ADVERTISEMENT

NFL’s approval sinking

NFL ratings are down, no doubt (lack of stars, predictable games, CTE, etc). IMHO, it’s a mistake to link that decline to the “kneeling” issue. Why?

Our most explicitly patriotic sport, NASCAR, is way down, much more so than the NFL. Empty stands. Low TV ratings. Aging core audience. Failure to attract millennial to its car culture. Loss of star drivers. Fewer crashes.

For both the NFL and NASCAR, it’s about the product, not patriotism. Got to renew your product offering while retaining loyal fans and building new ones. Kneeling is irrelevant.

Totally no correlation whatsoever. NASCAR "our most patriotic sport"?? Not even close to football. NASCAR is predominantly a southern sport that Bill France expanded by building tracks in other regions. I know literally hundreds of people who go to college and NFL games that have NEVER in their lives attended a Nascar race .. or even watched one on TV. NASCAR?

I know quite a few people - historically strong football fans of both college and NFL - who have simply stopped watching NFL games due to the perceived lack of patriotism and "misdirected nature" of the protests. Blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, all live in the USA under the freedom achieved by soldiers of all races fighting under that flag. That flag and the anthem have nothing to do with any perceived racial injustices. The whole kneeling issue is counterproductive and perceived as a giant slap in the face to the country by those who have fought to provide freedom,

Why not orchestrate efforts for a POSITIVE series of actions? What are some of the biggest issues facing blacks in the US? Black on black crime, black on black murders, 75% of black children being born out of wedlock. Why not start some initiatives directed at black men and women having more respect for black people and others as well. Respect .. is earned .. not given because somebody shows a lack of respect for what the majority of this country holds as symbols of the strong core values of the USA.

I
And we will be glad to take their money via fines. Who says players need to retire before they go broke? They can go broke ass right now if they choose.
Money isn't driving this. If it were, there would not kneel.

This is why I laugh at the “liberals are crybabies” narrative. The idea of kneeling came from a veteran as a way to show respect and also bring attention to their cause.

Since when did Kaepernick serve in the military?

26+ years service (Soldier), DV, and then worked another 5 for the Army after going to school, and I support the players’ “right” to kneel. Dad is also buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Would I kneel? No, but I’m not being discriminated against. Easy for me to say.

They’re kneeling because of police brutality and inequality guys, not because they want to disrespect Veterans, and I agree that Veterans’ opinions on the matter are no more important than any other Americans’. In the case of kneeling during games, the most important opinion is an owner’s opinion because the players work for their team owner. That not correct?

The right to protest is constitutional and I fully support players’ rights to peacefully protest; however, when they are on the job they MUST conform to the rules and direction of their employers; otherwise, they could get fined or worse, fired! In light of that, if the owners say no kneeling during the National Anthem, then there’s no kneeling, or risk the above penalty.

Just my honest opinion on the matter.

The players are more than just employees. They aren't kneeling while they are working. Hell....they can do what they want legally off the clock and get fired if employers dislike it. They can sue too. Our rights are protected don't forget. They can fine or fire or whatever. The players also have several options. Let's not act like they make these owners a lot of money.

Totally no correlation whatsoever. NASCAR "our most patriotic sport"?? Not even close to football. NASCAR is predominantly a southern sport that Bill France expanded by building tracks in other regions. I know literally hundreds of people who go to college and NFL games that have NEVER in their lives attended a Nascar race .. or even watched one on TV. NASCAR?

I know quite a few people - historically strong football fans of both college and NFL - who have simply stopped watching NFL games due to the perceived lack of patriotism and "misdirected nature" of the protests. Blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, all live in the USA under the freedom achieved by soldiers of all races fighting under that flag. That flag and the anthem have nothing to do with any perceived racial injustices. The whole kneeling issue is counterproductive and perceived as a giant slap in the face to the country by those who have fought to provide freedom,

Why not orchestrate efforts for a POSITIVE series of actions? What are some of the biggest issues facing blacks in the US? Black on black crime, black on black murders, 75% of black children being born out of wedlock. Why not start some initiatives directed at black men and women having more respect for black people and others as well. Respect .. is earned .. not given because somebody shows a lack of respect for what the majority of this country holds as symbols of the strong core values of the USA.

Perceived by who as a slap in the face? I’ve heard countless veterans speak out in favor for kneeling. Again, the concept of kneeling came from a veteran.

Also, there are countless examples of NFL athletes giving back and working in the community. Damn near every NFL alum from UM in the last 10 years has some type of football camp, charity, or other community driven event. The majority of those guys are doing something to help.

Perceived by who as a slap in the face? I’ve heard countless veterans speak out in favor for kneeling. Again, the concept of kneeling came from a veteran.

Also, there are countless examples of NFL athletes giving back and working in the community. Damn near every NFL alum from UM in the last 10 years has some type of football camp, charity, or other community driven event. The majority of those guys are doing something to help.
Absolutely!!! These players give back quite a bit for the most part. Hell Chris Long gave his years salary. So this is complete BS that these players don't care or give back to their communities.

We as fans or citizens don't get to pick what is import enough to people they protest. That is a personal decision. If they want to protest by kneeling then that is their right. I have no right to tell them they should worry about something else. If these other issues mentioned like black on black crime were so important to him then he is free to do something about it like the rest of us....lol

It’s silly. Players are disrespecting our anthem/flag because they feel butt hurt over something else. No matter though, I smile every time they do knowing my service to this great nation allows them the freedom to do so despite their ignorance.

Last edited:
Reactions: vivijane and 289fia
One of my problems, is that you’re taking a dispute between party a and b, and punching party c in the eye. The family I know who lost a family member way to young, don’t see it any other way.

What would they be angry about? Give me all the particulars, and let me see where I would go with it. I know how to be very respectful.

It’s silly. Players are disrespecting our anthem/flag because they feel butt hurt over something else. No matter though, I smile every time they do knowing my service to this great nation allows them the freedom to do so despite their ignorance.

They are more than butt hurt my friend. Blacks have been brutalized by police for little or nothing and have been treated unequally.

They got plenty of evidence in their case against inequality. So inbeach of our own little worlds, we should all try harder.

The players are more than just employees. They aren't kneeling while they are working. Hell....they can do what they want legally off the clock and get fired if employers dislike it. They can sue too. Our rights are protected don't forget. They can fine or fire or whatever. The players also have several options. Let's not act like they make these owners a lot of money.

Once they step foot on stadium property, I’d say it’s owner property at that time, and that’s when their workday begins.

Let’s not split hairs on this. Once on property, don’t kneel if that’s what the owner directed.

TRUTH^^^^^^^^^^

Once they step foot on stadium property, I’d say it’s owner property at that time, and that’s when their workday begins.

Let’s not split hairs on this. Once on property, don’t kneel if that’s what the owner directed.
I think you are confusing an employer employee relationship with ownership of people. They have a working relationship. That's it. They are paid to do a job and that has absolutely nothing to do with the job they are paid to do. So, if you step on my property as a home owner, does that mean I get to direct you? No...there is something called civil rights, humanity, and self respect. You don't get to tell me what to do with my own life just because I am on property you own. If I am an employee and you cross the line of strict employer employee related request I can sue. Plain and simple and I can win.

Off topic, but I saw a super interesting article about this. Because the kneeling is taking place in municipal funded stadiums, it may be a first amendment issue bc there’s 1) nothing in the current CBA that mandates standing for the anthem and 2) the fact that the events are taking place in essentially a municipal building, employers cannot enforce rules that affect constitutional rights. Obviously, there’s a lot more to it, but it still is fascinating to how it may play out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT