ADVERTISEMENT

Josh McRoberts to the Heat

Not bad. He can shoot 3, rebound and is excellent passer.

If resign all with Bird/early-Bird rights (Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Allen, Anderson), add Jameer Nelson at vet minimum, and get Marvin Williams either with bi-annual exception or S&T with Anthony trade exception this team is all of a sudden a much deeper team than last season.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

You can also add Danny Grainger to that list!

Great addition for Lebron, but that won't leave enough room to get the others Riley is chasing, even those in the $5mm range unless there is some weird rule for mid level exempt.

Deng, Ariza, Gasol were not taking that big a discount. And since Bosh wasn't going to play for $10M we couldn't get them.

In long run this may have been best approach for depth. Using salary cap room likely would have required renouncing Allen and Birdman. Also likely dumping Cole's contract. Instead sign a pretty good stretch PF who is younger, more athletic and better rebounder than aged Rashard Lewis. Also an excellent and underrated passer. Still have bi-annual and Joel Anthony trade exceptions to add depth. Someone like Marvin Williams might give you same skills as Ariza at less than half the price. If can't get him, Butler and Granger also wing options. Jameer Nelson may be willing to play for vet minimum to round out PG with at least one veteran. Then can either keep developing Cole or possibly trade him for other assets.

Spoke a little soon. Looks like Granger has signed for bi-annual exception. Needs to stay healthy, but he did actually rank as one of top SF defenders by metrics last season.

I don't believe Riley makes these moves without at least discussing them with Lebron. Seem to be more depth building moves than a rebuilding team.

Mmako are you not a heat fan? I only say that because your last post is more of a "shot" than what is likely to happen.

Im a knicks fan, so teasing, but then again this board was also largely certain of a big 4 with melo about 10 days ago.....so as of today more likely no bosh or lebron in miami than that.

Kidding aside, if lebron does go to cavs (which appears a very real possibility today) I would say bosh to rockets a certainty. Frankly a rockets team of hardin, bosh, and howard, is better than wade, bosh, lebron. If I am bosh and getting that for an extra 5 mil a season....well I would be headed to the lonestar state. At that point the heat would be stuck with an overpaid and washed up wade and zero assets....no free agent options worth a damn either. By this time Wednesday the Heat could be in horrible shape.

Originally posted by mmako11:
Im a knicks fan, so teasing, but then again this board was also largely certain of a big 4 with melo about 10 days ago.....so as of today more likely no bosh or lebron in miami than that.

Kidding aside, if lebron does go to cavs (which appears a very real possibility today) I would say bosh to rockets a certainty. Frankly a rockets team of hardin, bosh, and howard, is better than wade, bosh, lebron. If I am bosh and getting that for an extra 5 mil a season....well I would be headed to the lonestar state. At that point the heat would be stuck with an overpaid and washed up wade and zero assets....no free agent options worth a damn either. By this time Wednesday the Heat could be in horrible shape.
They can fit Lebron, Melo and Wade in.

on the surface and being objective, these aren't exactly the moves I was expecting to make there Heat a deeper team. McRoberts and Granger aren't taking down the spurs. I hope Riley has some more up his sleeve. The PRO and CON of Riley's system is his loyalty. Pro in that he can always get those role players and squeeze a year or two out of them. Con is he seems to hang onto them for 3/4 years ie a year too long. Unfortunately Wade and Haslem are sneeking into this category right now.
This post was edited on 7/7 5:34 PM by adanthony13

I would agree mmako... It is either going to be feast or famine depending on lebron

Too bad they will be starting alongside dwade while lebron and bosh are playing in cleveland and houston.
To bad you are a Potato. If Bosh leaves, Carmelo comes to join Lebron.

Lebron and Bosh leaving would be hilarious.

Right Melo who didnt even include heat in his tour, is gonna come play for 15 mil with washed up wade for 4 more years. Thats just denial guys. Maybe lebron and bosh stay but there is no scenario where melo, ariza, gasol, or deng play here next year. If the heat could, they would dump wade but that isn't an option. I sympathize...I have been sitting through Stat's contract.

If we can keep Lebron, Wade (cause he's my favorite player..), and get another quality player. Miami will still be a force. Man it kills me to not have that 3 peat.

Too bad they will be starting alongside dwade while lebron and bosh are playing in cleveland and houston.
LeBron and Bosh ain't going nowhere. Why would Bosh and Wade opt out then, as neither would be getting that type of dinero anywhere else.

This post was edited on 7/7 6:16 PM by JcaneO

Originally posted by JTH007:
To bad you are a Potato. If Bosh leaves, Carmelo comes to join Lebron.
We can replace Bosh with Deng and Gasol. There are still lots of players out there.

The Heat live and die with Lebron. That is the first step. Nothing else matters until WE get his commitment.

Riley will fill in around him. He seems to know his business very well.

McRoberts and Granger do help against the Spurs. Gives heat greater depth, shooting and rebounding. Napier can also help with his shooting and defense.

McRoberts gives just as much shooting (maybe better) as Lewis while improving rebounding, defense, and passing. Also much younger. He can play alongside Bosh or back him up where we don't lose any shooting.

Granger if healthy is still an excellent defender. Can shoot the 3. I suspect his shooting improves given the open looks he will get with Lebron on court. I suspect he will fill role similar to when Battier first arrived. He can provide similar defense and play small PF role. But actually is superior ball handler.

Also have to like the shooting that Ennis has shown in summer league so far. With his athleticism can be a future 3 & D player for us with some more raw offensive potential to hopefully develop. Some compare him to Bulls Jimmy Butler. That would be a great player to have alongside Lebron going into future if his development comes along.

If we can add in Jameer Nelson to roster to mentor Napier and maybe Cole, I believe the Heat has improved significantly.

I just watched the local 6:00PM sports and there was absolutely no mention of LeBron to the Cavs or anywhere else.
Udonis is washed up and needs to be let go. That would free up some cap space.
With his bad knees, I wouldn't offer D-Wade more than $7 - $8 mil/year. Take it or leave it.
And isn't Granger a former All-Star?

pat needs to get a gasol, deng, or Carmelo to join. Wade would be best coming off the bench like the Ginobli did a few years ago.

If Granger is so good he wouldn't have played for 3 teams last year.

Knicks suck. They managed to suck with Melo and will continue to suck no matter what happens. I hope Lebron stays just for the sake of continuing to beat some Knick ass.

Originally posted by Tiv:

I just watched the local 6:00PM sports and there was absolutely no mention of LeBron to the Cavs or anywhere else.
Udonis is washed up and needs to be let go. That would free up some cap space.
With his bad knees, I wouldn't offer D-Wade more than $7 - $8 mil/year. Take it or leave it.
And isn't Granger a former All-Star?
If you live in South Florida, of course they didn't mention him leaving.

I agree that Wade is worth about $8 million per at this point, but I don't see him taking that to stay with the Heat. Even if he did, then Bosh would still have to take a big discount for the Heat to add a 4th player.

Anything is possible, but if you want to win titles, the West is just an insane murderers row...spurs, okc, clips, portland, golden state, memphis, houston, and even dallas and phoenix to a lesser extent.

Stay East, young men!

I'll say it again, as broken as the Heat looked at the end, if it was any team but the Spurs, we'd be 3-peat champs today. Needs fine tuning, not nuking, but anything is possible.
This post was edited on 7/7 9:50 PM by Dufour Cane

Melo isnt even considering Heat. He isnt playing anywhere for 15 mil. Melo staying in Ny is pretty much a done deal.
If Bosh leaves the Heat can give Melo close to a Max contrat.

If that is the case why aren't they giving that to bosh? So they can screw the guy that came at a discount but open the vault for Melo?
They cant even come close to a max for melo if lebron is taking a max

Originally posted by eplanas:
McRoberts and Granger do help against the Spurs. Gives heat greater depth, shooting and rebounding. Napier can also help with his shooting and defense.

McRoberts gives just as much shooting (maybe better) as Lewis while improving rebounding, defense, and passing. Also much younger. He can play alongside Bosh or back him up where we don't lose any shooting.

Granger if healthy is still an excellent defender. Can shoot the 3. I suspect his shooting improves given the open looks he will get with Lebron on court. I suspect he will fill role similar to when Battier first arrived. He can provide similar defense and play small PF role. But actually is superior ball handler.

Also have to like the shooting that Ennis has shown in summer league so far. With his athleticism can be a future 3 & D player for us with some more raw offensive potential to hopefully develop. Some compare him to Bulls Jimmy Butler. That would be a great player to have alongside Lebron going into future if his development comes along.

If we can add in Jameer Nelson to roster to mentor Napier and maybe Cole, I believe the Heat has improved significantly.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Good post. The only part I'm not sure about is Granger's health. If relatively healthy he's a great addition...if not obviously a different story. I hope (and believe) Pat did his homework b/c we don't need another player we're holding our breath about health-wise all season long.

And speaking of D-Wade...I love all this talk about the "washed up Wade." He had a terrible Finals, there's no getting around it, but up until the Finals he played his best basketball in years. He put up nearly 20 pts per game and did it shooting over 55%, which NOBODY does. I honestly think he was hobbled after banging knees in game 1 in the Finals b/c he was never the same player after that (and I'm talking purely about his ability to move and get lift).

He'll never be the same player he was athletically, but he had a good season last year and if he could do it again he will be fine. If we can limit those minutes per game he can still be a very effective player, though we'll have to see at what price.

The problem with wade is he takes off half the season. Im sure that wears on Lebron and is something he is thinking about. Wade is getting guarded by the other team's #1 defender less and less as well now. He is still fine if he was making 8 mil a year...but he isn't and that is the problem. You could say the same thing about Stoudamire.

Heat fans are so delusional... Welcome back to the lottery heat wade grainger mcroberts and shabazz a your core bosh and Lebron are gone just face it

Originally posted by Ulegacy11:
Heat fans are so delusional... Welcome back to the lottery heat wade grainger mcroberts and shabazz a your core bosh and Lebron are gone just face it
The lottery. In the Eastern conference. And we're delusional. Got it.

I'm thinking lebron is gone, I think if him and the rest of 3 wouldnt have been dickin around the whole time and just made their minds up sooner the heat could have drawn some big names this offseason. Now it's looking like we will settle for scrubs, while lebron and bosh leave. It's back to first round exit next year. Hopefully we will land someone next free agency that will impact us better. Btw if lebron does leave he did wade dirty, the guy obviously was going to take a cut for him to stay now he will lose all that $$$$.

No, there was no option where we could keep the Big 3 and have the cap room to sign one of the "big names" this offseason. Also, the Heat have now already added Josh McRoberts, Danny Granger, Shabazz Napier, and James Ennis. Maybe bring in a point guard and another big man and you looking at a MUCH better core around the Big 3.

The Big 3 will survive this offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT