ADVERTISEMENT

More this morning from the PAC12 players who threaten boycott want 50% compensation

There was a time when sports were actually sports, something unifying, now it does just the opposite. I’m afraid the people that think they are gaining the most right now, are very near sighted when it comes to the future of sports. One of the most appealing things about sports was it’s ability to unite people, I’m afraid that’s gone.
Well said I don’t want any politics in sports whether I agree or not. Nothing like sitting in the stands when The U makes a great play and high fiving, chest bumping and all that goes with it with fans of all stripes

Well said I don’t want any politics in sports whether I agree or not. Nothing like sitting in the stands when The U makes a great play and high fiving, chest bumping and all that goes with it with fans of all stripes

Sports used to be the great unifier, bringing people from all walks of life together, it’s better to identify with people instead of accentuating each other’s differences. We’re at a tipping point, and I’m afraid things will never be the same. I’m amazed at the great number of people who don’t see it.

Sports used to be the great unifier, bringing people from all walks of life together, it’s better to identify with people instead of accentuating each other’s differences. We’re at a tipping point, and I’m afraid things will never be the same. I’m amazed at the great number of people who don’t see it.

I completely agree, but at some point we have to call a spade a spade. I really despise politics. Part of why I love sports.

But sports is being wielded as a political weapon. A real shame.

You can’t allow the players to dictate any terms on a collective basis
But who knows ? The academia’s mindset is clearly pro worker anti establishment. Radical left in my view
And this certainly has political overtones
If players elect not to show up for practice and commit to playing, they need to be suspended and their ships cancelled. Period
Clearly any person has a right to be safe , but from all accounts every school has established very strong protections
It’s a question of whether the administrations have the balls to take a firm stance against this nonsense

Safety is insured if you don't play. Again, they will not cancel your schollie. Frankly, the schollie is earned because you agree to play. The unis recognized the pandemic and are supporting players who choose to sit out.

2. You are compensated. Compare to the minor leagues in pro sports. What is your alternative? Go pro and get cut?

Thats like saying a 60k year employee should get 200k because his company makes billions. Nope. Reality is players are replaceable, just like the rest of us in every walk of life.

Not hard.
Ok, let’s see what happens when universities fire football players.

But who knows ? The academia’s mindset is clearly pro worker anti establishment. Radical left in my view
If players elect not to show up for practice and commit to playing, they need to be suspended and their ships cancelled. Period
Clearly any person has a right to be safe , but from all accounts every school has established very strong protections
It’s a question of whether the administrations have the balls to take a firm stance against this nonsense
They are allowed to opt out.

Good for the players.
Good for the players? Lol

You do realize there is a difference between revenues and profits, right? Let’s assume that there is a 50% profit margin on that $530M in revenues. That means half of the total would go to expenses, the rest to the athletes. Schools would get zero.

How do schools continue to fund non-revenue generating sports if they get none of the pool of money the conference collects from revenue generating ones? This would force a lot of schools to cut sports and services. This is extremely short sighted of the players.

They are allowed to opt out.
Yeah slavery isn’t allowed anymore . There was a war that decided that. Of course they can opt out
But what school has stated that a kid can elect to sit out and still have his spot and scholarship remain intact? Are there any ?
If a Cane player decides not to show up this Friday , what does Manny do ?
He needs to cancel the ship immediately.
Done . Good by!
I think the NFL has some deal where there is a player can postpone the season with limited financial impact
Don’t know , not a fan. I’d rather watch ⛳️
This has not been decided on a college level.

Yeah slavery isn’t allowed anymore . There was a war that decided that. Of course they can opt out
But what school has stated that a kid can elect to sit out and still have his spot and scholarship remain intact? Are there any ?
Done . Good by!
I think the NFL has some deal where there is a player can postpone the season with limited financial impact
The Pac-12 has previously promised that all athletes who choose not to play this season because of health or safety concerns will have their scholarship protected and remain in good standing with their team.

google is not hard.

Reactions: JusticeCanes
Done . Good by!
No school will take any kid’s scholarship away just for sitting out to avoid covid. All kids have to earn their spots when they come back. That isn’t the issue.

What direct inpact on your fan expierence will it have if the kids get paid? Does anyone walk into your place of work and tell your boss, no dont pay him more, its not right. Fire him if he dare asks for more money. Its a free enterprise system. They provide a service and are looking to ensure their compensation is commensurate with the entertainment value they provide. Granted, their alternative is a steep one, meaning no play you get nothing and a pretty small chance you can make money playing pro ball.
But the numbers on TV contracts alone are astronomical. 2018/2019 numbers on tv revenue payouts:
ACC and PAC 12 29.5 mil per school
BIG 12 34.7 mil per school
BIG 10 54 mill per school
SEC just got a raise to 63 mil per school
ESPN made 793 mil is ad revenue for college football broadcasts. By comparision the NFL games only made them 314 mil.

DO the kids deserve 50% of that, no, not even close. But to get some more in the form of tangible compensation isnt too much to ask. I understand the arugement about the scholarship is worth XX of $$ depending on what school your at. Hard to tell a kid who cant get a job, cant pay for a meal your scholarship is your payment just deal with it when ESPN, Schools, bowl reps etc.. are being paid millions of dollars.
If they did get paid, highly doubt its going to be a huge inpact to fans at large.

Reactions: jdx2112
The Pac-12 has previously promised that all athletes who choose not to play this season because of health or safety concerns will have their scholarship protected and remain in good standing with their team.

google is not hard.
Figures that the PAC 12 did that
Have not seen anything from the ACC
Now the demands have increased
Going to hard to distinguish between a safety claim and a demand for social or criminal justice.
What a joke
The PAC 12 will regret their capitulation
And as the scholarships are annually renewable, I would be interested in how many get renewed for players who quit on their teammates

Reactions: 4210
Figures that the PAC 12 did that
Have not seen anything from the ACC
Now the demands have increased
Going to hard to distinguish between a safety claim and a demand for social or criminal justice.
What a joke
The PAC 12 will regret their capitulation
And as the scholarships are annually renewable, I would be interested in how many get renewed for players who quit on their teammates
Most, if not all, ACC schools will honor the scholarships of fall sports athletes who opt out of playing this season due to health concerns, according to a News & Observer survey.

The ACC left that decision up to individual schools, and 12 of the 15 schools confirmed they would honor those financial aid agreements, including all four North Carolina schools and Clemson.

- you’re welcome

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article244634197.html#storylink=cpy

Yep, get players willing to play for their education. Let other who want to get paid play XFL or in some other B league until they are eligible for the NFL. See how the real world works.

having read it again, have to say i do like the part about coaches, staff and administrators having to dramatically cut their "excess pay."

Reactions: jdx2112
Most, if not all, ACC schools will honor the scholarships of fall sports athletes who opt out of playing this season due to health concerns, according to a News & Observer survey.

The ACC left that decision up to individual schools, and 12 of the 15 schools confirmed they would honor those financial aid agreements, including all four North Carolina schools and Clemson.

- you’re welcome

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article244634197.html#storylink=cpy[/QUOTE
Well typical political correct nonsense
First off has any body actually opted out?
Second a boycott for the reasons identified in the OP , is way different than a medical opt out by and individual player
Third , let me know of a Miami Hurricane who doesn’t show up for practice on Friday and how Manny will deal with that
Fourth, I’m excited about the NC schools allowing their players to sit home. The QB at NC should take the year off, he was a pretty good freshman
The schools can’t let the liberal media advance this social justice, redistribution , Covid scare narrative.
Poor oppressed minority kids being exploited and subject to deadly infection

Yep, get players willing to play for their education. Let other who want to get paid play XFL or in some other B league until they are eligible for the NFL. See how the real world works.

How is the NCAA basketball working? Yes, the tournament is a big money maker, but compare the revenue to back in the 80s/90s when actual stars played in NCAA. You have maybe 5 players people know about across all teams, thats it. 83 Georgetown vs UNC had 3 HOF players and two more all stars on both rosters. CFB would get a smaller talent pool, not to mention UM football would take a huge hit. It works both ways.

Reactions: quincycane
having read it again, have to say i do like the part about coaches, staff and administrators having to dramatically cut their "excess pay."

This is the most underrated part about why is college education so expensive; the administrative overhead that's why. Kids are learning same crap we leared 10-20 years ago but the professers deans and admin are getting paid much better.

1. Allow players to sell their name, image, and likeness.

2. All income generated from said sales are to be distributed equally to all athletes, both scholarship and walk-ons.

3. You’re welcome.

I don't think the marquis players would tolerate that.

1. Allow players to sell their name, image, and likeness.

2. All income generated from said sales are to be distributed equally to all athletes, both scholarship and walk-ons.

3. You’re welcome.
One of your points is dead-on. All NIL income should be shared equally among the players. That’s what the ACC does with non-stadium revenue. Otherwise, self interest and jealousy will destroy locker rooms, guaranteed.

How is the NCAA basketball working? Yes, the tournament is a big money maker, but compare the revenue to back in the 80s/90s when actual stars played in NCAA. You have maybe 5 players people know about across all teams, thats it. 83 Georgetown vs UNC had 3 HOF players and two more all stars on both rosters. CFB would get a smaller talent pool, not to mention UM football would take a huge hit. It works both ways.
The physical maturity required to play NFL vs. NBA directly out of HS or after 1 year of college are worlds apart. Apples and oranges!

Matt Hayes says the presidents should immediately institute Name, Image and Likeness policy so athletes can earn money on their own. He also says why no spring football.

Figures Pac
Good for the players.
LMAO figures you’re pussified liberal donk ass would support the most absurd request Ive ever heard.
Frankly, you dont play, kick them off the team. Let them lose an education and a 4 year, once in a lifetime opportunity/
experience
You can’t make hundreds of millions and not compensate the players. We’ve always been heading this way.
Your ignorance abounds.
You are the kind of person I worry about.
Pfffffft

The colleges can just wait this out. At the end of the day kids will eventually play. Let’s say the extreme happens where they actually sit a year or two....eventually kids want their shot at the NFL. They will come back.

if I’m in charge, I laugh and sit back and take my temporary loss and eventually get out with paying nothing

right or wrong, that’s the play

Spoken like a old out of touch person. These kids generate hundreds of billions of dollars each year. Education is great indeeed but a little more compensation wouldn't have hurt. If you think someone wont create a league for kids to play in (think xfl for 17-22 yr olds)you're delusional. NCAA and these presidents better think and think fast.

That is due to one and done.
Spoken like a old out of touch person. These kids generate hundreds of billions of dollars each year. Education is great indeeed but a little more compensation wouldn't have hurt. If you think someone wont create a league for kids to play in (think xfl for 17-22 yr olds)you're delusional. NCAA and these presidents better think and think fast.

I would love the colleges to call that bluff. That leagur will be a disaster like many others. Too many reasons to explain in detail why.

That is due to one and done.

I would love the colleges to call that bluff. That leagur will be a disaster like many others. Too many reasons to explain in detail why.

We'll agree to disagree but if you think there isn't smart enough people to take advantage of a trillion dollar void you're delusional. Loyalty from alumni to school is big but there's a reason why football usually pays the whole athletic budget. These kids have all the leverage don't fool yourself and think differently.

We'll agree to disagree but if you think there isn't smart enough people to take advantage of a trillion dollar void you're delusional. Loyalty from alumni to school is big but there's a reason why football usually pays the whole athletic budget. These kids have all the leverage don't fool yourself and think differently.
Until it’s gone.

yep and they already get a meaningful stipend that is plenty for spending money when you consider they get free room and board

Yes they do but it doesn't compare to what the coaches make. The top coaches earn as much in one or maybe two seasons as the players who don't go on to the NFL will make in a lifetime.

Reactions: zackbear
Until it’s gone.

Loss of football revenue would kill most collegiate sports in there entirety. The football players hold the leverage and if they're smart they'll come out of this situation in a stronger financial position.

Loss of football revenue would kill most collegiate sports in there entirety. The football players hold the leverage and if they're smart they'll come out of this situation in a stronger financial position.
They are getting paid for their likeness. Good players will reap the rewards. Others get $100k-$200k in tuition, tutors, premium meals, cash and other perks that most others don’t get.

The physical maturity required to play NFL vs. NBA directly out of HS or after 1 year of college are worlds apart. Apples and oranges!

Agree the sports are apples and Oranges, but the situations you mentioned above are the same. What I mean by that is to quote your post 'let them go play in a B leauge somewhere waiting for the NFL.' My point is College basketball has proven that, given a choice, your top talent will walk if paid. Basketball has never been the same since kids started leaving straight from high school to the pros.

I know its a big IF and a shaky exectuion to get an alternative to the college to NFL pipeline we have now. IF I were McMahon and the XFL, I know they are out of bussiness but for the sake of arguement, Id go to high schools and colleges and start offering up $$ to kids to play in my leauge. What does he or the kid have to lose?

The money that is brought in to pay the kids some decent, not life changing money, is there. $5-10 extra a ticket could get every FBS football player a 10-15k yearly stipend. Not exactly earth shattering cost.

Reactions: gamecane1979
Yes they do but it doesn't compare to what the coaches make. The top coaches earn as much in one or maybe two seasons as the players who don't go on to the NFL will make in a lifetime.

And yet those players have a free education that has the potential to be life changing.

Only a triggered mouth breather would think that free tuition is commensurate to the money generated by these players.

LMAO!

Reactions: Arlo3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT