly the biggest offender. To claim northern schools are as bad is comical, or to claim any of the northern states have racial issues to the degree an Alabama or Mississippi at this point in time is comical.

Not to mention, the Northern schools, even Ivy league schools were letting black student's attend in the 1850's, where as it took an act of congress to get some of these SEC schools to let Black students in nearly 120 years later.

I find it hard to believe a Jewish person sending there kid to play for a school who passes around Nazil flags in the stands during there games.

It's a weird, strange thing that a kid from Miami would want to go live and play for Alabama or Ole Miss two schools with atrocious racial records that are pretty recent. I have never really understood it but I'm not a person of color so I can't really comment on it.

As far as Nazi flags...... look up Hitler ' s foreign press secretary. ...... welcomed with open arms at his Alma mater..... Harvard.

Yale and Columbia BOTH had extensive exchange programs with Hitler ' s government..... and their school presidents were openly Nazi supporters before the war.

Jesus,

You're completely insane. Ever heard of a guy named Jim Brown? I'm pretty sure he went to Syracuse before Ernie Davis.

We are talking about
TODAY. 2015, not the 1930's and 40's. Ole Miss fans still pass around
Confederate flags TODAY. There mascot is basically a Southern
Plantation owner.

Stop trying to hang institutions because they
have had individuals make bad decisions in the past. Yes Harvard may
have some bad history with regards to Hitler but many in this country
were pro-Hitler until after the war and the atrocities were found out.
After that everyone with any kind of career ambitions distanced
themselves from Hitler (See JFK's dad and why his public life went down
the toilet).

It's one thing to accept a former Nazi to the school hell the federal government built our Space program around one, but I'm pretty sure Harvard didn't adopt the Nazi flag as there symbol or an SS trooper as it's mascot.

Does that change the fact Harvard was letting
African Americans into school in the 1850's when some of these schools
in the south needed a court order by the federal government to do it in
the 1960's? And then they protested the hell out of it and basically did everything in there power to stop it.

You can cherry pick a Northern school here or there all you want, it's no where close. Some of the example's you are putting forward are either flat out wrong or just shocking compared to the SEC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT