ADVERTISEMENT

Some observations on the election

cortez55403

SuperCane
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2004
Trying now to take a step back and look at what happened and what might happen going forward In the next several years. Full disclosure: I voted for Biden and live in Cali, classifying myself as a moderate Democrat.

* the rural vs urban divide is amazingly strong. Trump killed it in rural areas and got killed in the cities. This divide defines our current “cultural wars” across the country.

* White people in rural areas now constitute the backbone of the Republican Party. That is amazing as I so clearly recall Republicans formerly dominating the suburbs and college educated business people. Trump’s populism truly energized his base. They came out in huge numbers.

* Dems also voted in huge numbers energized by hatred of Trump rather than love of Biden. Biden voters voted early while Trump voters voted on Election Day. Early voters were counted early in some states (Ohio and Florida) and counted late in other states (Pennsylvania, Georgia). The crazy diversity on how are states and counties count votes is astounding. Who the hell is counting votes in Nevada and Arizona? Nutty.

* If I’m a Republican, I’m happy that the majority in the Senate was maintained and the Democratic majority in the House was reduced. If I’m a Democrat, I’m relieved that it looks like Trump will vacate the Oval Office.

* The ultra leftists did not prevail. In California where statewide propositions dominate the ballot, moderation won and union-backed initiatives were defeated. Ex. Uber/Lyft drivers will remain independent contractors, not employees. Rent control expansion was rejected. The return of Affirmative Action in college admissions was rejected. Higher taxes for commercial properties was rejected. I was very relieved.

* How can Republicans continue to motivate its rural/populist base as Trump leaves office? Will DJT continue to agitate and perhaps run again? The White rural population continues to shrink. Can Republicans convert more minorities, particularly Hispanics, to become loyal Republicans? Trump’s team did a better job of understanding that the Hispanic population is itself highly diverse. Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Central Americans, Venezuelans, etc etc are not the same.

* Democrats should rejoice that the push from the West Coast is working. Look at the map. Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and now Arizona have turned Blue. When Texas turns Blue, it will be hard to defeat a Dem for President. Add in Georgia and North Carolina...look out.

* Biden was saved in the Midwest (Michigan and Wisconsin), an area neglected by Hillary.

* The most ignored voters? Asians. They constitute 15% of Cali voters and are heavily Dem, so far. Asian populations are growing in many, many states. If I was a Republican official, I’d create a strategy to move Asians to the Republican camp. Like Hispanics, they are a very diverse group ranging from Vietnamese workers in nail salons to PhD’s working in high tech industries. Don’t ignore them,

* Wall Street has loved that the government will be split between a Dem President and a Republican Senate. Nothing radical is gonna happen.

I’ve enjoyed the back and forth discussions of politics in the Lounge. Passionate stuff. May 2021 be a better year than this one!

Last edited:
The west coast push is not a push, it's a cancer that's spreading. A push would indicate surrounding areas are accepting ideology and changing. What's really happening is the locust in California have destroyed that state and are now fleeing and looking for a new place to destroy. I know this for a fact in Boise. Californians are arriving in droves and nobody wants them there.

Reactions: TampaBayCane
Trying now to take a step back and look at what happened and what might happen going forward In the next several years. Full disclosure: I voted for Biden and live in Cali, classifying myself as a moderate Democrat.

* the rural vs urban divide is amazingly strong. Trump killed it in rural areas and got killed in the cities. This divide defines our current “cultural wars” across the country.

* White people in rural areas now constitute the backbone of the Republican Party. That is amazing as I so clearly recall Republicans formerly dominating the suburbs and college educated business people. Trump’s populism truly energized his base. They came out in huge numbers.

* Dems also voted in huge numbers energized by hatred of Trump rather than love of Biden. Biden voters voted early while Trump voters voted on Election Day. Early voters were counted early in some states (Ohio and Florida) and counted late in other states (Pennsylvania, Georgia). The crazy diversity on how are states and counties count votes is astounding. Who the hell is counting votes in Nevada and Arizona? Nutty.

* If I’m a Republican, I’m happy that the majority in the Senate was maintained and the Democratic majority in the House was reduced. If I’m a Democrat, I’m relieved that it looks like Trump will vacate the Oval Office.

* The ultra leftists did not prevail. In California where statewide propositions dominate the ballot, moderation won and union-backed initiatives were defeated. Ex. Uber/Lyft drivers will remain independent contractors, not employees. Rent control expansion was rejected. The return of Affirmative Action in college admissions was rejected. Higher taxes for commercial properties was rejected. I was very relieved.

* How can Republicans continue to motivate its rural/populist base as Trump leaves office? Will DJT continue to agitate and perhaps run again? The White rural population continues to shrink. Can Republicans convert more minorities, particularly Hispanics, to become loyal Republicans? Trump’s team did a better job of understanding that the Hispanic population is itself highly diverse. Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Central Americans, Venezuelans, etc etc are not the same.

* Democrats should rejoice that the push from the West Coast is working. Look at the map. Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and now Arizona have turned Blue. When Texas turns Blue, it will be hard to defeat a Dem for President. Add in Georgia and North Carolina...look out.

* Biden was saved in the Midwest (Michigan and Wisconsin), an area neglected by Hillary.

* The most ignored voters? Asians. They constitute 15% of Cali voters and are heavily Dem, so far. Asian populations are growing in many, many states. If I was a Republican official, I’d create a strategy to move Asians to the Republican camp. Like Hispanics, they are a very diverse group ranging from Vietnamese workers in nail salons to PhD’s working in high tech industries. Don’t ignore them,

* Wall Street has loved that the government will be split between a Dem President and a Republican Senate. Nothing radical is gonna happen.

I’ve enjoyed the back and forth discussions of politics in the Lounge. Passionate stuff. May 2021 be a better year than this one!
In my opinion your assessment is quite good. I do take exception with your comment regarding Wall Street. I believe if the Democrats stay true to their word of increasing the Capital Gains Tax from 23.8% to 44% , I don't see them happy about that.
Your comments as to why Hillary lost needs to include the Bengazi debacle which was fresh on everyones minds at that time as well as the sale of the Uranium to the Russians which was very objectionable. Of course, just being a Clinton adds extra baggage.
But overall, good points.

The west coast push is not a push, it's a cancer that's spreading. A push would indicate surrounding areas are accepting ideology and changing. What's really happening is the locust in California have destroyed that state and are now fleeing and looking for a new place to destroy. I know this for a fact in Boise. Californians are arriving in droves and nobody wants them there.

You can easily stop Californians from moving to your town. Just don’t sell your house to them. Californians migrate in search of lower taxes and cheaper real estate. This will accelerate as working from home reduces their need to live close to California corporate locations.

But, they will come with beaucoup $ earned when they sell their California homes. My best buddy moved from the SF Bay Area to Bend, Oregon buying a nice home for cash at a price < 50% of its California equivalent. A current neighbor of mine is moving to the Phoenix area. Again, his larger new house costs 1/3 of the house he’s selling here. He does have to buy a second home somewhere to escape the summer heat in Phoenix.

Just resist the $, Mungo, and your community will be fine. But, I‘m betting that your neighbors who want to sell their homes will not resist the California cash. That’s the way the world works.

Last edited:
In my opinion your assessment is quite good. I do take exception with your comment regarding Wall Street. I believe if the Democrats stay true to their word of increasing the Capital Gains Tax from 23.8% to 44% , I don't see them happy about that.
Your comments as to why Hillary lost needs to include the Bengazi debacle which was fresh on everyones minds at that time as well as the sale of the Uranium to the Russians which was very objectionable. Of course, just being a Clinton adds extra baggage.
But overall, good points.

Doesn’t that higher capital gains rate proposed by Joe only kick in for investors who have a particularly high rates of capital gains each year? Also, wouldn’t that change require Senate approval? Mitch will fight it, LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT