ADVERTISEMENT

The Harry Plan for school safety ( that's me)

HJCane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2007
Pains me to write this really but this is the world we find ourselves in and we have been in it for far too long. This is only schools and I think it is just common sense approach.
I'll start by saing that every school district in this country is sitting on tons of money due to Covid Relief. I have written posts on the wasteful spending because schools didn't even know what to do with all this money,
1) Every school depending on size and architecture ( high schools usually larger than elementary or middle schools) have a DEDICATED entry point 1 or 2 entrances.
2) ALL other doors are EXIT only
3) These doors are guarded in a way that doesn't alarm little children but a presence is needed
4) TECHNOLOGY is utilized on every door for entry or exit
5) Once in the school a secondary barrier must be built that is technology protected
6) NO ONE can just enter and find their way to the office to get a pass!
7) Students must use and be a part of access technology at older grades especially
8) Guidance counselors MUST hold regularly scheduled meetings with teachers and staff to discuss the students in that Teachers class ( Home room we called it when I was in Highschool) identifying which students seem troubled, are struggling, maybe having difficulties at home etc.... Guidance dept should then schedule meetings to talk with these students along with any other they feel need someone to talk to.
9) Police need to have a presence in our schools. When I attended North Miami Beach class of 79 we had a retired / tough retired NYC cop. He wore a jacket and slacks and carried a gun. He had an office near the gym / auditorium and he was a helluva nice older guy. But you did NOT cross him. !
10) Kids getting in constant trouble MUST be identified. No we don't want to shame them but we do want to try and help them but they MUST be known by authorities in a privacy protected manner.
11) It;s not the kid with weed doing these shootings it's the kid who is isolating, the kid with no friends, the kid who is downtrodden.

Now you might be asking about the technology I speak of. As I've told you I am the President of the Board of my condo on the beach. This is what condos and buildings use throughout America.
The technology is there for security, access , notifications of doors ajar, all sorts of technology.
As for the Police we all learned during covid that many of us can do our jobs remotely. A rotation of police at schools doing their ordinary paperwork etc. can be done. Remember you only have to protect schools / children from 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM and into the night when they have after school activities.

It HAS TO BE AS HARD to enter a school and stroll around as it is to get to your gate to catch your flight.

Pains me to write this really but this is the world we find ourselves in and we have been in it for far too long. This is only schools and I think it is just common sense approach.
I'll start by saing that every school district in this country is sitting on tons of money due to Covid Relief. I have written posts on the wasteful spending because schools didn't even know what to do with all this money,
1) Every school depending on size and architecture ( high schools usually larger than elementary or middle schools) have a DEDICATED entry point 1 or 2 entrances.
2) ALL other doors are EXIT only
3) These doors are guarded in a way that doesn't alarm little children but a presence is needed
4) TECHNOLOGY is utilized on every door for entry or exit
5) Once in the school a secondary barrier must be built that is technology protected
6) NO ONE can just enter and find their way to the office to get a pass!
7) Students must use and be a part of access technology at older grades especially
8) Guidance counselors MUST hold regularly scheduled meetings with teachers and staff to discuss the students in that Teachers class ( Home room we called it when I was in Highschool) identifying which students seem troubled, are struggling, maybe having difficulties at home etc.... Guidance dept should then schedule meetings to talk with these students along with any other they feel need someone to talk to.
9) Police need to have a presence in our schools. When I attended North Miami Beach class of 79 we had a retired / tough retired NYC cop. He wore a jacket and slacks and carried a gun. He had an office near the gym / auditorium and he was a helluva nice older guy. But you did NOT cross him. !
10) Kids getting in constant trouble MUST be identified. No we don't want to shame them but we do want to try and help them but they MUST be known by authorities in a privacy protected manner.
11) It;s not the kid with weed doing these shootings it's the kid who is isolating, the kid with no friends, the kid who is downtrodden.

Now you might be asking about the technology I speak of. As I've told you I am the President of the Board of my condo on the beach. This is what condos and buildings use throughout America.
The technology is there for security, access , notifications of doors ajar, all sorts of technology.
As for the Police we all learned during covid that many of us can do our jobs remotely. A rotation of police at schools doing their ordinary paperwork etc. can be done. Remember you only have to protect schools / children from 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM and into the night when they have after school activities.

It HAS TO BE AS HARD to enter a school and stroll around as it is to get to your gate to catch your flight.
HJ,
Your plan is far superior to anything that I have heard from Biden, McConnell, Shumer, Pelosi or McCarthy. DC is only producing its typical hot air blame game. And heaven forbid that we immediately use existing unused dollars from the Covid bill, CRT training, transgender studies or any other garbage edcational funding to protect the lives of students and teachers.

Reactions: grbcane and majus12
HJ,
Your plan is far superior to anything that I have heard from Biden, McConnell, Shumer, Pelosi or McCarthy. DC is only producing its typical hot air blame game. And heaven forbid that we immediately use existing unused dollars from the Covid bill, CRT training, transgender studies or any other garbage edcational funding to protect the lives of students and teachers.
I think applying COMMON SENSE to problems is SORELY lacking in todays society and ESPECIALLY in Government. They always go for the low hanging rotten fruit.

The technology today for locking doors, unloclking, entering, exiting, technology readers of hand and fingerprints, Iris retina scanners, ALL SORTS OF WAYS today to secure something. Hell you can control your whole damn house from your phone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT