ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis Allegedly messing with the numbers again

Ronnie is doing such a great job that anyone coming from Florida to NY,NJ or Conn must now be quarantined 14 days upon arrival....Thanks Ronnie for Leadership..

Reactions: zackbear and cems52
Ronnie is doing such a great job that anyone coming from Florida to NY,NJ or Conn must now be quarantined 14 days upon arrival....Thanks Ronnie for Leadership..

If you have to choose, which Governor are you taking and their response to the virus? FL or NY?

And out of the country as a whole?

Reactions: CashvilleCane1
If you have to choose, which Governor are you taking and their response to the virus? FL or NY?

And out of the country as a whole?

New York. Obviously they got hit hard with European tourists flying into New York carrying the virus and with the density in NYC it spread very quickly. Given that our federal government ignored the virus until it was already spreading they started way behind. Desantis had time to give stay at home orders which he resisted for weeks while the virus spread throughout the state. Fast forward to reopening, Cuomo followed the CDC guidelines for reopening while desantis wanted to kiss Trump's ass by opening early. Now we see the results. Florida cases are increasing at rates worse than March and April while the curve in New York not only flattened but has come down significantly.

Reactions: gokcub and zackbear
New York. Obviously they got hit hard with European tourists flying into New York carrying the virus and with the density in NYC it spread very quickly. Given that our federal government ignored the virus until it was already spreading they started way behind. Desantis had time to give stay at home orders which he resisted for weeks while the virus spread throughout the state. Fast forward to reopening, Cuomo followed the CDC guidelines for reopening while desantis wanted to kiss Trump's ass by opening early. Now we see the results. Florida cases are increasing at rates worse than March and April while the curve in New York not only flattened but has come down significantly.
First off let me say I’m no Desantis fan and I have my reasons. Your premise for New York’s infection rate is subjective and more than likely wrong. NYC let the subways run through May so there’s that. I have bank branch video from chase from end of April and you should see them packed up in their like sardines. This was from a bank on Woodside in Queens. There was a whole lot of talk and very little action on DeBlasio’s part. Oh excuse me except for when he moved all the sick old people most susceptible to the virus out to the retirement homes instead of a giant ass hospital ship which could’ve save thousands of lives.

Reactions: utatem and grbcane

No doubt NYC experiences a rash of travelers. You neglect to mention we also have e a significant tourist base from Europe in both Orlando and Miami. We also have significant exposure from Central and South America. We also had a significant amount of Spring Breakers and people fleeing NY to come to FL. Overall, I would say outside influence is about equal. But density NYC had the clear disadvantage like you said.

Governor (and Mayor) didn’t even bother to start shutting down the subway and transit system on a nightly basis for normal cleaning until a month in. That had nothing to do with preparedness and was pure carelessness.

Governor putting sick patients back in to nursing homes is inexcusable and there was already plenty of data from Italy to make a better decision. Another act of pure carelessness by Cuomo.

At the end of the day NY currently has 8k deaths per 100k cases while FL has ~3.5k deaths per 100k cases.

No objective look at the facts can lead me to believe Cuomo did a noticeably better job that led to twice as many deaths.

Reactions: utatem and grbcane
First off let me say I’m no Desantis fan and I have my reasons. Your premise for New York’s infection rate is subjective and more than likely wrong. NYC let the subways run through May so there’s that. I have bank branch video from chase from end of April and you should see them packed up in their like sardines. This was from a bank on Woodside in Queens. There was a whole lot of talk and very little action on DeBlasio’s part. Oh excuse me except for when he moved all the sick old people most susceptible to the virus out to the retirement homes instead of a giant ass hospital ship which could’ve save thousands of lives.

Well JFK has the most flights from Europe to the US and Newark is also up on the list. The virus certainly came from China to the west coast and it certainly came from Europe on the east coast. This all happened well before Trump was forced to acknowledge that the virus was a threat. As far as density I'm guessing you're not arguing that point. At least I hope you're not ignorant enough to see that density is not a good thing when trying to contain the virus. So it's not really subjective. It is what it is.

As far as opening the facts are the facts. Cuomo waited until specific criteria was met before going forward. Desantis ignored the criteria. We never came close to meeting the CDC reopening guidelines. I know it's a fact that you don't like but it's a fact. Now look at the curve in Florida versus New York and you tell me who managed reopening better.

Reactions: zackbear
No doubt NYC experiences a rash of travelers. You neglect to mention we also have e a significant tourist base from Europe in both Orlando and Miami. We also have significant exposure from Central and South America. We also had a significant amount of Spring Breakers and people fleeing NY to come to FL. Overall, I would say outside influence is about equal. But density NYC had the clear disadvantage like you said.

Governor (and Mayor) didn’t even bother to start shutting down the subway and transit system on a nightly basis for normal cleaning until a month in. That had nothing to do with preparedness and was pure carelessness.

Governor putting sick patients back in to nursing homes is inexcusable and there was already plenty of data from Italy to make a better decision. Another act of pure carelessness by Cuomo.

At the end of the day NY currently has 8k deaths per 100k cases while FL has ~3.5k deaths per 100k cases.

No objective look at the facts can lead me to believe Cuomo did a noticeably better job that led to twice as many deaths.

Flights from Europe to JFK and Newark far exceed flights from Europe to anywhere in Florida. You sound like a reasonable man. That's just a fact. Obviously we agree on density which put NY at a significant disadvantage. Was the response perfect in NY? Absolutely not and I admit mistakes were made like you mentioned. But I do think it's funny that people on the right are quick to criticize Cuomo for being slow to react but won't hold Trump to that same standard.

And as far as reopening I don't think there is any question that Cuomo has managed it more effectively. The numbers are the numbers. Florida's curve flattened for a while and now we're back where we started. NY curve flattened and then has come down significantly. Cuomo followed CDC guidelines. Desantis didn't even pretend to follow them.

Well JFK has the most flights from Europe to the US and Newark is also up on the list. The virus certainly came from China to the west coast and it certainly came from Europe on the east coast. This all happened well before Trump was forced to acknowledge that the virus was a threat. As far as density I'm guessing you're not arguing that point. At least I hope you're not ignorant enough to see that density is not a good thing when trying to contain the virus. So it's not really subjective. It is what it is.

As far as opening the facts are the facts. Cuomo waited until specific criteria was met before going forward. Desantis ignored the criteria. We never came close to meeting the CDC reopening guidelines. I know it's a fact that you don't like but it's a fact. Now look at the curve in Florida versus New York and you tell me who managed reopening better.
When exactly was that because the WHO was claiming it wasn’t a big deal all the way until the end of January right before Trump enacted a travel ban you nut cases called him a racist for. So which is it?

Also please tell me what the cdc guidelines were for opening.I’m going on a limb that you yourself don’t even know.

When exactly was that because the WHO was claiming it wasn’t a big deal all the way until the end of January right before Trump enacted a travel ban you nut cases called him a racist for. So which is it?

Also please tell me what the cdc guidelines were for opening.I’m going on a limb that you yourself don’t even know.

It's a very detailed document that outlines all of the guidelines for phased reopening, which included meeting certain goals along the way. It was made public back at the end of May by the administration. It was actually a very well thought out and reasonable plan. It was also a plan that Trump and his groupie governors abandoned in about 2 or 3 days because he has the maturity of a 5 year old and they were dumb enough to follow blindly. The article below summarizes the guidelines from the administration.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...aces#Steps-for-gradually-opening-the-country-

It's a very detailed document that outlines all of the guidelines for phased reopening, which included meeting certain goals along the way. It was made public back at the end of May by the administration. It was actually a very well thought out and reasonable plan. It was also a plan that Trump and his groupie governors abandoned in about 2 or 3 days because he has the maturity of a 5 year old and they were dumb enough to follow blindly. The article below summarizes the guidelines from the administration.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...aces#Steps-for-gradually-opening-the-country-
I learned something today & I'm holding onto it until it’s confirmed. Let’s just say MikeJW is going to be non existent for a while.

Flights from Europe to JFK and Newark far exceed flights from Europe to anywhere in Florida. You sound like a reasonable man. That's just a fact. Obviously we agree on density which put NY at a significant disadvantage. Was the response perfect in NY? Absolutely not and I admit mistakes were made like you mentioned. But I do think it's funny that people on the right are quick to criticize Cuomo for being slow to react but won't hold Trump to that same standard.

And as far as reopening I don't think there is any question that Cuomo has managed it more effectively. The numbers are the numbers. Florida's curve flattened for a while and now we're back where we started. NY curve flattened and then has come down significantly. Cuomo followed CDC guidelines. Desantis didn't even pretend to follow them.

I looked it up JFK 1, Newark 2, Miami 7, Orlando 11 from Europe. Like I said Europe is one (big) part of the picture. Florida has people escaping NY, spring breakers (probably not a huge impact at all but the media blew it up so throwing it in there), and while Europe was first we've still been getting a lot of travel from South America until a month ago which could have been similar seeding that New York experienced.

You're comparing two different curves though. New York's curve and Florida's curve look nothing alike. We hit about 800 cases per day and stayed relatively flat. New York immediately hit 5k cases per day, then 8k, then 10k before dropping. New York is at 400k cases now and we are at 100k, New York finished the game while we're in the 3rd inning.

The idea that we could eradicate this virus was foolish. When we finish the game I guarantee you our curve will look better than New York's (longer drawn out, but less severe) with less total impact by balancing both business and health.

Nobody is going there, what the **** would you do everything is locked down unlike Florida. It's easy to prevent something that doesn't happen.

Reactions: utatem
This line is BS, Disney has millions of foreign travelers visit every year and the parks are more crowded than a NY subway. Fact is this virus kills old people like the ones who Cuomo put and risk and Desantis protected, because of this NY has 10 times the death Florida has and still has more deaths on a daily basis even with this minor surge of cases. Let's not forget Miami is also one of the most International cities in the US as well and tons of Europeans headed there for EDM festivals in early March.

I looked it up JFK 1, Newark 2, Miami 7, Orlando 11 from Europe. Like I said Europe is one (big) part of the picture. Florida has people escaping NY, spring breakers (probably not a huge impact at all but the media blew it up so throwing it in there), and while Europe was first we've still been getting a lot of travel from South America until a month ago which could have been similar seeding that New York experienced.

You're comparing two different curves though. New York's curve and Florida's curve look nothing alike. We hit about 800 cases per day and stayed relatively flat. New York immediately hit 5k cases per day, then 8k, then 10k before dropping. New York is at 400k cases now and we are at 100k, New York finished the game while we're in the 3rd inning.

The idea that we could eradicate this virus was foolish. When we finish the game I guarantee you our curve will look better than New York's (longer drawn out, but less severe) with less total impact by balancing both business and health.

I think we agree for the most part on the European impact. Obviously people from Europe fly into Florida but not nearly as many that fly into New York. And like we said the density is obviously a problem when trying to contain a virus. These two factors were significant in making New York and Jersey the epicenter early on. It wasn't because their governors are Democrats. One day people want to criticize them for being too slow and the next day the argument is the measures they took were like a dictatorship and they're trying to take away everyone's freedom. So really they can't win.

As far as comparing the curves I know they look nothing alike and that's because New York's looks way better right now while Florida is going in the wrong direction. The idea that since NY had more cases doesn't make looking at the curve irrelevant. The curve shows the trend and it's clear. Yes New York had way more cases and we know why but the trend is clear. Seems like you don't want to compare curves but you do want to compare number of cases or deaths.

As far as "eradicating" the virus I agree with you. Anyone who expected that for an easily transmissible virus with no vaccine is just not being realistic. However our government did have the obligation to manage this thing to limit its impact. First our president tried denial, then he tried minimizing, they he finally started to listen to experts and implemented their recommendations (this actually worked) but then he lost patience like a child and screwed up the reopening. Now we're heading right back where we started while most of the rest of the world has this mostly contained.

I think we agree for the most part on the European impact. Obviously people from Europe fly into Florida but not nearly as many that fly into New York. And like we said the density is obviously a problem when trying to contain a virus. These two factors were significant in making New York and Jersey the epicenter early on. It wasn't because their governors are Democrats. One day people want to criticize them for being too slow and the next day the argument is the measures they took were like a dictatorship and they're trying to take away everyone's freedom. So really they can't win.

As far as comparing the curves I know they look nothing alike and that's because New York's looks way better right now while Florida is going in the wrong direction. The idea that since NY had more cases doesn't make looking at the curve irrelevant. The curve shows the trend and it's clear. Yes New York had way more cases and we know why but the trend is clear. Seems like you don't want to compare curves but you do want to compare number of cases or deaths.

As far as "eradicating" the virus I agree with you. Anyone who expected that for an easily transmissible virus with no vaccine is just not being realistic. However our government did have the obligation to manage this thing to limit its impact. First our president tried denial, then he tried minimizing, they he finally started to listen to experts and implemented their recommendations (this actually worked) but then he lost patience like a child and screwed up the reopening. Now we're heading right back where we started while most of the rest of the world has this mostly contained.

I look at deaths because they are a direct correlation. You can look at deaths per 100k cases and see similarities or differences whereas you can't look at cases yet because they are just not comparable right now.

Don't get me wrong I think EVERYONE botched this outside of a few places that never shut down. My beliefs are 100% based in greater good theory. And for me the impact of 40m people unemployed, increase in deaths of despair, lost educational opportunities, erasure of businesses and life savings is worse than 120k dead or even 250k dead when many of those deaths were people that were at the final lap of life anyway.

I look at deaths because they are a direct correlation. You can look at deaths per 100k cases and see similarities or differences whereas you can't look at cases yet because they are just not comparable right now.

Don't get me wrong I think EVERYONE botched this outside of a few places that never shut down. My beliefs are 100% based in greater good theory. And for me the impact of 40m people unemployed, increase in deaths of despair, lost educational opportunities, erasure of businesses and life savings is worse than 120k dead or even 250k dead when many of those deaths were people that were at the final lap of life anyway.

Yeah Trump has that same attitude towards our most vulnerable senior citizens. It's sad that the right doesn't value their lives. The good news is Trump will pay at the ballot box in November.

Reactions: zackbear and gokcub

I am in pa we just went green...will be on Fri....been some open let's see how it shakes out here in a few weeks...i think almost everyone will get or has had it

Yeah Trump has that same attitude towards our most vulnerable senior citizens. It's sad that the right doesn't value their lives. The good news is Trump will pay at the ballot box in November.

That's a tired response. Because I value all lives equally and believe we all should have an equal chance to live and an equal chance to die I feel that way.

If you die from an opiod overdose because you were unable to attend your support meetings for the past 3 months, if you die because your cancer went from benign to malignant in 3 months because regular screenings weren't allowed, if you die from depression for losing your job or life savings. All those deaths matter just as much to me as a Covid death but we're discriminating against those people right now and saying they don't matter as much.

Reactions: utatem
That's a tired response. Because I value all lives equally and believe we all should have an equal chance to live and an equal chance to die I feel that way.

If you die from an opiod overdose because you were unable to attend your support meetings for the past 3 months, if you die because your cancer went from benign to malignant in 3 months because regular screenings weren't allowed, if you die from depression for losing your job or life savings. All those deaths matter just as much to me as a Covid death but we're discriminating against those people right now and saying they don't matter as much.

I get your point that there are impacts to people when everything is shut down. You gave pretty bad examples but I get it. By the way, I have several family members in alcohol and drug support groups and they've all been doing zoom meetings and it is very rare for a benign tumor to simply become a malignant tumor but I get your point.

You say it's a tired response and that you value all life equally. Your previous post stating that you are okay with 250k deaths because most are our seniors that are "on the last lap of life anyway" doesn't sound like you value those lives equally.

I've seen the "it's mostly old people dying anyway" line in this forum on dozens of occasions including the poster I was responding to. How did you think the lives of our seniors are valued when you read stuff like that on a regular basis?

When are these people not wrong? They get excited by people getting the flu.

Reactions: CashvilleCane1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT