ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis protecting individual freedom

how is that protecting individual freedom?

What if I, as an individual, want to go to a place that is Covid vaccinated, shouldnt' my individual freedom allow that freedom of assembly?

How is this different than government overreach? Isn't the telling businesses what they must do a Dem thing?

How is this different than the argument against a baker being forced to make a cake?

I honestly don't understand how this is a conservative opinion.

I understand why some may support it, but on what libertarian or republican ethos is the Government telling a private business what to do in anyway "conservative".

What if I, as an individual, want to go to a place that is Covid vaccinated, shouldnt' my individual freedom allow that freedom of assembly?

How is this different than government overreach? Isn't the telling businesses what they must do a Dem thing?

How is this different than the argument against a baker being forced to make a cake?

I understand why some may support it, but on what libertarian or republican ethos is the Government telling a private business what to do in anyway "conservative".
What if I want to "assemble" in an STD free club. Should people be required to show their "papers" before entry?

Last edited by a moderator:
The line was long ago crossed for government to prevent business and organizations from not allowing entry for various types of individuals. A restaurant cannot prevent certain races from dining in their establishment. A rental car company cannot not prevent someone from renting a vehicle based upon their sex. A University cannot prevent someone from enrolling based upon their sexual preference.

IMO DeSantis is trying to get ahead of individuals being forced to inject things in their body that they are not comfortable doing, or be discrimated against if they don't. It is one thing to keep a noticeably sick person off an airplane. That has been done for years.

But to prevent a healthy person from traveling because they have chosen not to get a vaccine is going down a very slippery slope. And the coerced acquisition of an individual's personal health information to any kind of central database is another slippery slope.

What about school vaccination requirements ? All 50 states have them. Those records that you have to produce so your kids can enter school are basically a “vaccine passport”

Reactions: zackbear
The line was long ago crossed for government to prevent business and organizations from not allowing entry for various types of individuals. A restaurant cannot prevent certain races from dining in their establishment. A rental car company cannot not prevent someone from renting a vehicle based upon their sex. A University cannot prevent someone from enrolling based upon their sexual preference.

IMO DeSantis is trying to get ahead of individuals being forced to inject things in their body that they are not comfortable doing, or be discrimated against if they don't. It is one thing to keep a noticeably sick person off an airplane. That has been done for years.

But to prevent a healthy person from traveling because they have chosen not to get a vaccine is going down a very slippery slope. And the coerced acquisition of an individual's personal health information to any kind of central database is another slippery slope.
Thanks for the honest answer. Legally it doesn’t flow but from a layman perspective I respect it.

Race and sex are protected classes. They are immutable characteristics that can’t be changed. Even trans approving folks would still afford a woman the gender of her choice, anti trans clearly concede the concept. It’s that inability to change those inalienable characteristics that serve at the foundation of the constitutional amendment and 1963 ACT that evolved equality from its racist constitutional origins and application.

This being said, private entities are afforded the right to refuse service to men and women, to races as well. The Masters is a perfect example but there are yacht clubs in Miami that to this day have no black or Jewish members and it’s legal.

Moreso, corporate speech is recognized as protected speech. This is a conservative view argued by conservatives in Citizen. Kennedy Roberts Thomas Alito and Scalia wrote the argument. Ginsberg, Sotomeyer, Kagan dissented. Is the world so upside down that GOP now want government overreach that Ginsberg endorsed and that Bernie currently pushes for over the less gov approach?

Or is this glaring anti conservative, full on Dem policy just political rhetoric of populism?

You’re a layman. DiSantis is a lawyer. He know this full well. He’s not making the mistaken distinction of conflating immutable characteristics to a medical choice.

At UM when I was President of the law school half of the class had * indicating honors. By definition our grad book told you who was bottom half. We, as student leaders, elected to remove the * to protect the lower students grades (the backlash was intent so we moved to an opt out system) and it was legal. At a public school it would not have been.

Private businesses have protected speech unless Bernie Sanders and I guess DiSantos disagree...strange bedfellows indeed.

Reactions: zackbear

I believe the bakers all lost their cases to refuse service.

On another matter, what do you make of Nike’s case against Lil Nas X?

Thanks for the honest answer. Legally it doesn’t flow but from a layman perspective I respect it.

Race and sex are protected classes. They are immutable characteristics that can’t be changed. Even trans approving folks would still afford a woman the gender of her choice, anti trans clearly concede the concept. It’s that inability to change those inalienable characteristics that serve at the foundation of the constitutional amendment and 1963 ACT that evolved equality from its racist constitutional origins and application.

This being said, private entities are afforded the right to refuse service to men and women, to races as well. The Masters is a perfect example but there are yacht clubs in Miami that to this day have no black or Jewish members and it’s legal.

Moreso, corporate speech is recognized as protected speech. This is a conservative view argued by conservatives in Citizen. Kennedy Roberts Thomas Alito and Scalia wrote the argument. Ginsberg, Sotomeyer, Kagan dissented. Is the world so upside down that GOP now want government overreach that Ginsberg endorsed and that Bernie currently pushes for over the less gov approach?

Or is this glaring anti conservative, full on Dem policy just political rhetoric of populism?

You’re a layman. DiSantis is a lawyer. He know this full well. He’s not making the mistaken distinction of conflating immutable characteristics to a medical choice.

At UM when I was President of the law school half of the class had * indicating honors. By definition our grad book told you who was bottom half. We, as student leaders, elected to remove the * to protect the lower students grades (the backlash was intent so we moved to an opt out system) and it was legal. At a public school it would not have been.

Private businesses have protected speech unless Bernie Sanders and I guess DiSantos disagree...strange bedfellows indeed.
While the examples you cite are correct; air travel is a different animal and that is why IMO Governor DeSantis is acting proactively. Yes airlines own the planes and crew, however they cannot exist without airports, airspace restrictions, FAA, TSA, ATC, etc. All but a few airports are controlled by State and Local government, therefore having state oversight. Plus the reqirement of personal health information. That brings it back into the state political/legal sphere.

I would write more, but it is Bagel time.

Last edited:
I believe the bakers all lost their cases to refuse service.

On another matter, what do you make of Nike’s case against Lil Nas X?
They don’t have one. The suit is against a company. Nikes heart isn’t in it but the cancel culture crowd forced their hand.

While the examples you cite are correct; air travel is a different animal and that is why IMO Governor DeSantis is acting proactively. Yes airlines own the planes and crew, however they cannot exist without airports, airspace restrictions, FAA, TSA, ATC, etc. All but a few airports are controlled by State and Local government, therefore having state oversight. Plus the reqirement of personal health information. That brings it back into the state political/legal sphere.

I would write more, but it is Bagel time.

The argument you make cuts against the premise tho. It’s an airborne disease. Potentially fatal. If there is a health protection issue a tube circulating air would be it.

I’m not up on aviation but I thought it was federal oversight? Either way, bad idea if it’s being done for airlines.

What kind of bagel? I’m a onion or everything guy.

They don’t have one. The suit is against a company. Nikes heart isn’t in it but the cancel culture crowd forced their hand.
Seems like a lot of that going around. I had a conversation just yesterday with a corporate lawyer friend. In her opinion no one really gives a shit, they are just posturing to defend their firm against being cancelled. It’s about the bottom line and the bottom line only. Project the right image.

The argument you make cuts against the premise tho. It’s an airborne disease. Potentially fatal. If there is a health protection issue a tube circulating air would be it.

I’m not up on aviation but I thought it was federal oversight? Either way, bad idea if it’s being done for airlines.

What kind of bagel? I’m a onion or everything guy.
Everything, Garlic, Sesame, even plain. The underlying bagel makes it. I'll start a lighter thread on bagels. A nice diversion from the 7x24 political Ground Hog day.

• Haha
Reactions: BreakingCane
Everything, Garlic, Sesame, even plain. The underlying bagel makes it. I'll start a lighter thread on bagels. A nice diversion from the 7x24 political Ground Hog day.
I Make a decent bagel. I live a good plain bagel. Chives and cream cheese please.

The Dailymail lol.

DeSuckis is a communist.
So, you think DeSantis falls within this definition of communism?

Communism is an economic ideology that advocates for a classless society in which all property and wealth are communally-owned, instead of by individuals. ... Prominent examples of communism were the Soviet Union and China.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT