ADVERTISEMENT

(2nd Try) Fiction Books - Top 4 long ones (who wants something other than politics for a day)

ellu

SuperCane
Feb 5, 2003
Pompano Beach
Figure we can do some threads on some different stuff around fiction. I'll kick it off with this question.

What's your personal favorite Mount Rushmore of fiction books over 800 pages.

1. Imajica - Clive Barker (if you haven't read this book, I can't recommend ANYTHING stronger).
2. The Stand - Stephen King (was torn between this and IT but yeah, the Stand is all that).
3. A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin (honestly, this entire list could be this series of books for me but this is the best of the lot).
4. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami (literally one of the greatest reads you'll get your eyes on).

Wanted to make room for a few but curious if others have them.

Reactions: 4210 and Swaggah64
First, over 800 pages is too much. Got through War and Peace only by Cliff Notes.

Discussing shorter fiction like 1984 and Animal Farm might defeat the purpose of the thread.

After being "forced" to read the classics in school, I got out of the habit of reading fiction. Then business oriented reading began taking up any reading windows. Over 800 pages - I'm out.

First, over 800 pages is too much. Got through War and Peace only by Cliff Notes.

Discussing shorter fiction like 1984 and Animal Farm might defeat the purpose of the thread.

After being "forced" to read the classics in school, I got out of the habit of reading fiction. Then business oriented reading began taking up any reading windows. Over 800 pages - I'm out.
For me that's when the stories get great, you can get completely lost in the world. Tolkein is an example, Atlas Shrugged is something I read every ten years or so, Shogun another one.

Certainly recommend any of the above. fantastic books, I'll do a shorter list next time. Even thinking of adding categories etc, we need some board stuff that isn't just political. The lounge can be about our commonalites as much as our differences.

Reactions: central17
1. Anything by Ken Follett
2. Anything by WEB Griffin
3. Anything by Carl Haissan
4. Anything by Michael Connelly

Reactions: 4210

1984 has become somewhat a reality today, even though its fiction. Read that and Animal Farm in middle school the first time and barely understood Animal Farm then without understanding society, like I do today.

On a brighter note, some folks like @ellu arent fans of reality and facts and presume guilt before facts, something both of those books address. They run away from their own salacious comments as if they never said them. “Who needs politics today” a day after your presumptive political comments were exposed. Those folks are called snowflakes, today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 816_Cane
Figure we can do some threads on some different stuff around fiction. I'll kick it off with this question.

What's your personal favorite Mount Rushmore of fiction books over 800 pages.

1. Imajica - Clive Barker (if you haven't read this book, I can't recommend ANYTHING stronger).
2. The Stand - Stephen King (was torn between this and IT but yeah, the Stand is all that).
3. A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin (honestly, this entire list could be this series of books for me but this is the best of the lot).
4. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami (literally one of the greatest reads you'll get your eyes on).

Wanted to make room for a few but curious if others have them.
Much respect to a man who has read the ASOIAF series.

Ive read that series 3 times over and ASOS and ADWD are my two favorites.
I love the Theon/Reek chapters in Dance.

And the Culmination of Sword is amazing.

WTF is taking so long for WOW?

I read the stand in the 80's fantastic. I will check out the other 2 . thanks

I will get back with my suggestions. have to think about it.

Excellent Topic and **** Politics.

For me that's when the stories get great, you can get completely lost in the world. Tolkein is an example, Atlas Shrugged is something I read every ten years or so, Shogun another one.

Certainly recommend any of the above. fantastic books, I'll do a shorter list next time. Even thinking of adding categories etc, we need some board stuff that isn't just political. The lounge can be about our commonalites as much as our differences.
re:
Even thinking of adding categories etc, we need some board stuff that isn't just political. The lounge can be about our commonalites as much as our differences.

100% Agree!

I'm with @ellu on this. The only bad thing about a great long book is that it ends.

Like Michener's The Source and The Covenant

Reactions: zackbear and ellu
1984 has become somewhat a reality today, even though its fiction. Read that and Animal Farm in middle school the first time and barely understood Animal Farm then without understanding society, like I do today.

On a brighter note, some folks like @ellu arent fans of reality and facts and presume guilt before facts, something both of those books address. They run away from their own salacious comments as if they never said them. “Who needs politics today” a day after your presumptive political comments were exposed. Those folks are called snowflakes, today.
Way to always be an asshole. And don't worry, You're on ignore so i wont have to read anymore ignorance from you.

But in the meantime so you feel at home.

White Power! Heil Hitler!

Last edited:
7932486._UX1200_SR1200,630_.jpg

Way to always be an asshole. And don't worry, You're on ignore so i wont have to read anymore ignorance from you.

Such the racist. Terrible. Can’t debate, so throw out an irrelevant race card.

Last edited:
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes- Rhodes Scholar from Yale who dropped out to fight in Vietnam with the Marines- best book about combat I have ever read. He has. appeared in multiple documentaries. about the Vietnam War.

Last edited:
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes- Rhodes Scholar from Yale who dropped out to fight in Vietnam with the Marines- best book about combat I have ever read. He has. appeared in multiple documentaries. about the Vietnam War.
Just looked this guy up. Many videos on this gentleman. Great recommendation.

If you like Marines type stuff, Try WEB Griffin. Mostly WWII era....As well as Pre-CIA era.

Just looked this guy up. Many videos on this gentleman. Great recommendation.
I am currently reading his non fiction book - What It Is Like To Go To War. He is an unusual combination of a brilliant sensitive man who is also a real warrior. He struggled for 35 years writing Matterhorn.

Reactions: krvanness
Not much for Fiction, but if you like non-fiction Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. The movie was terrible in comparison to the book.

Reactions: Swaggah64 and 4210
I am currently reading his non fiction book - What It Is Like To Go To War. He is an unusual combination of a brilliant sensitive man who is also a real warrior. He struggled for 35 years writing Matterhorn.
Yes. I'm going to get that book. I just watched a Bill Moyers interview with him, and plan to watch some additional videos. I never served, but have the utmost respect for those that did and this guy really has a fascinating perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: NO.SHORECANE
#4 is a great pick .. great book ... I just got into Dr. Joe Dispenza... highly recommend his book as well as taking his workshop.. amazing man w/ serious alternative views

Reactions: ellu
Some of my favorites, but I’m into the lighter stuff; Bonfire of the Vaniities, Lonesome Dove, A Land Remembered,
Have read most of James Patterson’s books, David Baldacci makes for an easy read, Elmore Leonard etc
Since the Covid and leading up to elections, I decided to stop watching the BS news and have really enjoyed reading rather than channel surfing.

My favorite fiction book is 'The Charm School' by Nelson DeMille. A page turner from the fir

Really? A book 99% of Conservatives never heard of, but you know to throw at them!

Reactions: BreakingCane
Some of my favorites, but I’m into the lighter stuff; Bonfire of the Vaniities, Lonesome Dove, A Land Remembered,
Have read most of James Patterson’s books, David Baldacci makes for an easy read, Elmore Leonard etc
Since the Covid and leading up to elections, I decided to stop watching the BS news and have really enjoyed reading rather than channel surfing.
reading and audiobooks!

Walk In My Combat Boots- James Patterson and First Sergeant Matt Eversmann- non fiction- vignettes about combat in Iraq and Afghanistan

Reactions: krvanness
Much respect to a man who has read the ASOIAF series.

Ive read that series 3 times over and ASOS and ADWD are my two favorites.
I love the Theon/Reek chapters in Dance.

And the Culmination of Sword is amazing.

WTF is taking so long for WOW?

I read the stand in the 80's fantastic. I will check out the other 2 . thanks

I will get back with my suggestions. have to think about it.

Excellent Topic and **** Politics.
Dude! I literally either need GRRM to live till he is 130 or to get his head out his ass and write.

Theon/Reek in the book is insane, the show was good (till the end) but pales. What the long ass delay has done is allow me to read other stuff by him, have you ever read his short Sand Kings?

Do your read Sanderson, to be clear, I am in NO way comparing him to the greatness of Tolkein or GRRM but he was good enough that Jordan's family called on him to complete that Epic. The world he created in his Stormlight Archive series is amazing. The last was just released in November, I'm avoiding it till I know he's done with the next as I'll just eagerly consume them in a ravenous bing of high fantasy.

Read Imajica if you haven't, go for the full uncondensed version, what a job Barker did with that one.

Dude! I literally either need GRRM to live till he is 130 or to get his head out his ass and write.

Theon/Reek in the book is insane, the show was good (till the end) but pales. What the long ass delay has done is allow me to read other stuff by him, have you ever read his short Sand Kings?

Do your read Sanderson, to be clear, I am in NO way comparing him to the greatness of Tolkein or GRRM but he was good enough that Jordan's family called on him to complete that Epic. The world he created in his Stormlight Archive series is amazing. The last was just released in November, I'm avoiding it till I know he's done with the next as I'll just eagerly consume them in a ravenous bing of high fantasy.

Read Imajica if you haven't, go for the full uncondensed version, what a job Barker did with that one.
I will follow your advice and read your suggestions as you have good taste.
i have not read Sand Kings but I will
If you think that highly of it.
i have Dink and Egg though. i love that series.
And as for GRRM. If he dies before he finishes I will have to kill him!!

Reactions: ellu
I will follow your advice and read your suggestions as you have good taste.
i have not read Sand Kings but I will
If you think that highly of it.
i have Dink and Egg though. i love that series.
And as for GRRM. If he dies before he finishes I will have to kill him!!
Sand Kings is mind blowing and from memory 120pages or so!

I was a USMC photo/journalist in Nam and my best friend over there was Dale Dye. He told me that when he got home he was going to write a bout his experience there. A few years later he wrote "Platoon" and even had a small role in the film. He's a millionaire now living in Hollywood. I also had some stories published in a book titled, "Dateline:Vietnam" but never received any money for it. As I recall, I think Dateline:Vietnam was a series of several books.

Last edited:
Reactions: 801canesmxer
Typical liberals, biggest game of our season and this thread gets attention.

1. Anything by Ken Follett
2. Anything by WEB Griffin
3. Anything by Carl Haissan
4. Anything by Michael Connelly
If you like those authors .. you need to check out the Gray Man series (CIA assassin) by Mark Greaney .. outstanding. Only 9 books so far in the series .. really need to read them in order. Highly recommended.

Typical liberals, biggest game of our season and this thread gets attention.
Always the Ahole!. If you only want to read threads about the game, why aren't you in the War Room? Instead you're in the Lounge looking for something to bitch about! So much for your interest in the biggest game of our season! You're only interest is disparaging people and creating conflict!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT