ADVERTISEMENT

Condo Collapse a Board President perspective (8 years running)

HJCane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2007
Such a tragedy first of all.
I have been on the Board since the developers voted me in at turnover to the Owners, Been President of a 3 person condo board for 7 of the 8 years.
My building is a high end extremely luxurious property that got it's CO in 2009 and turnover to owners in 2011. It is one of the most luxurious properties ever built by The Related Group on Hollywood Beach and I would put it up against any other. Amenities and floor plans are fantastic.
I run a tight ship being that I was in the Navy and have very high expectations for the Management, Engineering, Valet, Housekeeping and Pool and Beach teams.
The Florida Legislature plays a large role in the problem we are seeing. ALWAYS making it more and more cumbersome to ever get anything done in a timely manner. The City Building Depts. same thing. The Condo Docs can help or hurt a Board depending on the language contained in it. ESPECIALLY on what must be BID OUT.
Some examples;
1) Some Condo Docs say the Board MUST bid anything over $5000. My condo docs allow the Board to commence a project(s) under 5% of annual budget. That is a big difference.
2) Our Legislature used to mandate HO-6 Condo policies by every Owner. Then they removed the mandate. So a unit Owner who floods 3-4 units below him may not have a policy in place.
3) I am currently painting and doing stucco crack repairs on my 42 story building. The scope of work, bidding, contract negotiations, board meetings took over 1.5 years to complete. I got 5 bids. Should get 3.
4) The Board does NOT have to select the lowest price bidder. It can use reasonable business judgement to select the Contractor.
5) The building maintenance on the Ocean is NEVER ENDING as salt air whips around these properties. Think of a ship out at sea. Everyday it is something to be worked on.
6) To have conducted a 40 year Engineering Study, make a Scope of Work (plans) bid the project out, get Permits thru any city building dept. and hold the necessary Board meetings, special assessments, take a building loan etc.......could take upwards of 2.5-3 years for a skilled Board. Most Boards are just regular people with little to no experience in this type of project.
7) If you have a 3 or 5 person Board only 1 or 2 Board Members do any work. FACT

I could go on BUT the point is that it isn't easy. It's a lot of work for a group of Volunteers who don't get paid.
Lots of people on the news have no idea what they are talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT