ADVERTISEMENT

Biden - saving the people from the evil of a chocolate flavored cigar

central17

SuperCane
Jan 31, 2005
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...oves-ban-menthol-cigarettes-flavored-n1265823

We have a global pandemic, fighting in the street, a rapidly changing global economy, some would believe a climate crisis. And the Biden administration is spending time and money protecting the country from menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars. Why should the federal government care to get into anyone's life enough to prevent them from smoking a menthol cigarette? Let's nationalize the Bloomberg Big Gulp ban! People that keep voting democrat will eventually wonder where their basic freedoms went? The answer will be they willingly voted them away

Reactions: lysmaryj
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...oves-ban-menthol-cigarettes-flavored-n1265823

We have a global pandemic, fighting in the street, a rapidly changing global economy, some would believe a climate crisis. And the Biden administration is spending time and money protecting the country from menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars. Why should the federal government care to get into anyone's life enough to prevent them from smoking a menthol cigarette? Let's nationalize the Bloomberg Big Gulp ban! People that keep voting democrat will eventually wonder where their basic freedoms went? The answer will be they willingly voted them away

An honest question deserves an honest answer. I'm not certain if you are familiar with the tobacco industry and the history of its media and research. I represented a number of folks in the Engle litigation settlement and later was in-house counsel at a clinical research company that worked with RJR Nabisco's smoking cessation studies. I say that to say I'm familiar.

Big Tobacco is extremely effective at marketing and they lied. They reference products not as cigs but as nicotine delivery systems. The additives are micro-targeted with success to increase market share. Specific demographics are targeted in specific ways. Basically, they did what Facebook does now. From the Marlboro man to Joe Camel. Anecdotally, have you been at a convenience store when a smoker orders? Give me the Marlboro blue, with the softbox, short or give me the parliament ultra menthol, long light in a hard case, shits like the Starbucks coffee orders. But it's that way because they understand how to sell and who they are selling to.

The anti-smoking push, which ultimately is a tax saving to us all (cancer deaths are expensive to us when it's the uninsured who die) didn't really target these marginal communities (and for good reason, better to cut smoking generally and then work to smaller groups, put out the house fire then worry about the small bush still burning mentality). Now is the time, the effectiveness on the greater campaign has worked, micro targeting makes sense now.

Frankly, I don't think anything is going to stop my sister, who complains when gas goes up 20 cents but will spend 7 bucks on a pack of Kool 100 Superlongs from smoking. My niece is not giving up her Black and Mild vanilla with the wood tips. But will her daughter or son smoke?

So I see this address, not as a problem but a chance for a solution, not so much greater than solutions previously provided like eliminating Joe Camel from children's books.

Reformed 30+ year smoker. I tell people I’ve done a lot of dumb stuff in my life but smoking is #1. The thing I can’t understand is at the same time the President is banning certain types of legal forms of smoking, democratic mayors like in my home town ( Philadelphia ) among others are opening herion shooting galleries. Look into the Philly neighborhood of Kensington a one time working row home neighborhood. Now a drug infested nightmare.

An honest question deserves an honest answer. I'm not certain if you are familiar with the tobacco industry and the history of its media and research. I represented a number of folks in the Engle litigation settlement and later was in-house counsel at a clinical research company that worked with RJR Nabisco's smoking cessation studies. I say that to say I'm familiar.

Big Tobacco is extremely effective at marketing and they lied. They reference products not as cigs but as nicotine delivery systems. The additives are micro-targeted with success to increase market share. Specific demographics are targeted in specific ways. Basically, they did what Facebook does now. From the Marlboro man to Joe Camel. Anecdotally, have you been at a convenience store when a smoker orders? Give me the Marlboro blue, with the softbox, short or give me the parliament ultra menthol, long light in a hard case, shits like the Starbucks coffee orders. But it's that way because they understand how to sell and who they are selling to.

The anti-smoking push, which ultimately is a tax saving to us all (cancer deaths are expensive to us when it's the uninsured who die) didn't really target these marginal communities (and for good reason, better to cut smoking generally and then work to smaller groups, put out the house fire then worry about the small bush still burning mentality). Now is the time, the effectiveness on the greater campaign has worked, micro targeting makes sense now.

Frankly, I don't think anything is going to stop my sister, who complains when gas goes up 20 cents but will spend 7 bucks on a pack of Kool 100 Superlongs from smoking. My niece is not giving up her Black and Mild vanilla with the wood tips. But will her daughter or son smoke?

So I see this address, not as a problem but a chance for a solution, not so much greater than solutions previously provided like eliminating Joe Camel from children's books.

I am not a cigarette smoker. Enjoy a good cigar once a week. Fully understand the insidious marketing and product development that Big Tobacco does. But are they really any worse than Big Fast Food?

My concern is based upon government over reach into personal freedom and its priorities. If the federal government is so concerned about addictive chemicals, why are they turning a blind eye to all heroin, crack crystal meth, fentanyl and other really nasty drugs coming across the Southern Border? And now the cartels have diversified into adding human traffic with their shipments. So now they are also importing Covid? Does anyone really believe that Drug Cartels do not help fund "Immigration rights" lobbies that fund political campaigns? But while Cartels bring Semi's of Fentanyl and people over the border, the FDA is now going to fix a 100 year old problem that infringes upon a currently legal activity that many people have chosen?..

I worry about the slippery slope of "the government taking away liberties because of the excuse of group healthcare costs". I'd rather pay mine and let you pay yours. Where does it stop? No more Big Gulp fountain sodas? The demies went on a hissy fit about fake news when it was reported last week that the AOC/Biden/Pelosi/Shumer/Harris regime was looking at limiting American's to one Cheeseburger a month. We know that alcohol can be abused. Is sitting around stoned all day every day a good thing for public health? Is it good for public health to have heroin junkies using only government issued syringes? Are multiple abortions good for a woman's health? How many doughnuts are too many? Can you eat a sandwich in your car or does some DOT study show that doing so increases traffic accidents.

Even God doesn't try to manage every aspect of my daily life. I sure as hell don't want some dope like AOC or some nameless faceless FDA bureaucrat trying to telling me how to live my life. Do you?

Last edited:

Who has the better liars: The tobacco companies, or, the DC lawmakers? Serious question.

Reactions: central17
Who has the better liars: The tobacco companies, or, the DC lawmakers? Serious question.
Ellu,
I believe Dolcane has asked an extremely salient question that should be considered whenever anyone wants to villify a private company for attempting to put a positive spin on themselves? I am not saying RJ Reynolds is virtuous, but I trust them far more than Biden/Harris/Pelosi/Shumer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT