ADVERTISEMENT

National Anthem

Well whether or not a person stands for an Anthem doesnt determine my choices and I am a 26 year and 3 time Army war veteran.

Trying to make this about us the vary same ppl that have fought to maintain the freedoms of this country to include the right to protest injustice is disingenuous.

Y’all care so much whether or not people stand for a piece of cloth and not enough for when the rights and freedoms that the cloth represents are taken away or abused by the govt.

Meanwhile, death, disease, poverty, famine, etc. exist in this world but you care about a damn cloth. Grow up

I think the NFL will adopt one of two things to resolve the problem with the anthem..Eirher revert back to Pre-2009 rules when both teams had to stay in the locker room until the anthem was played or not play the anthem at all....The latter would be hugely problematic..The former would solve a lot of problems for the NFL..

Reactions: oldschoolcane
Here we go again. The disrespecting the flag nonsense while half the stadium is at the concession stand or in the bathroom. I wish players would stop doing it just so we can stop this dumb argument.

As a middle age white man, I have ZERO issue with folks protesting racial injustice PEACEFULLY in a public platform that they've earned through athletic achievements. History always proves those folks correct (shutout to the Greatest Of All Time Cassius Clay AKA Muhammad Ali).

I think the NFL will adopt one of two things to resolve the problem with the anthem..Eirher revert back to Pre-2009 rules when both teams had to stay in the locker room until the anthem was played or not play the anthem at all....The latter would be hugely problematic..The former would solve a lot of problems for the NFL..
I agree, but the Anthem needs to be played, IMO.

Reactions: orly 1022
I agree, but the Anthem needs to be played, IMO.

Does it though? Never understood why.

They don't play it before a movie.
They don't play it before a play at the theater.
They don't play it before most concerts.
They don't play it before the circus.
They don't play it when opening museums.
They don't play it at the Opera/Ballet House.

Sports are entertainment activities, and I don't understand why there needs to be a correlation with this particular entertainment activity and patriotism (unless it's an international competition like the World Cup, Olympics, World Baseball Classic, etc where it's a National Team).

Last edited:
Reactions: er1949 and Kgfamu
Well whether or not a person stands for an Anthem doesnt determine my choices and I am a 26 year and 3 time Army war veteran.

Trying to make this about us the vary same ppl that have fought to maintain the freedoms of this country to include the right to protest injustice is disingenuous.
No it is not disingenuous. If those people find it offensive who are you to tell them it should not? I thank you for your service. It really is simple for me and that is I don't want this at any of my entertainment venues. Not sports, not concerts, not Broadway. I want to go to be entertained not hear about someones personal agenda politically or otherwise. Harry US Navy 79-85

Like I said before glad they keep college in for this or I could possible never attend another game. Free Speech Gary

This post is hilarious and a contradiction at the same damn time.

Gary don't remove my post ("Free Speech") but boy i hate the NFL and how they let guys kneel. LOL Some if you guys are clueless. I used to get mad about shyt like this but i realized for most you- its just plain ignorance and bandwagon rhetoric (in other words Clowns who can't think for themselves)

took a min from my day but I couldn't help to point out this blatant contradiction. LOL @gchaneyjr you sir and every clown that like your post is an idiot. I digress - carry on.

No it is not disingenuous. If those people find it offensive who are you to tell them it should not? I thank you for your service. It really is simple for me and that is I don't want this at any of my entertainment venues. Not sports, not concerts, not Broadway. I want to go to be entertained not hear about someones personal agenda politically or otherwise. Harry US Navy 79-85

But who are you to tell me what to do at my job?

Here we go again. The disrespecting the flag nonsense while half the stadium is at the concession stand or in the bathroom. I wish players would stop doing it just so we can stop this dumb argument.

As a middle age white man, I have ZERO issue with folks protesting racial injustice PEACEFULLY in a public platform that they've earned through athletic achievements. History always proves those folks correct (shutout to the Greatest Of All Time Cassius Clay AKA Muhammad Ali).
It is NOT a public forum. It is very much a private forum where the public are the customers of a PRIVATE enterprise.

It is NOT a public forum. It is very much a private forum where the public are the customers of a PRIVATE enterprise.

I disagree with that statement because this is not a regular job, it is a job that is in the public eye. Additionally, these are not employees, these are partners of the league that work under a mutually agreed upon CBA (collective bargaining agreement).

Not as simple as private enterprise.

I disagree with that statement because this is not a regular job, it is a job that is in the public eye. Additionally, these are not employees, these are partners of the league that work under a mutually agreed upon CBA (collective bargaining agreement).

Not as simple as private enterprise.
It is 100% Private just like Walmart.

I agree with you. There should be not place for political statement in entertainment. The anthem by definition is a political statement. No anthem at games = problem solved. BTW thank you for your service.

Y’all care so much whether or not people stand for a piece of cloth and not enough for when the rights and freedoms that the cloth represents are taken away or abused by the govt.

Meanwhile, death, disease, poverty, famine, etc. exist in this world but you care about a damn cloth. Grow up
That piece of “cloth” as you call it means a lot to many people and we are proud of what our country has come from and where it is going. We are the beacon of the free world. You can condemn whatever you like!

It is 100% Private just like Walmart.

Walmart employees are not unionized. Walmart employees do not work under a mutually negotiated CBA. Walmart employees do not make anywhere near the percentage of compensation NFL players do. Walmart employees do not have their jobs televised on TV.

Not the same.

Sports are entertainment activities, and I don't understand why there needs to be a correlation with this particular entertainment activity and patriotism (unless it's an international competition like the World Cup, Olympics, World Baseball Classic, etc where it's a National Team).
Can’t speak for many countries but a lot of Latin American countries play their before local soccer games.

The anthem signifies our great country for it's history. From the Civil War to taking down Hitler. Leave it alone.

If you want to protest, grab a sign and walk the line.

Reactions: orly 1022
Can’t speak for many countries but a lot of Latin American countries play their before local soccer games.

Yep, they do. They also play their state anthems or city anthems.

In some countries (usually dictatorships) they play the anthem before EVERYTHING. In Venezuela, they cut into TV broadcasts (every channel) 3 times a day to play the anthem. In Russia, they play it at every single public assembly. Same with North Korea.

Reactions: er1949
The anthem signifies our great country for it's history. From the Civil War to taking down Hitler. Leave it alone.

If you want to protest, grab a sign and walk the line.
The irony of this is the region where people are most in arms about the protests (the south) are the ones whose ancestors succeeded from our nation and actually disrespected the flag in the civil war. Just a refresher since I’m sure 11th grade American history was a while ago for you.

Reactions: TheHechtLives
The irony of this is the region where people are most in arms about the protests (the south) are the ones whose ancestors succeeded from our nation and actually disrespected the flag in the civil war. Just a refresher since I’m sure 11th grade American history was a while ago for you.
Not the point. There are other ways to protest.

Reactions: HJCane

And they love to fly the Confederate Battle Flag, which is a flag of an act of secession and treason.

I've always said it, if as a country we spent more money on education instead of drones/tanks/bombs, we would be in a much better place.

There are always other ways to protest, that's what has always been said to protesters.

An act of protest, by definition, should make you feel uncomfortable. If not, then it is an ineffective protest.

You make good points, but that's why I wrote IMO. I personally like a patriotic homage at national sporting events, including the NBA,NHL, MLB, and NFL, with the intent of reminding all spectators that we have common ground, despite our team allegiances. It saddens me that it has been used as a political platform from both sides of the isle.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHechtLives
Personally, I don’t care what they do. Someone exercising their free speech doesn’t offend me. I don’t see why every sports franchise isn’t chastised for having concessions open during the anthem. Theyre actually profiting from peoples disrespect. I give credit to the 49ers for putting their money where their mouth is and cutting off sales during the anthem.

It's America. Just because you don't see people protesting that doesn't change how people feel.

You make good points, but that's why I wrote IMO. I personally like a patriotic homage at national sporting events, including the NBA,NHL, MLB, and NFL, with the intent of reminding all spectators that we have common ground, despite our team allegiances. It saddens me that it has been used as a political platform from both sides of the fence.

That's a great point. Agreed, it's sad how a symbol that should unite us is being used to divide us. Like the old saying goes: Divide and conquer!

Reactions: Kgfamu
And they love to fly the Confederate Battle Flag, which is a flag of an act of secession and treason.

I've always said it, if as a country we spent more money on education instead of drones/tanks/bombs, we would be in a much better place.
For both of you we are talking about the North winning and that was the flag so your bull has nothing to do with the discussion. Got any comments for the ones that died in WWII fighting for this great country and it's flag.

The majority of the country that watches football doesn't want to see these overpaid morons kneeling on the sideline. These guys are kneeling for so called persecution by police. I guess you like Kapernicks Pigs socks he wears. Why don't you guys go kneel for all of the officers protecting us being killed by these criminals instead of disrespecting our country and flag.

Maybe you and these players should go to Chicago and kneel there.

Because it's tradition that's why. Kind of like Boys being boys and girls being girls. The more the left tears apart the traditions and norms that has made this country great, warts and all, the more you're going to realize that traditions are very important to societies. History has told us that it's a dangerous road to go down but this time it's different right?

Personally, I don’t care what they do. Someone exercising their free speech doesn’t offend me. I don’t see why every sports franchise isn’t chastised for having concessions open during the anthem. Theyre actually profiting from peoples disrespect. I give credit to the 49ers for putting their money where their mouth is and cutting off sales during the anthem.
Hilarious

Amen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT