ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hotel Scarface

That's awesome! I will order this tomorrow.
I love this kinda stuff

Was shot in LA... you mean something it was based on? Link? Thx.

A good documentary along the same lines is 'King Pins' about Alex Decubas who went to Palmetto and was a great wrestler and eventually worked for the Columbian cartel. His HS teammate and cocaptain was Kevin Pederson who wound up with the DEA.
Decubas was eventually put on Americas Most Wanted and taken down some 20 years later by the DEA with the help of Pederson.
Ironically Pederson wound up hiring Decubas when he got out of prison to help him coach at Westminster.
Its one of the ESPN shows....pretty crazy story.

Favorite scene from Scarface, Tony Montana talking on the phone with palm trees and a mountain in the background. How did that happen?

For those of you too young to remember, Scarface was scheduled to be shot entirely in Miami. But after Miami City Commissioner Demitrio Perez raised a local ruckus by complaining the movie was making Cuban Americans look bad, Brian DePalma packed up and moved the shoot to LA. Good job Demitrio !!!!!!

Mutiny Hotel in Coconut Grove during the late 70s/80s
The maintence supervisor during the 80’s was the father of a good friend of mine during high school. His father and another guy were found dead in the Everglades, they were shot in the back. My friends and I wondered what happened, I had an idea though once I found out about who stayed and hung out there.

Last edited:
Mutiny Hotel in Coconut Grove during the late 70s/80s
My dad used to live there after my parents got divorced. That's where he met his second wife (my stepmother). She was a cocktail waitress at the hotel and her best friend was another cocktail waitress who became the restaurant manager named Peggy Iacocca (rip)....former wife of Lee Iacocca. The stories I could tell....wow.

Favorite scene from Scarface, Tony Montana talking on the phone with palm trees and a mountain in the background. How did that happen?

For those of you too young to remember, Scarface was scheduled to be shot entirely in Miami. But after Miami City Commissioner Demitrio Perez raised a local ruckus by complaining the movie was making Cuban Americans look bad, Brian DePalma packed up and moved the shoot to LA. Good job Demitrio !!!!!!
I remember that . As a matter of fact the mansion where Tony Montana gets killed is the same one from Beverly Hills Cop.

Thanks, just ordered it. Have you guys seen Operation Odessa? The documentary about the Russian guy that ran the old Porky's.

Just read half of it....amazing!

If you love all things Miami...the Grove, Tony Montana bravado, Cocaine Cowboys type shit then this book is for you.

Thanks Chewie!

Was shot in LA... you mean something it was based on? Link? Thx.

A portion was shit in Miami. The scene of him them meeting with Columbians in hotel was shot in Miami. Meeting Farnk Lopez afterwards was in Miami. Buying the Porsche 928 was in Miami, scene where they are hanging out at original Fountainebleu was obviously shot in Miami Beach, tent camp was in Miami. When he meets Elvira and ask her to go with him, that mansion is on Key Biscayne in Miami

Reactions: JJCane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT