ADVERTISEMENT

Rest in Power DMX....

I am by talking bout him on a message board. One of my fave’s to the point I read his biography about 10 years ago- what he accomplished as a product of foster homes was amazing. He had this pit bull that he trained to do robberies w him snatching purses - he was crazy - I give him mad props - again all that said he ain’t top 5 - give u big props as well papii u for years contribute nicely to CS

Not top 5, but It's Dark and Hell is Hot was one of the best hip hop albums ever. You could start track 1 and let it ride.

Reactions: PatDunn
X one of da few rappers da streets accredited his song an anthem....dont get know more legendary than dat...top 5 fa RNGs
Naughty By Nature had hip hop anthems. Help me out. Who rounds out your top 5?

He had a country lp coming out that we will never hear. Spent 4 months of his final year in Nashville (Franklworking with one of country’s best!

so sad, everyone said he was a very nice kid

RIP

Top 5 lyricist? Not even close. Top 5 commercial rappers, i guess the numbers support that.

Probably dating myself, but in any given order...

Pac, Big, Nas, Jay, Em, 3000, TI...

Where are putting X?
fa me its Pac then everybody else, but X in my top 5....Nas, Big, NWA, Boosie

Last edited:
All them and the lyrical one KRS1 not listed. Old school Bronxite like me would know Kris was the one with the words.

RIP X

Reactions: papii
fa me its Pac then everybody else, but X in my top 5....Nas, Big, NWA, Boosie
Same on the first part - pac is by far & away the GOAT

But boosie? Bruh, really bruh ? Lolol- ya’ll must be related for u to be posting that

I’m gonna post 20 on ya - these guys are all ahead of Dmx & boosie

pac
Jay
Big
Eminem
Big daddy Kane
Ice cube
rakim
Rozay
Fab
Drake
Weezy
Kendrick
Nas
T i
2 chainz
Meek
the game
Kanye
LL cool J

& I’m not even including groups
OutKast
Nwa
Tribe
Gangstarr
De la
Wu tang
Etc etc etc

pfft

Public Enemy
EB & Rakim
EPMD
Biggie
Plug 1/2/3 (Tribe)
3rd Base
Beastie Boys
KMD
Kane

east side bitchez
I love all these acts but top anything including
3rd Base
Beastie Boys
KMD

is suss. I saw Beasties with Run DMC, Whodini and the person you left off from that era, LL. absolutely love them but they are not top. And 3rd base, sure MF Doom went on to greatness, but two songs? Come man!

As the resident hip hop guru (self appointed of course lol) from the era you posted 85-96 I'd say, in order...

Rakim
Biggie
LL Cool J
Outkast
2Pac
Public Enemy
Gang Starr
Ice Cube
Snoop Dog
Tribe Called Quest

My personal favs would be different, with Mo Dee in there you would go backwards and then I'd include Run DMC, Slick Rick then Beasties over him as early influencers in that order.

Same on the first part - pac is by far & away the GOAT

But boosie? Bruh, really bruh ? Lolol- ya’ll must be related for u to be posting that

I’m gonna post 20 on ya - these guys are all ahead of Dmx & boosie

pac
Jay
Big
Eminem
Big daddy Kane
Ice cube
rakim
Rozay
Fab
Drake
Weezy
Kendrick
Nas
T i
2 chainz
Meek
the game
Kanye
LL cool J

& I’m not even including groups
OutKast
Nwa
Tribe
Gangstarr
De la
Wu tang
Etc etc etc

Good attempt but ahead of X? Ya'll sleeping on X's run. The man's first 5 albums debuted at Number 1 on Billboard 100. Not hip hop, not R&B Billboard Hot 100. NO ONE, Prince, MJ, Maddonna, Brittany, NO ONE has done that.

Those 5 years are unparalleled. We give it to Big but Big had 3 albums while living (including Junior Mafia). Pac ascended AFTER he was shot. If X would have died after the first 5 the disrespect wouldn't be so great, hell his sixth debuted at #2 on Hot 100 and was 1 on R&B.

His illness and arrests took him out of the scene but damn....

The Game?
Meek,
Titty Boy
Ross
Kane
Drake
De La
Tribe
NWA

Ahead of X? ya buggin. I could put a bunch in front that I like to but do a Verzuz line up, gimme they best twenty against his and you'll come to the same conclusion I came to (surprisingly) the catalog Deep AF and he is chronically underated.

And how the hell you got that list up and don't have Snoop, K.Dot, Yasin Bey or Cole?

I'm baffled.

Top 5 lyricist? Not even close. Top 5 commercial rappers, i guess the numbers support that.
Top 5 lyrcist who had commercial success and I'd put him in top 20.

But for a combination of true to the streets and commercial appeal, he's in an elite group.

Not to mention he's pretty damn unique in flow sound and subject matter at the time, the introspection he gave was rare.

Lyricist tho, yeah, that's rarified air and hard to debate because many of them were/are not mainstream commercial.

Its the Eddie Van Halen v. Steven Vai v. Prince as guitarist argument.

Good attempt but ahead of X? Ya'll sleeping on X's run. The man's first 5 albums debuted at Number 1 on Billboard 100. Not hip hop, not R&B Billboard Hot 100. NO ONE, Prince, MJ, Maddonna, Brittany, NO ONE has done that.

Those 5 years are unparalleled. We give it to Big but Big had 3 albums while living (including Junior Mafia). Pac ascended AFTER he was shot. If X would have died after the first 5 the disrespect wouldn't be so great, hell his sixth debuted at #2 on Hot 100 and was 1 on R&B.

His illness and arrests took him out of the scene but damn....

The Game?
Meek,
Titty Boy
Ross
Kane
Drake
De La
Tribe
NWA

Ahead of X? ya buggin. I could put a bunch in front that I like to but do a Verzuz line up, gimme they best twenty against his and you'll come to the same conclusion I came to (surprisingly) the catalog Deep AF and he is chronically underated.

And how the hell you got that list up and don't have Snoop, K.Dot, Yasin Bey or Cole?

I'm baffled.

i'll play along in the cane sport king of hip hop of the 80's & 90's game - i didn't include snoop cuz of too much gary payton last night & was just coming up with it on the quick but he should be there. the chronic & doggy dogg world revolutionized the rap game in early 90's. Not sure if J cole is there yet, but he close. My daughter dragged me to american airlines arena for his concert & while it was sold out i wasn't impressed live.

love love love some DMX, but you saying Pac ascend AFTER he was shot i know you must be talking about when he got hit 5 x's & survived right in NY? not when he got shot in Vegas.... That boy was Jesus on earth well before he left, & he is the GOAT period end of discussion. Pac is Mike Jordan & DMX is Domnique wilkins aka an all time great/ HOF player, but nobody in their right mind thinks of him as better than PAC.

Reactions: ellu
i'll play along in the cane sport king of hip hop of the 80's & 90's game - i didn't include snoop cuz of too much gary payton last night & was just coming up with it on the quick but he should be there. the chronic & doggy dogg world revolutionized the rap game in early 90's. Not sure if J cole is there yet, but he close. My daughter dragged me to american airlines arena for his concert & while it was sold out i wasn't impressed live.

love love love some DMX, but you saying Pac ascend AFTER he was shot i know you must be talking about when he got hit 5 x's & survived right in NY? not when he got shot in Vegas.... That boy was Jesus on earth well before he left, & he is the GOAT period end of discussion. Pac is Mike Jordan & DMX is Domnique wilkins aka an all time great/ HOF player, but nobody in their right mind thinks of him as better than PAC.
Mad respect but you’ll never hear me say Pac was less than X. What I mean is that when an artist catalog is frozen in their prime it’s always what we remember and we project excellence. McCartney isn’t held in the same esteem as Lennon. Marley v Peter Tosh. I luv Otis Redding but if Curtis Mayfield had died..
Pac and Biggies death raised their heights. If LL does after Walking With a Panther or Momma Said Knock You Out, her br the GOAT.

X after the first 5 albums would have been like that, he lived and so now he’s slept one. I always say Lennon is more popular because he didn’t live long enough to make Say Say Say.

if you like classic hip hop peep NeoSoulCypher.com I write for them.

@1st the U then 1st round

Couple of my articles.

@1st the U then 1st round

Couple of my articles.
Great great article on x vs snoop battle-
Big props homie 💪

Reactions: ellu
I love all these acts but top anything including
3rd Base
Beastie Boys
KMD

is suss. I saw Beasties with Run DMC, Whodini and the person you left off from that era, LL. absolutely love them but they are not top. And 3rd base, sure MF Doom went on to greatness, but two songs? Come man!

As the resident hip hop guru (self appointed of course lol) from the era you posted 85-96 I'd say, in order...

Rakim
Biggie
LL Cool J
Outkast
2Pac
Public Enemy
Gang Starr
Ice Cube
Snoop Dog
Tribe Called Quest

My personal favs would be different, with Mo Dee in there you would go backwards and then I'd include Run DMC, Slick Rick then Beasties over him as early influencers in that order.
Surprise surprise that you take a dump on the white guys

none of those acts will ever do for rap music what the beasties did for rap, rock and punk....

I threw out 3rd Bass to out your sorry racist ass

I see it worked...

Surprise surprise that you take a dump on the white guys

none of those acts will ever do for rap music what the beasties did for rap, rock and punk....

I threw out 3rd Bass to out your sorry racist ass

I see it worked...
Seriously? You took me leaving off Beasties as racist, despite me saying I love them and citing to a show I went to at the inception of hip hop? I had no idea you were that weak dude. Can’t remember ever having an issue with you? Are you ragin cagin or some other bigot who can’t stand to have your racism demonstrated so you cry tears of racist?

News flash, I didn’t include Whodini, Run DMC nor Treacherous Three. Didn’t include Slick Rick, MC Hammer nor Stetsasonic.

I put Rick Ruben on the pantheon of producers. 3rd Bass had pretty anti white lyrics (a racist would embrace the lyrics of gas face).

What’s more racist to assume that a person like me who is a long term fan of Anthrax, Metallica and went to school as a kid wearing elementary Molly Hatchet tshirts; staying up during Hurricane David to watch Kiss on the Jerry Lewis telethon, a guy raised on Sabbath, Dokken and AC DC, middle school moving to Foghat,Boston, Maiden and Rush, high school Crue, GNR, and Slayer, college Bau Haus, NIN Metallica.

Sure I’m a music fan so of course I listened to Queen, Aerosmith from classic (you salty Unc?) to post DMC reboot (dude, your reaction is kinda like a lady). J Geils to Men at Work.

A person who lists his favorite genres as Hip Hop Neo Soul and Alt Rock.

I’ve been to 4 Marilyn Manson, 3 NIN, 2 Pearl Jam, 2 Soundgarden (including back in the day at the Button South), 5 STP, 2 Audioslave shows just off the top of the head. We can debate where Corey Glover rates among rock vocalist but you might get triggered...

if I were exiled to a deserted island and could only take 4 artist music to a deserted island Fiona Apple (mega fan) would be my second choice.

I’ve listed Ten and Licensed to Ill as perfect albums when asked.

Do be such a little bitch it’s a music conv
criticize the choice but crying fake rake racism is cuntish.

you picked 3rd Bass, their most famous song was racist AF, why do you support racist? Oh wait...

Seriously? You took me leaving off Beasties as racist, despite me saying I love them and citing to a show I went to at the inception of hip hop? I had no idea you were that weak dude. Can’t remember ever having an issue with you? Are you ragin cagin or some other bigot who can’t stand to have your racism demonstrated so you cry tears of racist?

News flash, I didn’t include Whodini, Run DMC nor Treacherous Three. Didn’t include Slick Rick, MC Hammer nor Stetsasonic.

I put Rick Ruben on the pantheon of producers. 3rd Bass had pretty anti white lyrics (a racist would embrace the lyrics of gas face).

What’s more racist to assume that a person like me who is a long term fan of Anthrax, Metallica and went to school as a kid wearing elementary Molly Hatchet tshirts; staying up during Hurricane David to watch Kiss on the Jerry Lewis telethon, a guy raised on Sabbath, Dokken and AC DC, middle school moving to Foghat,Boston, Maiden and Rush, high school Crue, GNR, and Slayer, college Bau Haus, NIN Metallica.

Sure I’m a music fan so of course I listened to Queen, Aerosmith from classic (you salty Unc?) to post DMC reboot (dude, your reaction is kinda like a lady). J Geils to Men at Work.

A person who lists his favorite genres as Hip Hop Neo Soul and Alt Rock.

I’ve been to 4 Marilyn Manson, 3 NIN, 2 Pearl Jam, 2 Soundgarden (including back in the day at the Button South), 5 STP, 2 Audioslave shows just off the top of the head. We can debate where Corey Glover rates among rock vocalist but you might get triggered...

if I were exiled to a deserted island and could only take 4 artist music to a deserted island Fiona Apple (mega fan) would be my second choice.

I’ve listed Ten and Licensed to Ill as perfect albums when asked.

Do be such a little bitch it’s a music conv
criticize the choice but crying fake rake racism is cuntish.

you picked 3rd Bass, their most famous song was racist AF, why do you support racist? Oh wait...
You left off Whodini, stopped reading there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT