ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Gold Medalist Suni Lee…

majus12

SuperCane
Oct 15, 2004
Way to step up in YOUR moment in the spotlight!!!!!
When the moment came Suni, you took a deep breath, controlled your emotions, and relied on your lifetime of training.
You then went out and won the Olympic Gold medal in Individual ALL-around!
Makes you the BEST gymnast in the world today.
More importantly it makes you an inspiration to millions of young athletes.
You eptomize the meaning of “Carpe diem”, “Seize the day”
You 100% absolutely did.
Congratulations you truly represent what a true champion is all about!

Last edited:
Her story is remarkable. She lost two family members from Covid and her dad had a terrible accident that left him paralyzed. And she was coming off a broken foot……….
Could have folded like someone else.
Instead she rose up and got it done!!!!
Congrats to her and well deserved. Hope she breaks the bank!

Her story is remarkable. She lost two family members from Covid and her dad had a terrible accident that left him paralyzed. And she was coming off a broken foot……….
Could have folded like someone else.
Instead she rose up and got it done!!!!
Congrats to her and well deserved. Hope she breaks the bank!
Her family is Hmong. During the Vietnam War, the Hmong in Laos aided and partnered with American forces. After the US pulled out of Laos, the Communists began retaliating against them for siding with the US. Thousands fled and thousands were killed. Many eventually settled in the US.

Her family is Hmong. During the Vietnam War, the Hmong in Laos aided and partnered with American forces. After the US pulled out of Laos, the Communists began retaliating against them for siding with the US. Thousands fled and thousands were killed. Many eventually settled in the US.
We differ at times but I know that you know your stuff when it comes to Vietnam. Thanks for that info and also for your service. We are so spoiled here in America.

We differ at times but I know that you know your stuff when it comes to Vietnam. Thanks for that info and also for your service. We are so spoiled here in America.
Your welcome and I enjoy the back and forth (mostly). I've traveled across Utah but never spent time there. I was always upset with Mormons for their disregard of blacks until they needed them to make their football team competitive. Their leader said he had a vision one night to allow that. He had a vision alright when he saw the handwriting on the wall. They also have an unfair advantage with their QB's. If they have several good ones at the same time, they send some on a mission and bring them back as needed. There is a reason why they are never without a top QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: 801canesmxer
You are right Mike. The Hmong are an indigenous people from parts of Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar. Suni’s grandfather fought with the US in the Vietnam War and had to relocate at wars end. Like many others, he landed in the Minneapolis/St Paul area where 60,000 Hmong live today.

Many of the Hmong retain a tribal culture (Large families, low education levels, high unemployment) that has slowed integration into American culture. Suni’s triumph at the Olympics will hopefully raise the profile and ignite the pride of this group of American citizens.

All congratulations to Suni Lee!

Your welcome and I enjoy the back and forth (mostly). I've traveled across Utah but never spent time there. I was always upset with Mormons for their disregard of blacks until they needed them to make their football team competitive. Their leader said he had a vision one night to allow that. He had a vision alright when he saw the handwriting on the wall. They also have an unfair advantage with their QB's. If they have several good ones at the same time, they send some on a mission and bring them back as needed. There is a reason why they are never without a top QB.
Their change of heart also was around the time they were going to be losing some Federal funding, but at least the change was made and sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. As for BYU, yes, many of their players go on a mission, and if you add in a redshirt year and a medical redshirt, some of their players are 25 years old. If they do go on a mission though, they are considered free agents to an extent and the local teams are all over some of them trying to change their minds. About 5 or so years ago, one of the local TV stations showed a crazy stat that said that the BYU basketball team players had more kids than the Utah Jazz players had.

You are right Mike. The Hmong are an indigenous people from parts of Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar. Suni’s grandfather fought with the US in the Vietnam War and had to relocate at wars end. Like many others, he landed in the Minneapolis/St Paul area where 60,000 Hmong live today.

Many of the Hmong retain a tribal culture (Large families, low education levels, high unemployment) that has slowed integration into American culture. Suni’s triumph at the Olympics will hopefully raise the profile and ignite the pride of this group of American citizens.

All congratulations to Suni Lee!
I didn't know about her grandfather and now she wins Gold in Tokyo. What a great story!

Their change of heart also was around the time they were going to be losing some Federal funding, but at least the change was made and sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. As for BYU, yes, many of their players go on a mission, and if you add in a redshirt year and a medical redshirt, some of their players are 25 years old. If they do go on a mission though, they are considered free agents to an extent and the local teams are all over some of them trying to change their minds. About 5 or so years ago, one of the local TV stations showed a crazy stat that said that the BYU basketball team players had more kids than the Utah Jazz players had.
Do you remember when we played out there and Ty Detmer picked us apart? His brother Koy just took over as head coach at Somerset High here in San Antonio and will coach his son Koal. Be interesting to see how the young Detmer develops. He's certainly got the right pedigree.

Reactions: 4210
Do you remember when we played out there and Ty Detmer picked us apart? His brother Koy just took over as head coach at Somerset High here in San Antonio and will coach his son Koal. Be interesting to see how the young Detmer develops. He's certainly got the right pedigree.
I'll never forget that game because I'm reminded of it out here every now and then. We beat Detmer like a rag doll that game but he just kept making plays. Tough SOB.

When the moment came Suni, you took a deep breath, controlled your emotions, and relied on your lifetime of training.
You 100% absolutely did.
Correct this Oriental girl saved Biles from total failure that would be recorded in history.

The altitude seemed to kill the Canes that night, as I recall. The BYU attack exhausted our D.

It hurt. But, I did admire the effort and expertise of the BYU team.

The altitude seemed to kill the Canes that night, as I recall. The BYU attack exhausted our D.

It hurt. But, I did admire the effort and expertise of the BYU team.
LaVell Edwards was one hell of a coach too and they played an exciting brand of football. LaVell's coaching tree is remarkable as well.

I'll never forget that game because I'm reminded of it out here every now and then. We beat Detmer like a rag doll that game but he just kept making plays. Tough SOB.
Yeah, we beat him to a pulp and he had a 6-inch cut on his chin but he passed for over 400 yds and 3 TD's and hit 38 of 54 passes. We were defending National Champs that year.

Reactions: 801canesmxer
You 100% absolutely did.
Not a quitter!

You 100% absolutely did.
Agreed......outstanding performance!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT