ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Florida's COVID-19 Response Should be the Nation's Model

Joer

SuperCane
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2002
Crescent Beach, FL
www.jmrubinoconsulting.com
CNN has created an excellent chart that brings great perspective to COVID-19's effects state by state. The chart provides not just the totals, but both infections & deaths per 100k of population. Florida's results are stunning. Despite being
1) the 3rd most populous state as well as
2) the 3rd largest in terms of elderly population, & having,
3) BY FAR, NOT EVEN CLOSE, the highest % of seniors among the most populated States,

FLA is only 32nd in terms of infections & 26th in terms of deaths when measured per capita.

This is astonishing! Some critics have called this luck. I say bullshit. We simply have better legislators in Florida, led by Governor Ron DeSantis, who governed far differently than Mr. Cuomo did in New York. While Cuomo ruled that no one could be denied re-admission or admission to a Nursing Home solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19, DeSantis did the opposite, protecting not only the vulnerable nursing home residents, but nursing home staff. He correctly isolated the most at risk Floridians, & prevented the elderly citizen carnage that happened in New York & other states. DeSantis received harsh criticism for allowing some counties to be treated differently than others, but it worked & is still working. And bravo to our Florida Mayors and County Officials as well. Your collective tactics have worked. All media criticisms now fall on deaf ears as the results speak for themselves. Unlike other states, our local & state officials not only cooperated fully, but praised & supported each other. Very different from states like PA, TX, Wisconsin, Illinois, & others. We had legislative unity here in Florida, and there was ZERO partisanship. Florida's response should be the model for the entire nation.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

CNN has created an excellent chart that brings great perspective to COVID-19's effects state by state. The chart provides not just the totals, but both infections & deaths per 100k of population. Florida's results are stunning. Despite being
3) BY FAR, NOT EVEN CLOSE, the highest % of seniors among the most populated States,

FLA is only 32nd in terms of infections & 26th in terms of deaths when measured per capita.

This is astonishing! Some critics have called this luck. I say bullshit. We simply have better legislators in Florida, led by Governor Ron DeSantis, who governed far differently than Mr. Cuomo did in New York. While Cuomo ruled that no one could be denied re-admission or admission to a Nursing Home solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19, DeSantis did the opposite, protecting not only the vulnerable nursing home residents, but nursing home staff. He correctly isolated the most at risk Floridians, & prevented the elderly citizen carnage that happened in New York & other states. DeSantis received harsh criticism for allowing some counties to be treated differently than others, but it worked & is still working. And bravo to our Florida Mayors and County Officials as well. Your collective tactics have worked. All media criticisms now fall on deaf ears as the results speak for themselves. Unlike other states, our local & state officials not only cooperated fully, but praised & supported each other. Very different from states like PA, TX, Wisconsin, Illinois, & others. We had legislative unity here in Florida, and there was ZERO partisanship. Florida's response should be the model for the entire nation.

I posted in a previous thread that my Mom in law had to be placed in a home in Hollywood Fl. back in March. Two hours after they admitted her, they found two residents that tested positive. They immediately transferred those two to a hospital and no more cases have been found at the home she is at. What a stark contrast to the stupid decisions that Cuomo and NY made.

Your conclusions are off base. All this shows is that heat/humidity are major factors in the transmission of the disease. Once summer hits up north expect similar trends.

Florida’s numbers can’t be compared to other states because we are not counting likely cases like almost every other state. Whether you agree or not with the method of counting, it makes the data useless when trying to compare to other states.

it’s akin to comparing scoring in a normal basketball game to a pick up game where you’re counting by 1s & 2s instead of 2s & 3s.

Reactions: zackbear

I think DeSantis has done an excellent job..

Calm, rational, data-driven to a REASONABLE level...has GRAVITAS

Respected, seemingly APPROACHABLE..

Not a LAB RAT or a PURE POLITICO that can't see the WHOLE picture...

Guy has his sh-+ together, and it was NEVER too BIG for him...

You see what people are TRULY capable of when the sh-+ hits the FAN...

DeSantis...es un GRAN CHINGON...:cool:

With all this happy talk about Desantis doing a great job, he still lags behind many governors in terms of job performance during this pandemic. Governors from California, Ohio and NY ranked much higher than Desantis.

Also, why is the OP relying on MSM to prove his point of how great Desantis is? Last I heard he thought CNN was fake news. WTF!

Reactions: Raoul2 and zackbear
I would add to your "Despite being..." list --

4) a state to intake 2 cruise ships with infected passengers.
5) a state with more international travel than most.
6) we hosted the Super Bowl in Feb
7) we had spring break in March
8) we got overrun with refuges from infested NY
9) we preserved more of our liberty longer w/o a statewide shutdown until April
10) we started getting our liberty back sooner with a beach reopening in April

Everybody said we would be the next NY. We just responded better.

With all this happy talk about Desantis doing a great job, he still lags behind many governors in terms of job performance during this pandemic. Governors from California, Ohio and NY ranked much higher than Desantis.

Also, why is the OP relying on MSM to prove his point of how great Desantis is? Last I heard he thought CNN was fake news. WTF!
why the **** would Cuomo be getting higher job performance ratings when NY is the epicenter in the US?

i could give 2 shits about some dumb polls.

heat and humidity only kills the virus outdoors. inside it is meaningless. last i checked people aren't getting infected in outdoor spaces.

Ron hasn’t been perfect he made some early mistakes but even I, a lifelong Liberal have to give our Governor some props..I am still alive and still healthy....I give the Governor all the credit for that...

Reactions: edtuna
Ron hasn’t been perfect he made some early mistakes but even I, a lifelong Liberal have to give our Governor some props..I am still alive and still healthy....I give the Governor all the credit for that...
No one alive can be perfect with something where the rules change daily. The world's best scientists come up with a flu vaccine every year and even they are wrong at times.

why the **** would Cuomo be getting higher job performance ratings when NY is the epicenter in the US?

heat and humidity only kills the virus outdoors. inside it is meaningless. last i checked people aren't getting infected in outdoor spaces.
Because the liberal media protects their own with subjective comparisons.

Did you even read my post? I have no clue why you're bringing up indoor and outdoor infections.

I'm happy Dade, Broward and Palm Beach MAYORS didn't listen to the Gov. WE closed early. He's reaping the benefits of what they did.

which is exactly what other governors should be doing. Let the counties that need to close down close down. Every place gets hit differently, can’t treat them the same.

Because the liberal media protects their own with subjective comparisons.
look everybody this shouldint be about the liberal or who is to the left or who is to the right or who is republican or who is democrat if we would have all been on the same page together as a team to fight this thing again together we could have gotten better results but as usual always fighting with each other blaming one and another for things and especially trump with his mind blowing ego of his thinks nothing can ever happen to him under his rule and then blame everyone else but himself for the crap that has happened to our country and you all remember what he said oh its not coming here i will be playing golf in boca while everyone told hm from the beginning that we needed to do something early on so its on his back that this has happened and stop blaming democrats for bitching about what is going on now even the scientist has been fighting with him and even went to congress to talk about it because he was lying about everything and that from a prestiged doctor of medicine again is all about himself everybody weather you like it or not and again it doesint matter if you are on one side or the other he fckd up and everybody knows that but wants to blame everyone else but himself thats it done ad over you decide.

,Cuomo Did a better job of whining, passing the buck and putting his mug on TV rather than doing the right thing. It was everybody’s fault but his. He is a very typical politician. I watched all of his Press conferences and thought he was doing the right things in a tough position but then after a while I realized Hr totally screwed it up and was blaming everyone but himself. I want, I need, I deserve, we did nothing but bail us out became his mantra. I will make a name for myself and will one day be president. That is what I got out of Cuomo.

look everybody this shouldint be about the liberal or who is to the left or who is to the right or who is republican or who is democrat if we would have all been on the same page together as a team to fight this thing again together we could have gotten better results but as usual always fighting with each other blaming one and another for things and especially trump with his mind blowing ego of his thinks nothing can ever happen to him under his rule and then blame everyone else but himself for the crap that has happened to our country and you all remember what he said oh its not coming here i will be playing golf in boca while everyone told hm from the beginning that we needed to do something early on so its on his back that this has happened and stop blaming democrats for bitching about what is going on now even the scientist has been fighting with him and even went to congress to talk about it because he was lying about everything and that from a prestiged doctor of medicine again is all about himself everybody weather you like it or not and again it doesint matter if you are on one side or the other he fckd up and everybody knows that but wants to blame everyone else but himself thats it done ad over you decide.
You see, this is it... “could have better results?” You seem to be reading certain Fakenews. As the Administration has said, one death is unacceptable, but not realistic. They were initially estimating up to 2.5M deaths in the US. Based on the actions and mitigation, I’d say compared to that original number we have done pretty well so far, which we are at only 3% of that number.

You seem to have a bias on what happened vs. the facts. The reality is the Admin called a National Health Emergency and shut down travel from China 6-7 weeks before the WHO declared coronavirus a Pandemic. Experts and scientists thought the admin’s actions were premature and even through mid February Fauci was saying there was a low chance this virus would impact the US. I challenge you to look at the facts vs. what certain media outlets are portraying it. Sure, we can all Monday morning QB these actions and say how we can do better, but no credible expert told the admin to shut the country down in mid/late January.

This was just one sentence?!?!?!?

I agree De Santis has done a very good job. To be fair, Cuomo was faced with a much tougher task because of the virus' huge spread throughout New York City and Westchester by March 9 or 10, when the country finally woke up and admitted we have a problem.

To me the failing has been at the federal level. From January 23 or so to early March we did basically nothing, other than to prohibit most travel to and from China. However, since the virus was already here, and continued to come in from other countries, that was a good idea, but rather irrelevant. (Not that I think the virus could have been kept out forever anyway.) Moreover, there was and still is no effective federal plan to fight this thing, notwithstanding the warnings dating back to January, and the prior close calls a few years back with bird flu, zika and ebola.

The rest of the world has fought this pandemic through its central government. In our country the federal government has played a secondary role in many respects. Analogies have been made to fighting a war; imagine if WW II had been left to the 50 states to figure out. This was and remains a national crisis, even if some states thus far (because this thing sadly is far from disappearing) have been hit much harder than others. I believe it would have been better faced and will be better faced going forward by a more active role by the federal government, domestically and globally.

By the way, the 1.4 mm cases and 90,000 dead in this country through today will just continue to mount over the coming months, even if at times at a slower pace. I am afraid by Labor Day both of these numbers will at least have doubled, and still be growing. This will have an enormous, scary dampening effect on the recovery of our economy, as many people stay more reluctant to resume "normal" life, and consumer spending comparatively stays low. Since onsumer spending is 70% of our GDP, that is a huge problem. All of this means a long, slow, painful recovery that could make the 2008 financial crisis look like a cakewalk.

Reactions: Raoul2 and zackbear
None of this is because we have great state legislators and a great governor. They simply don’t exist anywhere anymore. Not at the state or federal level or in either party.

Everyone told him from the beginning? Fauci was saying in the middle of Feb not to worry and to go ahead and travel and go on cruises. The Director General of the WHO was still downplaying the severity of COVID at his March 3 meeting with the press and on March 2 we had just over 100 cases in the US. How much earlier exactly was Trump supposed to more about this? You don't want to blame Dems but yet Cuomo totally screwed New York over by his policies, including forcing nursing homes to admit infected patients which resulted in mass deaths in those homes.

Last edited:
I think is very hard for some people to see a Republican Governor praising Democrat Mayors, & Democrat Mayors praising a Republican Governor. Florida is a state where everyone worked together harmoniously, had great results due to that harmony, & some people have a hard time acknowledging that fact. Non-partisan cooperation is a GOOD THING & what states should endeavor to do. Naysayers want to attribute Florida's results to luck, the hot weather, or bogus statistical reporting. As often happens in life, when the truth is difficult to admit, there is a tendency to seek another explanation.

You see, this is it... “could have better results?” You seem to be reading certain Fakenews. As the Administration has said, one death is unacceptable, but not realistic. They were initially estimating up to 2.5M deaths in the US. Based on the actions and mitigation, I’d say compared to that original number we have done pretty well so far, which we are at only 3% of that number.

You seem to have a bias on what happened vs. the facts. The reality is the Admin called a National Health Emergency and shut down travel from China 6-7 weeks before the WHO declared coronavirus a Pandemic. Experts and scientists thought the admin’s actions were premature and even through mid February Fauci was saying there was a low chance this virus would impact the US. I challenge you to look at the facts vs. what certain media outlets are portraying it. Sure, we can all Monday morning QB these actions and say how we can do better, but no credible expert told the admin to shut the country down in mid/late January.
Liberals do not like facts !!!!!

I agree De Santis has done a very good job. To be fair, Cuomo was faced with a much tougher task because of the virus' huge spread throughout New York City and Westchester by March 9 or 10, when the country finally woke up and admitted we have a problem.

To me the failing has been at the federal level. From January 23 or so to early March we did basically nothing, other than to prohibit most travel to and from China. However, since the virus was already here, and continued to come in from other countries, that was a good idea, but rather irrelevant. (Not that I think the virus could have been kept out forever anyway.) Moreover, there was and still is no effective federal plan to fight this thing, notwithstanding the warnings dating back to January, and the prior close calls a few years back with bird flu, zika and ebola.

The rest of the world has fought this pandemic through its central government. In our country the federal government has played a secondary role in many respects. Analogies have been made to fighting a war; imagine if WW II had been left to the 50 states to figure out. This was and remains a national crisis, even if some states thus far (because this thing sadly is far from disappearing) have been hit much harder than others. I believe it would have been better faced and will be better faced going forward by a more active role by the federal government, domestically and globally.

By the way, the 1.4 mm cases and 90,000 dead in this country through today will just continue to mount over the coming months, even if at times at a slower pace. I am afraid by Labor Day both of these numbers will at least have doubled, and still be growing. This will have an enormous, scary dampening effect on the recovery of our economy, as many people stay more reluctant to resume "normal" life, and consumer spending comparatively stays low. Since onsumer spending is 70% of our GDP, that is a huge problem. All of this means a long, slow, painful recovery that could make the 2008 financial crisis look like a cakewalk.
I suggest you read our constitution and take a civics class. You do realize we are a republic of states who govern themselves, not a centralized government running all of the states? I also disagree that the Feds did nothing from Mid Jan to mid March. The facts say otherwise.

loo i understand what you are saying in youre message but trump new about this way before that he knew back in late december when the first one broke out in china as far as its spreading and yes no one new it would get this bad but again he should have taken pre steps either way to guard the states from anyone from china getting any travel to anywhere in the states thats exactly how it happened when traveling to italy thats when it started the spread and then people coming home from there by plane to washington started the spread in the states all i am saying is he could have done much better job and i dont want to here about the facts vs fiction bs you are trying to say you know exactly what i am talking about he was the one that said oh its not coming here and what did it do it came here and then when it was at 15 what did he say oh it will be gone down to 0 and what happened again it spread even worse and nothing had been done to get things to the states that needed it before hand so maybe you need to do your math. oh whats the first he says oh its obamas fault this happened lol are you serous blame everyone else but me boo hoo trump what a crock of crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT