ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft

James Jones, GM of the Phoenix Suns is one exception. A local kid, then UM star, played in the NBA for years and now runs a Professional sports franchise. That is IMPRESSIVE! A class act of a man and a great representative of the University of Miami in both athletics and academics..

The NBA draft was outstanding yesterday. Lots of 19 year olds about to make big money. Some terrific talent and deep pool of players in comparison to past years.

We talk about NIL and it’s impact on college football. A bigger trend yesterday was the rise of the NBA’s G league as a source of great new talent. Traditionally, the G League was a place for rehab of veteran players, a chance for undraftable guys and intro of international guys into the US. They play in small towns with smaller crowds. No glamor or glitz.

Now? Two of the top 7 picks last night came from the G League. They are 19 year olds who chose to spend their one mandatory year post-high school as developmental pros rather than college students. Why that choice?

They get paid in the G League! $500k for the top high school guys. They play with NBA rules and 3 point line. The coaches are NBA vets. The competition is very tough cuz everyone wants to go to the League.

I gotta believe that many, many more top high school players will now choose the G League over one year in college. Why not? Makes total sense for the very top players.

The NBA draft was outstanding yesterday. Lots of 19 year olds about to make big money. Some terrific talent and deep pool of players in comparison to past years.

We talk about NIL and it’s impact on college football. A bigger trend yesterday was the rise of the NBA’s G league as a source of great new talent. Traditionally, the G League was a place for rehab of veteran players, a chance for undraftable guys and intro of international guys into the US. They play in small towns with smaller crowds. No glamor or glitz.

Now? Two of the top 7 picks last night came from the G League. They are 19 year olds who chose to spend their one mandatory year post-high school as developmental pros rather than college students. Why that choice?

They get paid in the G League! $500k for the top high school guys. They play with NBA rules and 3 point line. The coaches are NBA vets. The competition is very tough cuz everyone wants to go to the League.

I gotta believe that many, many more top high school players will now choose the G League over one year in college. Why not? Makes total sense for the very top players.
I'm not a fan of professional basketball, but this is a good post...

Reactions: cortez55403
I'm not a fan of professional basketball, but this is a good post...
I don’t closely follow college basketball. But if I did, I would be concerned that the future quality of that sport will be further diluted by the G League. If you’re good enough to be a “one and done” bball player, why not get paid and coached rather than spend one year in college?

I don’t closely follow college basketball. But if I did, I would be concerned that the future quality of that sport will be further diluted by the G League. If you’re good enough to be a “one and done” bball player, why not get paid and coached rather than spend one year in college?
Cortez..yes I agree 100%...in fact the number 1 HS played in the country Jalen Duren, is according to Gary and Matt down to choosing between UM, KY, one other school (forget which one)...AND the G League.

While I obviously hope he selects us, how can he turn his back on the G League for the all the reasons you mentioned.

NBA is doing great. Don't need you to watch. God bless...
Who says they are doing great, you? From a game point of view, it has been run and gun for years with a hand full of teams that play defense. Currently, it comes down to watching the last few minutes of the game where both teams would play D to determine who would win. Not like it was years ago. Also , nowadays, you have players like LaBron James that uses the NBA platform to inject his view of politics on the rest of us. Now that's his right to spout his drivel however I have always felt that you keep politics outside the workplace. Can you comprehend that CD?

Who says they are doing great, you? From a game point of view, it has been run and gun for years with a hand full of teams that play defense. Currently, it comes down to watching the last few minutes of the game where both teams would play D to determine who would win. Not like it was years ago. Also , nowadays, you have players like LaBron James that uses the NBA platform to inject his view of politics on the rest of us. Now that's his right to spout his drivel however I have always felt that you keep politics outside the workplace. Can you comprehend that CD?
I said it....and I didn't stutter. I don't have to comprehend a damn thing for you. You ain't my daddy....and Lebron is a grown ass man who can say anything about politics he feels like regardless of if you like it. He doesn't need you to watch him. He is a billionaire.....with a B.

I said it....and I didn't stutter. I don't have to comprehend a damn thing for you. You ain't my daddy....and Lebron is a grown ass man who can say anything about politics he feels like regardless of if you like it. He doesn't need you to watch him. He is a billionaire.....with a B.
You are truly a sad, sad man

If I was your daddy I wouldn't admit to it! I would tell people that the best part of you ran down my leg!

Reactions: El Cubano
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT