ADVERTISEMENT

More this morning from the PAC12 players who threaten boycott want 50% compensation

i have no problem with players insisting on thought-out safety measures. i also have no problem with a player saying i'll give up my athletic scholarship this year and not play. it's the part about i want to share 50-50 in your revenues that i find offensive. like i said above, turn pro and see where you can play.

They are getting paid for their likeness. Good players will reap the rewards. Others get $100k-$200k in tuition, tutors, premium meals, cash and other perks that most others don’t get.

And it's not even 5% of the total pie. This is the players time and I'm rooting for them. And if they succeed its a win for everybody. Players get more money,it helps families and football doesnt change. They are the game and deserve better compensation. I for one would love if they negotiate lifetime insurance at a reduce rate with the NCAA footing 70-80% of the cost.

Spoken like a old out of touch person. These kids generate hundreds of billions of dollars each year. Education is great indeeed but a little more compensation wouldn't have hurt. If you think someone wont create a league for kids to play in (think xfl for 17-22 yr olds)you're delusional. NCAA and these presidents better think and think fast.
I don’t think I’m old, I’m 38 lol. I don’t think I’m out of touch either. I do think you may have an issue with reading comprehension though.

what I said has no bearing on whether I think the kids should get paid or not. It was what I would do from a business perspective on the colleges side.

If you care for my personal opinion on pay for play, I will gladly provide it. I believe there should be a decision made by the player upon committing to a school. He should decide on whether to take the scholarship (free education) or pay his own way but get the ability to make money any way he sees fit With no cap on earnings (boosters, Social media, autographs, etc). They shouldn’t get both, either take the $ or the scholi. Each school gets a set amount of players.

kids like Reggie Bush would make millions in school but kids who aren’t as good as they think they are and flop would leave with nothing if they go for the $$$. It would show who really values what, and I don’t fault either. Choose wisely.

Last edited:
This is greed pure and simple. This is like a medical resident asking for 50 percent of his attending physicians pay. These guys have free tuition access to sports trainers , copious free food ,football coaching and a top flight education. The fools thinking this is great are mistaken. If they push this many of them will be persona non grata and they will find themselves playing in some podunk minor football league beating themselves up for chump change.Most of what a college makes from football goes back into the athletic programs. Lots of students in other sports will lose scholarships.
But stupid is as stupid does . If players want to become race hustlers they deserve what they will get ,the ire of the public and no one who will watch them. The NFL-toast.The NBA -same. College football used to be about teamwork, education ,maturation and camaraderie. This generation of kids is about to take a wrecking ball to it.

And it's not even 5% of the total pie. This is the players time and I'm rooting for them. And if they succeed its a win for everybody. Players get more money,it helps families and football doesnt change. They are the game and deserve better compensation. I for one would love if they negotiate lifetime insurance at a reduce rate with the NCAA footing 70-80% of the cost.
This is called amateur sports. You clearly dont understand the value of a degree. Do you have one? Not difficult to understand.

Disband the PAC 12 don’t give in to these progressive spoiled little shits.

It is one thing for a random kid or so to truly be so concerned about COVID that they choose not to play. They should be protected. But if a "group" stages a walkoff of their contractual responsibilities, they have breached the scholarship contract. The University has every right to not honor the scholarship and ask them to leave campus. Once that happens the majority of players will ask to return and hundreds will be lined up to take their spot.

It is one thing for a random kid or so to truly be so concerned about COVID that they choose not to play. They should be protected. But if a "group" stages a walkoff of their contractual responsibilities, they have breached the scholarship contract. The University has every right to not honor the scholarship and ask them to leave campus. Once that happens the majority of players will ask to return and hundreds will be lined up to take their spot.
Agree. If they are concerned that’s all well amd fine but this is way past that and they are exploiting COVID instead. Sad to see.

Good for the players? Lol

You do realize there is a difference between revenues and profits, right? Let’s assume that there is a 50% profit margin on that $530M in revenues. That means half of the total would go to expenses, the rest to the athletes. Schools would get zero.

How do schools continue to fund non-revenue generating sports if they get none of the pool of money the conference collects from revenue generating ones? This would force a lot of schools to cut sports and services. This is extremely short sighted of the players.

Actually the players answered that question. They said that the schools could not drop minor sports. They said that the Universities should pay for them out of their endowment funds. Most endowment funds are earmarked to a specific use. Money to fund the Music school cannot be diverted to Water Polo.

Also remember that out of the School's take of Athletic Revenue, a significant % goes to the specific program they are enrolled at. The University does not just say Athlete's go for free. The Athletic Dept writes a check to "The School of Marine Biology" etc. The numbers just don't work. And the second a University uses State or Federal dollars to "pay" one class of students and not another, all bet's are off.

What is really sad is that these demands show such a lack of understanding of basic economic and legal realities. That alone is cause for concern. What exactly are these young men learning in the PAC 12?

Should the band receive the same deal? How about all students in the Marine Biology program. And all students in the Criminology department. Let's not stop there. Ticket takers and hot vendors should also receive the same lifetime insurance with the NCAA paying 70-80%.

Reactions: Omnipoint
Should the band receive the same deal? How about all students in the Marine Biology program. And all students in the Criminology department. Let's not stop there. Ticket takers and hot vendors should also receive the same lifetime insurance with the NCAA paying 70-80%.

Why would or should the marine biology or criminology department even be in this discussion? Are they risking permanent brain damage and have they created a trillion dollar industry that supports and carries the other departments? Come with a sensible argument and you wont look as ignorant as your reply makes you seem.

Actually the players answered that question. They said that the schools could not drop minor sports. They said that the Universities should pay for them out of their endowment funds. Most endowment funds are earmarked to a specific use. Money to fund the Music school cannot be diverted to Water Polo.

Also remember that out of the School's take of Athletic Revenue, a significant % goes to the specific program they are enrolled at. The University does not just say Athlete's go for free. The Athletic Dept writes a check to "The School of Marine Biology" etc. The numbers just don't work. And the second a University uses State or Federal dollars to "pay" one class of students and not another, all bet's are off.

What is really sad is that these demands show such a lack of understanding of basic economic and legal realities. That alone is cause for concern. What exactly are these young men learning in the PAC 12?
Right they are asking for two conflicting things. Without the money from media rights, schools can't fund non-revenue generating sports. But the athletes also don't want sports cut. They think tapping into the endowment fund is feasible when it's not; as you note, those funds are earmarked for certain purposes and the usage of said funds is audited.

The financial component of this ask is preposterous. Fully funded scholarships for six years, compensation from NIL, pay-to-play, plus all the other benefits student-athletes are entitled to (stipends, tutors, etc.). These kids would effectively be making $100K+ per year when factoring in the cost of education. They have completely overplayed their hand; they don't realize that most of us don't care about the players' names on the back of the jersey. We root for Miami and we will tune in and watch whomever is suiting up for our school/teams.

This is called amateur sports. You clearly dont understand the value of a degree. Do you have one? Not difficult to understand.

Do you have one is a better question. And aint shit amateur about trillions being made and the ones giving the most to make it happen are compensated the least. You have college football coaches being the highest paid state employee. Think about that for a second. And you want to complain about these kids and families getting a little more.

Do you have one is a better question. And aint shit amateur about trillions being made and the ones giving the most to make it happen are compensated the least. You have college football coaches being the highest paid state employee. Think about that for a second. And you want to complain about these kids and families getting a little more.
Which is why I was all for athletes getting paid for their likeness and making $$ from their names on jerseys, etc.

Its the PAC-12 bruh...

Stanford
Oregon
Cal
UCLA
Washington

Just those 5 schools represent an area of the country that is still in an uproar over social injustice. The same people that are crowding streets and ignoring social distancing orders. The same people that cry out about injustice while they're burning down stores and taking over police stations... not allowing people to travel freely thru an area and assaulting those who have different points of view from them. The same people that demand $15 per hour minimum wage. The same people that want socialized healthcare. The same people that hate Capitalism. The same people that wipe their asses with the American flag and the Constitution.

What do you think these kids are learning?!?

They're going to learn the hard way... just as the rioters and occupiers did. There are rules in America that have to be followed. Choose not to follow them and suffer the consequences of your decisions.

Reactions: krvanness
Coaches are paid according to the market.
That’s the system we live in
College athletes are simply not professional.
No one forceS kids to play sports in college.
No one forces them to go to college
They are free to stay home and try out for a professional career when eligible
What irks me the most about this initiative are three things
1) opportunistic use of Covid
2) opportunistic use of the BLM movement
3) the fake news sensationalism of this “ story”

Why would or should the marine biology or criminology department even be in this discussion? Are they risking permanent brain damage and have they created a trillion dollar industry that supports and carries the other departments? Come with a sensible argument and you wont look as ignorant as your reply makes you seem.

You don't have to risk permanent brain damage. The choice is not to play and go to college like every other highschool football player not getting a scholarship.

The reality is that many kids would not have an opportunity at college without football. That is a social issue on many levels. But not the responsibility of the schools.

coaches are overpaid
Coaches are paid according to the market.
That’s the system we live in
College athletes are simply not professional.
No one forceS kids to play sports in college.
No one forces them to go to college
They are free to stay home and try out for a professional career when eligible
What irks me the most about this initiative are three things
1) opportunistic use of Covid
2) opportunistic use of the BLM movement
3) the fake news sensationalism of this “ story”

Coaches are overpaid is ridiculous. These same people want to hold them to an unrealistic standard too when a player or staff member does something.

Be prepared to get off your high horse of football coach expectations if you want to reduce their pay.

You don't have to risk permanent brain damage. The choice is not to play and go to college like every other highschool football player not getting a scholarship.

The reality is that many kids would not have an opportunity at college without football. That is a social issue on many levels. But not the responsibility of the schools.

Let me say this so you can understand

Players generate trillions every year and receive less than 5% when everything is added up. Miss me with that bullshit. I never said the school should subsidize i said the NCAA whose banked trillions and been fuxking these kids over should be. If the student athletes saw a 20% of the take it would make things right. I hope these kids get everything they deserve. And please stop using that stupid ass argument they don't have to play. Society benefits from them playing. Trillions are made from ticket sales,merchandise,concession stands etc. They create hundreds of thousands of jobs. They deserve more and there's never been a better time to force the change.

Because they are part of the University. Their tuition pays for the classrooms, walkways, common areas, parking admin buildings, grounds maintenance etc. They are part of the institution. A football program is part of the institution. UM nor any other college exists so the football program can have a tax exempt cover.

No one is forcing these young men to take the physical risks they do. They can choose to do so as part of a College Scholarship, a Professional contract, or they can choose to not take the risks at all. They can simply be a student only or take a job in a less risky line of work.

I am sure that there will be more than enough young men that will gladly accept a full room and board scholarship, play the sport they love and if they excel at it, gain professional employment. That approach has worked well for years. I am sure it will continue to work well into the future.

Players generate trillions every year and receive less than 5% when everything is added up. Miss me with that bullshit. I never said the school should subsidize i said the NCAA whose banked trillions and been fuxking these kids over should be. If the student athletes saw a 20% of the take it would make things right. I hope these kids get everything they deserve. And please stop using that stupid ass argument they don't have to play. Society benefits from them playing. Trillions are made from ticket sales,merchandise,concession stands etc. They create hundreds of thousands of jobs. They deserve more and there's never been a better time to force the change.

Society benefits? If you say so. Here is what will happen.

A small percentage of the best college players will make it in the NFL.

The ones that leave college will either not play or play in a league that will go under in 1 to 2 years. Nobody is going to go support the miami rhinos over the miami hurricanes.

The colleges will offer scholarships to the next tier of high school recruits. Sure there won't be the best of the best but it is all relative. All these kids look like stars in high school and the product on the field will be plenty good enough for college football to thrive.

Players are like entry level positions in a business firm. They do not get compensated like the shareholders. Nor should they. What they get is fair compensation and the opportunities for better positions. Players get all of that and then some.

For the record, the don't play argument is absolutely valid. That is how society works, why treat athletes any different?

Don't want to work long hours? Don't be a doctor or lawyer. Don't want to get hurt on the job? Don't work in those fields. So on and so forth.

Oh, and none of those groups get paid as much as their employer makes. Not even close.

Its the PAC-12 bruh...

Stanford
Oregon
Cal
UCLA
Washington

Just those 5 schools represent an area of the country that is still in an uproar over social injustice. The same people that are crowding streets and ignoring social distancing orders. The same people that cry out about injustice while they're burning down stores and taking over police stations... not allowing people to travel freely thru an area and assaulting those who have different points of view from them. The same people that demand $15 per hour minimum wage. The same people that want socialized healthcare. The same people that hate Capitalism. The same people that wipe their asses with the American flag and the Constitution.

What do you think these kids are learning?!?

They're going to learn the hard way... just as the rioters and occupiers did. There are rules in America that have to be followed. Choose not to follow them and suffer the consequences of your decisions.

The market will decide. The same as those that demanded $15/hr at McDonalds were replaced by self service terminals, this PAC 12 player will never happen. For the same reason. It doesn't make sense. Again, my question is how does a college student not understand such basic market and economic realities.

They have a valid point that they should receive some compensation for being asked to save the schools. They’re way off base in their ask though.

If you have no chance to make the NFL or you’re a lock to make the league, the argument to play is not that strong.

If you’re on the cusp or need to improve your draft stock that’s a different story.

I’m still not overly optimistic we see football this year but hoping for the best.

The market will decide. The same as those that demanded $15/hr at McDonalds were replaced by self service terminals, this PAC 12 player will never happen. For the same reason. It doesn't make sense. Again, my question is how does a college student not understand such basic market and economic realities.

Because students are not taught reality in schools?

Reactions: central17

First of all it is not "Trillions", the entire revenue from CFB for the power 5 is $4.1 Billion/year. Football subsidizes all other college sports. Many of these power 5 schools still have to subsidize the athletic departments. All for players being paid for NIL, but they are already paid a stipend in addition to a free education and room and board. Splitting revenue as suggested by PAC 12 players would be the end to all other college sports and the scholarships that go with them. Very few CFB will go on to the NFL, the education is what will support them in the future.

Their brainwashing took hold and logic was lost.

First of all it is not "Trillions", the entire revenue from CFB for the power 5 is $4.1 Billion/year. Football subsidizes all other college sports. Many of these power 5 schools still have to subsidize the athletic departments. All for players being paid for NIL, but they are already paid a stipend in addition to a free education and room and board. Splitting revenue as suggested by PAC 12 players would be the end to all other college sports and the scholarships that go with them. Very few CFB will go on to the NFL, the education is what will support them in the future.

2f5xut.jpg

Reactions: Omnipoint

I never said split the revenue but the current model is bullshit. And i stand corrected on trillions. I was adding in and thinking of TV money.

As i said i was adding in tv network deal,money generated in food for cities but yeah my figure was off. My bad i can admit that. Doesn't change that the current model is bullshit tho.
Far from BS. Players get hundreds of thousands in tuition and other services and perks most others do not. Schools are not for profit. Football pays for other sports. Players can now make $$ from their likeness, provided they are any good. Simple.

Reactions: zackbear and 4210

Thank you Kevinf57, I was about to post the same thing. Mr. Trillions posted that I was ignorant, Yet he does not understand the difference between $4.1B and $2T+ He must work for the federal government?

I never said split the revenue but the current model is bullshit. And i stand corrected on trillions. I was adding in and thinking of TV money.

TV Money is included in that $4B. NCAA Football Revenue was$804M in 2019. There is this cool new thing called Google. Would suggest using it before stating insanely false information as fact. You are welcome to fact check by googling "ncaa college football annual
tv revenue"

And as to the current model. Not quite sure how you can judge any model of any kind when you obviously don't understand the model? $4.1B to $2T+ is a not a rounding error. It is a rather significant part of the underlying assumptions of the model.

But they have that opportunity only because the business model was designed and put in place by the NCAA. Nobody dislikes the NCAA more than I do, but these college athletes are benefiting just as much as the Universities. The athletes didnt come together 100 years ago and develop collegiate athletics and make it what it is today. College football is WILDLY popular because of excellent marketing and the fans love of the TEAM and UNIVERSITY itself... not the player. Players come and go... and once they're gone, the fans are still there rooting for their team and alma mater.

If college players press this issue they will be REPLACED by other athletes that would give their left nut to be afforded the opportunity to play. And the fans will still watch and support the team and university because THAT is what fuels the flames... and its why College fans are more loyal than NFL fans.

This is a bad move for the athletes attempting to use this "crisis" in my opinion. They arent the driving factor in College Football. Yes... there are some guys who have a name for themselves, but Clemson fans won't stop watching if Trevor Lawrence opts out. Its just the way it is.

Players get to build their name, skills and ability in college as they prepare to enter the NFL and get paid more money than 99.9% of their fellow students will once they graduate with a degree. Sounds like a good trade-off to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT