ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about moving to miami

kilbourne1972

SuperCane
Oct 25, 2014
Guys, I was thinking about moving to miami where's a nice place to live in the area I'm just a blue collar worker.......I'm a machinst by trade but would b willing to work any decent wage.....thanks for any help..........

Cost of living and particularly housing is outrageous in Dade.
Not sure what your budget is but you will be hard pressed to find a house less than $400k in South Dade.

Guys, I was thinking about moving to miami where's a nice place to live in the area I'm just a blue collar worker.......I'm a machinst by trade but would b willing to work any decent wage.....thanks for any help..........
Don’t do it man. I grew up and lived my whole life in miami until I moved 4 years ago. It’s changed so much and for the worse.

If you are a blue collar guy your dollar won’t go far. Traffic is abysmal. Like someone said above you better speak Spanish . Women are all crazy. South beach has turned ghetto and drinks at nice bars and clubs are $15-$20 each. People are assholes. Most businesses are dirty. The only good thing is that there’s no rules at strip clubs lol.

Trust me ...the best thing I ever did was leave. Look at Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, even Palm Beach near downtown.

Reactions: CFSteve
I lived in Coral Gables about 6 blocks East of the UM campus for 27 years. Neighbors sold their original 1955 vintage ranch (1700 SFT) for $750,000 in 2012 .. as a tear down ... and the buyer replaced it with a 6000 SFT two story home. Housing costs are through the roof in Miami. Very few police and firemen live IN the city. People buy in West Broward .. Miramar or way out West next to Krome in Kendall. And it's still expensive. A machinist .. maybe in the Orlando area. A lot more housing options.

Central Florida, lots of jobs

I lived in South Florida for over 50 years The Redland - moved a year ago to east Jacksonville a 1/2 mile from the water . Could not be happier . I will miss going to Canes games and Fins ones every now and then . I will take the trade off. Great eating , shopping , beach and people much much nicer. Insurance 1/2 the price home and car , property taxes still low compared to Dade. 4or 5 colleges in town so still lots of younger kids. Weather great and this is a damn long state with Miami on the bottom . I now can be in Ga in 30 minutes St. Simons Island in an hour , Savannah in 2 hours and Charleston in 4 Job market is great in Jacksonville . But don’t go west side or north too much crime .

Another comment on the super high cost of living in Miami / Made county. I lived about 6 blocks from the UM campus for 22 years. Reached the point .. due to hurricane risk .. that my HOMEOWNERS Insurance was $7,500 a year. Moved to Central Florida and built a home on 1.5 acres .. homeowners insurance is $750.00 a year. Miami has grown population wise .. and a very high % of that population growth is via very successful Latin American businessmen who have opened offices in Miami.

I work in international agriculture. Had a meeting a couple of years ago with a grower in the Dominican Republic .. turned out the Dominican company was a subsidiary of a bank, a very large and successful bank. The Chairman of the bank and his son .. who ran the ag company .. actually BOTH lived in Coral Gables .. 3 blocks from my house.

Central Florida will offer significantly more economical housing and overall lower cost of living .. and there ARE machinist type jobs available. Good luck. And it's still close enough to drive down to Miami Gardens for UM games!!

U speeky spanish?

Another comment on the super high cost of living in Miami / Made county. I lived about 6 blocks from the UM campus for 22 years. Reached the point .. due to hurricane risk .. that my HOMEOWNERS Insurance was $7,500 a year. Moved to Central Florida and built a home on 1.5 acres .. homeowners insurance is $750.00 a year. Miami has grown population wise .. and a very high % of that population growth is via very successful Latin American businessmen who have opened offices in Miami.

I work in international agriculture. Had a meeting a couple of years ago with a grower in the Dominican Republic .. turned out the Dominican company was a subsidiary of a bank, a very large and successful bank. The Chairman of the bank and his son .. who ran the ag company .. actually BOTH lived in Coral Gables .. 3 blocks from my house.

Central Florida will offer significantly more economical housing and overall lower cost of living .. and there ARE machinist type jobs available. Good luck. And it's still close enough to drive down to Miami Gardens for UM games!!
That insurance is crazy

I grew up loving Miami but also grew to hate it as I got deeper into my professional career in my early 30s (38 now). 3.5 yr ago, I left and bought a new 2,000 sq ft town house with a little yard in the heart of South Tampa which is basically the Coral Gables of Tampa. Paid 305k ironically and the estimate on Zillow is now $440k. Nice single family homes 3bed/3bath with good yard is going $550-650k here and insurance/tax combined about 5 k.

You can’t get that in coral gables. It’s where Gables was 20 years ago.

Now I live in an awesome big city that is growing (Tampa) and I am in a better city than Miami. Much happier st much lower cost with appreciating property.

Advice to Miamians - get the hell out and if you go visit for games or family, 3-5 day max

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT