ADVERTISEMENT

Raul Castro retires

dolcane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2015
Thoughts on the current situation in Cuba?

It’s amazingly sad that such a close neighbor seems to fly under the radar here in the US. Their oppressive ways of governance over their citizens has been going on for 60 years.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone of Cuban heritage, or others who have knowledge of life in Cuba.

He'll have more time to go to baseball games with Obama. Maybe Joe and Hunter will tag along.
I was born and raised there. Seeing Obama at that baseball game was a slap to my face. Will never understand how can you enjoy a game sitting and laughing next to an individual who terrorized and killed so many.

Last edited:

It’s amazingly sad that such a close neighbor seems to fly under the radar here in the US. Their oppressive ways of governance over their citizens has been going on for 60 years.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone of Cuban heritage, or others who have knowledge of life in Cuba.
May he burn in hell with his brother...

I was born and raised there. Seeing Obama at that baseball game was a slap to my face. Will never understand how can you enjoy a game sitting and laughing next to an individual that terrorized and killed so many.

Its not uncommon for leaders of countries to meet with leaders from adversarial nations. Just look at all the Soviet premiers US Presidents met with and more recently Trump's multiple meetings with Kim-Jung On, who is far more repressive than either of the Castros.

Last edited:
Reactions: gdowning70
Its no uncommon for leaders of countries to meet with leaders from adversarial nations. Just look at all the Soviet premiers US Presidents met with and more recently Trump's multiple meetings with Kim-Jung On, who is far more repressive than either of the Castros.
I kinda agree with this. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. That being said, there’s a big difference between going to a baseball game and having a meeting. I wouldn’t be too happy if Trump say went on an all day fishing excursion with putin and posted a pic of the two smiling with their arms around each other holding up their catch for example or a basketball game with little kim where they post a pic of them sharing a pretzel. Just a bad bad look. do what ever it takes though. There are no friends in politics. It’s usually the person you’re closer to that ****s you over the most.

Thoughts on the chances for the Cuban people to shake their tyrannical government?

I was born and raised there. Seeing Obama at that baseball game was a slap to my face. Will never understand how can you enjoy a game sitting and laughing next to an individual who terrorized and killed so many.
My wife and her parents fled Cuba in 1968 when she was 8. I hit the in-law lottery. My Mother-in-Law would cook whatever Cuban dish I wanted whenever I wanted it. The Hatred for the Castro's in the Cuban Community is so palpable that it's almost hard to comprehend for a non-Cuban.

Its not uncommon for leaders of countries to meet with leaders from adversarial nations. Just look at all the Soviet premiers US Presidents met with and more recently Trump's multiple meetings with Kim-Jung On, who is far more repressive than either of the Castros.
Get serious. Yukking it up at a baseball game and meeting with the head of state of a dangerous adversary who is working on getting nuclear weapons are not the same thing.

I was in Cuba about 3 years ago. The people are great. The infrastructure has crumbled. Havana was in bad shape. Their military museum has captured U.S. equipment on the front lawn on display. I questioned it being there with the response being that its a part of their history. I suppose I can understand that. It was annoying to me.

Reactions: grbcane and Raoul2
Get serious. Yukking it up at a baseball game and meeting with the head of state of a dangerous adversary who is working on getting nuclear weapons are not the same thing.

Meeting at recreational events is a standard part of working with adversaries. Look at the Bush/Putin fishing trip in Texas for example. Ultimately, its part of thawing relations between two nations who have been adversaries for decades.

When did you get out?

I am not uneducated Raul. I know about previous political meetings between US presidents and adversaries. You don't need to lecture me on that. The difference is that President Obama made it more than political by being at that game and laughing with Castro where I am sure the subject of conversation was different. He even took the entire family, mother in law included, to enjoy a country where thousands were/ are oppressed for having a different ideology

Last edited:
I am not uneducated Raul. I know about previous political meetings between US presidents and adversaries. You don't need to lecture me on that. The difference is that President Obama made it more than political by being at that game and laughing with Castro where I am sure the subject of conversation was different. He even took the entire family, mother in law included, to enjoy a country where thousands were/ are oppressed for having a different ideology
This.

Reactions: mahb

This is usually what happens when two countries are working to mend their relations. Leaders get together and socialize in public, go for tours of facilities, engage in cultural exchange events etc.

Well with as much as @Raoul2 posts in the lounge, he doesn’t have time to run a country anymore.

Reactions: BreakingCane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT