ADVERTISEMENT

Info on myocarditis from a site doctor

gferman

SuperCane
Staff
May 29, 2001
The 305/954
www.canesport.com
Not talked about outside of medicine but Covid19 seems to bump patients cardiac enzymes (troponin especially). This is even without history of heart disease. By definition this is a marker for myocardial damage and/or inflammation. We see this commonly with Covid patients admitted to the hospital.

Here's the rub... Myocarditis is a common cause of sudden cardiac death in athletes

In general patients with a diagnosis of myocarditis are usually out of competitive (high intensity) sports for 3-6 months

Covid is such a new issue things are up in the air but if that athlete has markers drawn and are + it's going to be hard to defend playing them

This is a medical/legal mess if an athlete has known Covid and then dies in an around sports activities

Here's a link to the recent guidelines from Europe - published a week ago (see section 5.5.5)
https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa605/5898937
- American Heart Association has similar guidelines

It's common with the flu as well. Why don't we just cancel the damn season. That's the objective of the media and they'll win:

Acute myocarditis is a well-known of influenza infection. The clinical expression varies from asymptomatic to fulminant myocarditis, which can result in severe hemodynamic dysfunction, necessitating high-dose catecholamines and mechanical circulatory support.

Good info Gary and perhaps after Covid19 we will have team physicians screen better for those with Myocardial inflammation and other cardiac dysfunction. The issue with Covid 19 is at this point involves evolving statistics and the long term implications or even 6 month issues are not there yet.
In the largest study in Germany the average age was 54 and they saw frequent evidence of myocarditis in those currently and just after Covid 19 respiratory symptoms. So it was an acute involvement. They did show differences in heart scans from the Covid group vs the control group. The drop in Ventricular function was minor in most cases. The cardiac enzymes were shown to have decreased several weeks after the initial tests.The evaluators however were not blinded. The average amount of ventricular dsyfunction was mild as were cpk and troponin elevations(enzymes elevated in heart damage) Note these enzymes average slightly higher in blacks than whites. Black athletes are more likely to have ventricular hypertrophy.
Translate this into young mostly black athletes? The ACC didnt panic .The Big Ten did.

Not talked about outside of medicine but Covid19 seems to bump patients cardiac enzymes (troponin especially). This is even without history of heart disease. By definition this is a marker for myocardial damage and/or inflammation. We see this commonly with Covid patients admitted to the hospital.

Here's the rub... Myocarditis is a common cause of sudden cardiac death in athletes

In general patients with a diagnosis of myocarditis are usually out of competitive (high intensity) sports for 3-6 months

Covid is such a new issue things are up in the air but if that athlete has markers drawn and are + it's going to be hard to defend playing them

This is a medical/legal mess if an athlete has known Covid and then dies in an around sports activities

Here's a link to the recent guidelines from Europe - published a week ago (see section 5.5.5)
https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa605/5898937
What compelled you to post this Gary?

Great information...Thanks for informing us about the risks to athletes..This does not bode well to the B10 about restarting..

Bunch of weirdos on here. This is a serious issue. Gary is giving you ingrates information that illustrates the obstacles that college football programs will have to deal with in order to play football this year.

Your political ideology doesn't negate the very real long term side effects of this virus. We all want football, but being willfully obtuse to the dangers of playing in this environment is not going to make the situation go away.

What compelled you to post this Gary?
Good question.
Meanwhile the UAB game actually looks and feels like a real college football game and is happening right now
And UAB looks decent . Very decent
They are going to be tough . They won’t roll over
I really don’t know much about medicine , I went law , my brother became a doctor
I couldn’t get past organic chemistry if I took it 5 times . He did it on his first shot !
Apparently there could be lingering medical issues , who knows . But I don’t really think that any major liability risk exist , other than the usual nonsense lawsuits covered by gobs of liability insurance.
It’s just not an obvious risk known by the schools and suppressed . That’s what usually predicates meritorious lawsuits
See I can talk law and litigation. I’m fluent . Medicine? Nah bores me

Bunch of weirdos on here. This is a serious issue. Gary is giving you ingrates information that illustrates the obstacles that college football programs will have to deal with in order to play football this year.

Your political ideology doesn't negate the very real long term side effects of this virus. We all want football, but being willfully obtuse to the dangers of playing in this environment is not going to make the situation go away.
Thanks for the lecture, but folks pay to post opinions on this site. Lol, "willfully obtuse".

How can you all not take it seriously that 3,700 people die daily....

oh wait it’s not Covid that kills 3,700 people daily it car accidents that kill 3,700 people daily.

yet for some reason we haven’t quit driving vehicles, why is that?

oh wait it’s not Covid that kills 3,700 people daily it car accidents that kill 3,700 people daily.

...and add another 1600 a day from Cancer. Now we're at 5.300 DAILY non-covid deaths.

I think it’s pretty clear what side Gary is on.
Trump vs everyone else, some people run to the board every time he tweets some horse crap like it’s fact. The era of alternative facts, difference between flu and Covid is... damage from flu is mitigated with... a vaccine, what a concept... Trump should call his buddy and have the send it over right?
America is in a dark place and it isn’t gonna change for awhile no matter who’s “side” you’re on.
I’m of the mind that you can’t curl up in a ball and not live life, but I don’t DENY medical fact either.
That 6% stat that everyone posted scared the crap out of me... that’s big number of people to die with no co morbidity. You can’t come on here and say the flu kills 30-60K and then deny Covid kills cause of co morbids, cause high percentage of those that die from flu have the same conditions. Can’t have it both ways no matter what Mr President wants to say to spin the narrative.
Problem is there isn’t a middle group cause Schiff and Pelosi are dirt bags too and willing to sell their souls to be right. They all suck and are in it for what’s best for them not those they serve. Even the god king Trump... guys made a life stepping on people to get power, I don’t think anyone can honestly say he got here by caring for others.

Double or nothing on my membership for the next decade that not a single player dies from Covid or myocarditis. Hell I'm feeling sporty I'll go triple or nothing not one is even so much as hospitalized. Quit the fear mongering, let Shodell take the reigns and go on a vacation.

I think it’s pretty clear what side Gary is on.

That's the problem here!! It's not what side you are on!!!!! We should all be on the same side of a kid dying just to play football or to p,ease your ass. Even if thst chance of death is 1% or .5%.

Did not see anyone here saying Gary or anyone was on some sort of side when UM said Ahmen Richards or Malek Young could no longer play because of risk of paralysis. Were you and others calling for conspiracy theories and questioning doctors on why????

But you are ok with kids who have been diagnosed with Mycardosis from Covid because you believe it is a political ploy?? Pathetic man!!

Agree with you Gary. On the professional level, players are given extensive cardiac screening prior to return. This includes a blood test for troponin (as you mentioned), an ekg and and an echocardiogram. We should remember that SARS-CoV1 left ~20% of people who had it with scarring in the lungs at 9 months out. So, there’s the initial illness and then the potential long term ramifications, in this case meaning decreased sports performance long term due to loss of cardio respiratory capacity. The info I shared is from the pro level. The challenge is the budget is different for college sports and certainly for high school and youth sports. They’re not able to adequately screen with the things I mentioned, so there’s a legit risk that may reveal itself in time.

Can you contract a car accident??? Is it possible to give someone else the disease and make them crash?? Bad analogy!

Double or nothing on my membership for the next decade that not a single player dies from Covid or myocarditis. Hell I'm feeling sporty I'll go triple or nothing not one is even so much as hospitalized. Quit the fear mongering, let Shodell take the reigns and go on a vacation.

Of course not because if you are diagnosed with myocarditis, they will not allow you to play!!! Just like they did not let Chris Bosh play again once he was diagnosed with blood clots. Like Malek Young was not allowed to play again after a neck injury. Like any player thst has a concussion is not allowed in the field or even allowed to practice until they pass concussion protocol which is minimum of 10 days.

But you want them to make an exception for players with myocarditis??? Simply because you believe covid is a hoax??

That's the problem here!! It's not what side you are on!!!!! We should all be on the same side of a kid dying just to play football or to p,ease your ass. Even if thst chance of death is 1% or .5%.

Did not see anyone here saying Gary or anyone was on some sort of side when UM said Ahmen Richards or Malek Young could no longer play because of risk of paralysis. Were you and others calling for conspiracy theories and questioning doctors on why????

But you are ok with kids who have been diagnosed with Mycardosis from Covid because you believe it is a political ploy?? Pathetic man!!

false. I did not say “political” side. I just said side. As in the, cancel the season because Corona Virus is too dangerous side or have a season because you understand there is inherent risk in everything we do, side.

politicizing a Global pandemic is ignorant and I wouldn’t do that.

Gary does this with everything. He posts things that only push his agenda and then when people call him on it he just says, “I don’t have an agenda. I just report the news”. Bullshit.

look at all Gary’s posts regarding playing football this fall. They are all negative.

my 2 cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can you contract a car accident??? Is it possible to give someone else the disease and make them crash?? Bad analogy!

i was sitting at a stop sign once and had a car crash into me so I would say yes someone else can make you crash.

Reactions: 816_Cane
Good question.
Meanwhile the UAB game actually looks and feels like a real college football game and is happening right now
And UAB looks decent . Very decent
They are going to be tough . They won’t roll over
I really don’t know much about medicine , I went law , my brother became a doctor
I couldn’t get past organic chemistry if I took it 5 times . He did it on his first shot !
Apparently there could be lingering medical issues , who knows . But I don’t really think that any major liability risk exist , other than the usual nonsense lawsuits covered by gobs of liability insurance.
It’s just not an obvious risk known by the schools and suppressed . That’s what usually predicates meritorious lawsuits
See I can talk law and litigation. I’m fluent . Medicine? Nah bores me

Nah we better roll them boys

and you missed the entire point of the post. There is risk in everything. Driving a car is probably the most dangerous thing most people will do in their entire life yet we do it every day. In fact 3,700 people die daily from it yet we let 16 year olds drive cars. We do this because society views car accidents as a normal part of daily life. We all know people that have been in accidents and I suspect most of us know someone who has been killed in a car accident yet we continue to drive on a daily basis because the risk is worth it. However with this virus we act like catching it is the end of the world and we can’t go outside because we might catch a virus that is No where near as deadly as driving a car.

i was sitting at a stop sign once and had a car crash into me so I would say yes someone else can make you crash.

Didn’t you know all car accidents only involve one person? No one ever causes someone else to crash. Those multi-car accidents were all independent events.

Any flu or bacteria that enters the bloodstream could cause heart damage or death could it not ? If a kid tests positive you give them the recommended therapy and sit them out. Getting dental work and not taking antibiotics before or after is dangerous also .... I understand the caution but common man ....

Reactions: mahb and krvanness

It’s crazy talk when I see cats try to justify their beliefs and views with other tragedies of life and equating it to other causes of sickness and deaths.

You know that there’s laws, rules, regulations, procedures, therapy, treatment and safety precautions in place for everything we do in life.

They’re called “Accidents” for a reason..Imagine what that stat would be without traffic lights, signs or other safety precautions in place?

and add another 1600 a day from Cancer. Now we're at 5.300 DAILY non-covid deaths

And Dude, I’ve had relatives, friends and know someone that knows someone that’s receiving treatment, had parts of their body parts removed and/or died (my mother) from cancer...There’s no doubt that me and my family would have followed any and every safety precautions if a medical doctor had told us that our mom would live a long joyful blessed cancer free life.

Be blessed and Go Canes

Last edited:
Reactions: zackbear
It’s crazy talk when I see cats try to justify their beliefs and views with other tragedies of life and equating it to other causes of sickness and deaths.

You know that there’s laws, rules, regulations, procedures, therapy, treatment and safety precautions in place for everything we do in life.

They’re called “Accidents” for a reason..Imagine what that stat would be without traffic lights, signs or other safety precautions in place?

You are making our point for us... We can put proper procedures in place and allow those that want to play football to play. You don't cancel the season anymore that you outlaw driving.

+1000
Gary is on the side of people being informed
From there I am on the side of people being able to make the best decisions while respecting the decisions of others and not imposing their own opinions on people who think differently
Mutual respect

I's hard to believe that Miami, with a preeminent medical school, would put athletes at risk.

I really like Gary as a football person but it's extremely obvious he's a mask person in the car alone.Its not going away Gary and it is what it is.Cant shut the whole world country down forever.I wish you would stick to football and leave your covid opinion out of it

No
Not a mask person in the car lol
In public, absolutely
I have several friends who have gotten Covid
They have no idea what it did to them
I also know People who work in hospitals and how stressed they are having to try to save the lives of people who thought this was one big joke
It is not

false. I did not say “political” side. I just said side. As in the, cancel the season because Corona Virus is too dangerous side or have a season because you understand there is inherent risk in everything we do, side.

politicizing a Global pandemic is ignorant and I wouldn’t do that.

Gary does this with everything. He posts things that only push his agenda and then when people call him on it he just says, “I don’t have an agenda. I just report the news”. Bullshit.

look at all Gary’s posts regarding playing football this fall. They are all negative.

my 2 cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah just what I want to see
Football canceled lmao
Dale you are flat wrong
But football has been either canceled or altered everywhere and we are many months away from out of this
Beginning next Thursday when we open the season with 13000 people in the stadium with different thoughts and fears for their health, this will be a season like no other
So we don’t pick sides
We inform and let everyone formulate whatever opinions they want and give you guys a forum to express them with others

Reactions: cems52 and zackbear

There has not been enough time to examine long term myocardial issues.That is a fact. Sounds like you are the one who is being political.

I's hard to believe that Miami, with a preeminent medical school, would put athletes at risk.
Every time 2 players collide helmet to helmet, they put themselves at risk. Why would players take that risk? Why does anyone take a risk? I ride a motorcycle. Why do I take that risk? Do you ever take a risk?

Reactions: 6882
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT