ADVERTISEMENT

More this morning from the PAC12 players who threaten boycott want 50% compensation

There was a time when sports were actually sports, something unifying, now it does just the opposite. I’m afraid the people that think they are gaining the most right now, are very near sighted when it comes to the future of sports. One of the most appealing things about sports was it’s ability to unite people, I’m afraid that’s gone.

Matt Hayes says the presidents should immediately institute Name, Image and Likeness policy so athletes can earn money on their own. He also says why no spring football.

Feldman
@BruceFeldmanCFB

#Oregon star DB Jevon Holland: “We’re not your entertainment, we’re human beings... We don’t know the long term risks. We have no idea how it’s going to affect our body regardless if we show symptoms or not. I refuse to put my health at risk for somebody else’s benefit.”

Reactions: Richie Y and MikeJW
This is what happens when you pay recruits to come to your school.
You make it a business, and kids learn there are dollars to there name. So, now you ask them to risk there health outside of regular football injuries, and they say what's in it for me.
NIL is the beginning of the process to keep kids happy for now, and only benefits a small amount of recruits for now. So, this will continue to be an issue for the players as a whole to get something.
Going to be interesting

This is what happens when you pay recruits to come to your school.
You make it a business, and kids learn there are dollars to there name. So, now you ask them to risk there health outside of regular football injuries, and they say what's in it for me.
NIL is the beginning of the process to keep kids happy for now, and only benefits a small amount of recruits for now. So, this will continue to be an issue for the players as a whole to get something.
Going to be interesting
You can’t make hundreds of millions and not compensate the players. We’ve always been heading this way.

ImmaculateBitterCollie-size_restricted.gif

You can’t make hundreds of millions and not compensate the players. We’ve always been heading this way.
Yeah you can, it's a thing called Education that 75% of these kids couldn't afford. Also, more than 75% of these kids will not make it to the league, so you've actually done them some good by positioning them with a future without football.
But, that's the past because moms/dads are willing to sell there soul and make money off there kids at an early age and there's always a buyer.

A few thoughts:

1. If the players are truly united they should all just sit out. Pac 12 is not about to cancel anyone's scholarship due to covid. Imagine the fall out of that. Also don't have to worry about teammate pressure like Gary or Matt suggested somewhere else.

2. If it is really about player safety then why are they asking for money? That hurts their position on player safety. If covid is a health concern it is a concern regardless of compensation. Now, they are essentially saying we are concerned about our safety, but we will play for a price?

3. Post covid, the NIL will be implemented probably in 2021, and 95% of players will not benefit because they are not popular enough. At least it will be a free market where you have to earn money rather than expect a handout on top of your free everything scholarship and football training. I am all for NIL. Let the kids that can get paid, but the notion that everyone deserves something is ludicrous.

Yeah you can, it's a thing called Education that 75% of these kids couldn't afford. Also, more than 75% of these kids will not make it to the league, so you've actually done them some good by positioning them with a future without football.
But, that's the past because moms/dads are willing to sell there soul and make money off there kids at an early age and there's always a buyer.
If the schools cared about the player’s education, they wouldn’t have spring ball. They would also redshirt all freshmen.

Reactions: quincycane
A few thoughts:

1. If the players are truly united they should all just sit out. Pac 12 is not about to cancel anyone's scholarship due to covid. Imagine the fall out of that. Also don't have to worry about teammate pressure like Gary or Matt suggested somewhere else.

2. If it is really about player safety then why are they asking for money? That hurts their position on player safety. If covid is a health concern it is a concern regardless of compensation. Now, they are essentially saying we are concerned about our safety, but we will play for a price?

3. Post covid, the NIL will be implemented probably in 2021, and 95% of players will not benefit because they are not popular enough. At least it will be a free market where you have to earn money rather than expect a handout on top of your free everything scholarship and football training. I am all for NIL. Let the kids that can get paid, but the notion that everyone deserves something is ludicrous.
List of demands include health, but also a few other things.

If they organize, they have leverage. Pretty simple.

Reactions: adanthony13
The colleges can just wait this out. At the end of the day kids will eventually play. Let’s say the extreme happens where they actually sit a year or two....eventually kids want their shot at the NFL. They will come back.

if I’m in charge, I laugh and sit back and take my temporary loss and eventually get out with paying nothing

right or wrong, that’s the play

The colleges can just wait this out. At the end of the day kids will eventually play. Let’s say the extreme happens where they actually sit a year or two....eventually kids want their shot at the NFL. They will come back.

if I’m in charge, I laugh and sit back and take my temporary loss and eventually get out with paying nothing

right or wrong, that’s the play
If the schools could afford that they would have cancelled the season.

Reactions: azzb
A few thoughts:

Yep. It’s illogical hypocrisy at its finest

List of demands include health, but also a few other things.

If they organize, they have leverage. Pretty simple.

I just don't see health being a demand when you are saying I will play for a profit share on the other side. Thats talking out of both sides.

They should just all sit out and say we are concerned about our health. That is the more powerful statement.

Schools are trying to save some money by playing. The big schools will stay afloat without a season and have all the leverage in the long term.

If the schools cared about the player’s education, they wouldn’t have spring ball. They would also redshirt all freshmen.
Spring ball is meant to get players ready for the grind of football, and develop them to be prepared.
Redshirting freshmen is not a bad idea

Reactions: BreakingCane
1. Allow players to sell their name, image, and likeness.

2. All income generated from said sales are to be distributed equally to all athletes, both scholarship and walk-ons.

3. You’re welcome.

Reactions: q8 cane
Or no more scholarships, pay them back with the money they make.
Just saying you know how many kids would die to be in their position. They act like we are treating like gladiators that’s fine think what you want but it’s just not true. We know you are a human being dude chill out but you are in no position to make this ridiculous of a demand. This is the issue you give an inch they take a mile. There is a middle
Ground somewhere and this kind of crap just is what’s wrong with our society today. Everyone needs some fake ass humanitarian cause and they put nice flowery social messages behind it to make
It seem genuine when really it’s bullshit to get what they want.

1. Allow players to sell their name, image, and likeness.

2. All income generated from said sales are to be distributed equally to all athletes, both scholarship and walk-ons.

3. You’re welcome.

I would love this recommendation because the star players wouldn't go for it. Fields and Lawrence would be raking in millions, would you share that with every player who is not as talented?

Easy to villianize the universities, but let's see the stars do that when NIL comes thru.

Reactions: Neil 212
pathetic - f'em all. i can't deal with unionized college athletes, much less when they want a huge bundle of money to play what they are attending college for free to play.

you want to get all of this money to play a sport? leave college and go try to play pro.

pathetic - f'em all. i can't deal with unionized college athletes, much less when they want a huge bundle of money to play what they are attending college for free to play.

you want to get all of this money to play a sport? leave college and go try to play pro.

the fact that they are taking this opportunity to hold their school and CFB hostage is shameful.

I just don't see health being a demand when you are saying I will play for a profit share on the other side. Thats talking out of both sides.

They should just all sit out and say we are concerned about our health. That is the more powerful statement.

Schools are trying to save some money by playing. The big schools will stay afloat without a season and have all the leverage in the long term.
1. Ensure our safety
2. Compensate us fairly for our labor

not hard

Reactions: JusticeCanes
Spring ball is meant to get players ready for the grind of football, and develop them to be prepared.
Redshirting freshmen is not a bad idea
I understand why spring ball exists. Just not sure it should. Maybe only helmets and shorts.

the fact that they are taking this opportunity to hold their school and CFB hostage is shameful.
Shameful? You’ve got to be joking. This is what organized labor does. It’s why we no longer have child labor. It’s why we have weekends. Etc etc etc

Determining whether or not some one is a prostitute, is whether they won't do something for money or whether they will, depending on how much money.

If it's about money to play then it isn't about Covid-19. period.

Correct.
Or let them apply for admission and get a student loan and IF they get in, graduate with a ton of debt like 90% of college grads.
Yep, they are already allowed to earn money from their likeness, which will be driven mostly by their performance on the field and/or influence on the fans.

Reactions: Omnipoint and 4210
I would love this recommendation because the star players wouldn't go for it. Fields and Lawrence would be raking in millions, would you share that with every player who is not as talented?

Easy to villianize the universities, but let's see the stars do that when NIL comes thru.
They are asking for _all_ athletes to have share of the revenue. So, Trevor wouldn’t just be sharing his money with the 100 other football players, he would be sharing it with the 1,000 other athletes playing everything from baseball to women’s soccer. When word around campus spreads that even walk-ons get paid, their will be 10,000 students walking on the golf and fencing teams. Trevor will get 0.01% of what he makes.

I predict that people like Trevor wont have much incentive to allow their name to be used. They will be pressured to participate, but they will be very selective to prevent their NIL getting overused and losing future value. They will have excuses, like that car dealer made a racially insensitive tweet five year ago, or that sport drink is non-union, etc. Players will get far less revenue than they expect. It is a way to quiet the rabel rousers without destroying the amateur nature of college sports.

1. Ensure our safety
2. Compensate us fairly for our labor

not hard

Safety is insured if you don't play. Again, they will not cancel your schollie. Frankly, the schollie is earned because you agree to play. The unis recognized the pandemic and are supporting players who choose to sit out.

2. You are compensated. Compare to the minor leagues in pro sports. What is your alternative? Go pro and get cut?

Thats like saying a 60k year employee should get 200k because his company makes billions. Nope. Reality is players are replaceable, just like the rest of us in every walk of life.

Not hard.

ADVERTISEMENT