ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on personal investment strategy

Actually this is terrible advice. GE and ATT were considered the bluest of the blues and they have sucked over time........the list of stocks that were once darlings is a mile long.
Buy ETFs like SPY and QQQ and continue to buy quarterly.
Thank me later.

If a person is incredibly risk averse and knows nothing about professional trading then yes, just buy the SPY and QQQ. There is however far more money to be made in buying individual assets, especially if you know how to build a hedged, long/short portfolio.

If a person is incredibly risk averse and knows nothing about professional trading then yes, just buy the SPY and QQQ. There is however far more money to be made in buying individual assets, especially if you know how to build a hedged, long/short portfolio.

Sure. Just like all the mutual funds that are run by professionals?? Lol

Sure. Just like all the mutual funds that are run by professionals?? Lol

Mutual Funds trade in much more than indexes. Blackrock (for example) is 80% equities, 20% fixed income.

Check out Eskay Mining Corp.(ESKYF). Up 375% since I purchased shares. Largest gold deposits in Canada.
Mining stocks are cheap, beaten up, and hated right now. My favorite criteria. A very tempting play if volatility doesn't scare you. I actually like silver miners better.

This thread is about financial planning as it relates to the jacketed-up US monetary policy.

Admission…I’m a conservative and have reached the conclusion that conservative monetary policy is dead and buried and has been for decades.

I just wanted to get that out of the way. My side (R) sucks at money management and so does the other side (D). However, this is not a political thread. PLEASE DON’T MAKE THIS ABOUT POLITICS. There are plenty of daily threads for that. I only mentioned D's & R's in order to set the tone that neither side seems interested in sound monetary policy when they are in power. Again, please, let’s have a discussion about personal investment strategy and not politics.

Do any of you have that feeling that “somehow this feels different this time?

Are we in the “decline of the Roman Empire” stage from a financial standpoint?

Have you changed your long term investment strategy because you feel our current path is not sustainable?
XRP & hold it.

Reactions: dolcane
You’re kidding ?! Duh.
And very few if any consistently beat the S&P.

But Hedge Funds routinely do, which is why people who know what they’re doing don’t waste their time relying on indexes. If you know how manage risk in a properly hedged portfolio, diversified equities have a significant advantage in delivering Alpha.

Which hedge funds are you talking about and show performance/ past returns.
Hedge funds are not really available to the retail investors anyway so it’s pretty much irrelevant to the conversation.
And you don’t hVe to look any further than some of the Ivy League endowments that have access to hedge funds and any other investment vehicle they choose. Most of them, after fees , underperform.

Last edited:
Hedge funds are not really available to the retail investors anyway so it’s pretty much irrelevant to the conversation.
And you don’t hVe to look any further than some of the Ivy League endowments that have access to hedge funds and any other investment vehicle they choose. Most of them, after fees , underperform.
Agree with 4210 that the golden era of hedge funds is near over. They thrived on exploiting inefficiencies in the market. Now, information is ubiquitous. The advantage has been lost.

I’ve invested twice in Hedge Fund of Funds. Both were disappointments and near impossible to exit. They are not liquid.

i’m done with them and their outrageous fees for average performance.

Reactions: 4210

I would say that you don't have to have access to a hedge fund or an IB to copy their trading methodologies, which when it comes to equities, is pretty simple. A vast majority of long/short funds use a very similar risk management framework, which can be replicated by any retail investor.

I would say that you don't have to have access to a hedge fund or an IB to copy their trading methodologies, which when it comes to equities, is pretty simple. A vast majority of long/short funds use a very similar risk management framework, which can be replicated by any retail investor.

You keep changing the narrative. But ok.
You be you.

Agree with 4210 that the golden era of hedge funds is near over. They thrived on exploiting inefficiencies in the market. Now, information is ubiquitous. The advantage has been lost.

I’ve invested twice in Hedge Fund of Funds. Both were disappointments and near impossible to exit. They are not liquid.

i’m done with them and their outrageous fees for average performance.
@4210 Its amazing how even modest fees can destroy net return over a long period. I’ve seen studies showing the eroding power of even 2% fees. Very eye opening.

This thread is about financial planning as it relates to the jacketed-up US monetary policy.

Admission…I’m a conservative and have reached the conclusion that conservative monetary policy is dead and buried and has been for decades.

I just wanted to get that out of the way. My side (R) sucks at money management and so does the other side (D). However, this is not a political thread. PLEASE DON’T MAKE THIS ABOUT POLITICS. There are plenty of daily threads for that. I only mentioned D's & R's in order to set the tone that neither side seems interested in sound monetary policy when they are in power. Again, please, let’s have a discussion about personal investment strategy and not politics.

Do any of you have that feeling that “somehow this feels different this time?

Are we in the “decline of the Roman Empire” stage from a financial standpoint?

Have you changed your long term investment strategy because you feel our current path is not sustainable?

The market has gotten so sophisticated that our approach .. rather than trying to evaluate sector funds, individual stocks etc., .. we rely on Stifel Investments to utilize their high tech analytical software and simply review performance annually with our rep and select conservative, moderate growth, or aggressive growth investment sectors for a certain % of our portfolio. We moved out of Miami (Coral Gables) 7 years ago and built a new home on 1.5 acres in a small university town in Central Florida. We could sell in a week if we put it on the market so we know we have a very solid real estate investment and just completed an addition (billiard room, bath, BR, kitchenette = man cave). Have a lot of confidence IN the equity market as the US is all about investors worldwide putting capital in perhaps the most secure region in the world.

The market has gotten so sophisticated that our approach .. rather than trying to evaluate sector funds, individual stocks etc., .. we rely on Stifel Investments to utilize their high tech analytical software and simply review performance annually with our rep and select conservative, moderate growth, or aggressive growth investment sectors for a certain % of our portfolio. We moved out of Miami (Coral Gables) 7 years ago and built a new home on 1.5 acres in a small university town in Central Florida. We could sell in a week if we put it on the market so we know we have a very solid real estate investment and just completed an addition (billiard room, bath, BR, kitchenette = man cave). Have a lot of confidence IN the equity market as the US is all about investors worldwide putting capital in perhaps the most secure region in the world.
How did you chose the small town in central FL?

How did you chose the small town in central FL?
Sort of stumbled onto it .. wanted to get away one weekend and found a dog friendly B&B (we have two Labs) just off of the main street in DeLand. Small town of 25,000 with Stetson University located just off of downtown. Nice mix of little shops, restaurants, the old book store, etc. Nice little walkable downtown, a bit secluded from the high traffic of Orlando, I-4 and I-95, but close enough that you can comfortably get there if there is a need or desire. The university, even though small (3200 or so), is an economic engine that really drives the core of the downtown economy (visiting family members and friends really drive the restaurant business). You can be in pure country in 5 minutes, rivers, kayaking, tons of equestrian activities, and of course golf and the beaches (Daytona / New Smyrna / Ormond Beach) 25 miles away. We traded the Lexus / BMW / Mercedes traffic of Coral Gables for the F150 / Sliverado traffic of Central Florida.

Reactions: dolcane
Sort of stumbled onto it .. wanted to get away one weekend and found a dog friendly B&B (we have two Labs) just off of the main street in DeLand. Small town of 25,000 with Stetson University located just off of downtown. Nice mix of little shops, restaurants, the old book store, etc. Nice little walkable downtown, a bit secluded from the high traffic of Orlando, I-4 and I-95, but close enough that you can comfortably get there if there is a need or desire. The university, even though small (3200 or so), is an economic engine that really drives the core of the downtown economy (visiting family members and friends really drive the restaurant business). You can be in pure country in 5 minutes, rivers, kayaking, tons of equestrian activities, and of course golf and the beaches (Daytona / New Smyrna / Ormond Beach) 25 miles away. We traded the Lexus / BMW / Mercedes traffic of Coral Gables for the F150 / Sliverado traffic of Central Florida.
Real people.

I used to visit that area on business frequently.

Just want to say that it’s a pleasure to discuss investments with Cane fans of all political persuasions. Try as I might, I can’t find a correlation between political beliefs and financial strategies. We actually agree on stuff.

‘Great job! 🙌

Just want to say that it’s a pleasure to discuss investments with Cane fans of all political persuasions. Try as I might, I can’t find a correlation between political beliefs and financial strategies. We actually agree on stuff.

‘Great job! 🙌
I didn’t want to jinx it...but, we’ve actually had a civil thread going in the lounge for days now! 😳

Mining stocks are cheap, beaten up, and hated right now. My favorite criteria. A very tempting play if volatility doesn't scare you. I actually like silver miners better.
Eskay mines both gold and silver and has an option agreement with Silver Standard Resources.

Watch the movie clip lecture wall street never sleeps on youtube. Douglas at the end gives a great lecture on steroid economics. It’s all bull shit. No normal legit people know what’s going to happen in the market. I don’t care how smart they are. Stay the course and just except that there’s a lot of people at the top of tops making a shit ton off your’s and my investments. I’m not talking about your financial advisers either. Where that money is coming from and how it’s going to effect our country... different discussion.

day trading is the black jack table of the investment world. You might get lucky from time to time but the house always wins eventually. Roths, ira’s, mutual funds, etc, if you can do it... 4-8% gains can eventually be a big number if you’re patent. It’s a no brainer to let you’re money make you money but a lot depends on how much you have vs how much you need sooner than later. Kind of a dichotomy.

one thing I was very fortunate of was that I grew up in a time and city where you didn’t need a lot of money to be happy. It was easy for me to let my money make me money because I was young, single, had my family, friends, canes games, fishing on the weekends, surfing, the bach life, hell nat light and movie and a bar after with a pool table and I was happy. I had my guitar, the little wekiva to hike, etc.none of this cost a lot of money but it was my world and i couldn’t have bern happier with it. I didn’t know anything different. I also, grew up in an area where if you showed off your money you were looked down upon.

shit changed when I got older, i need money now and thank god I have it but I still have to remind my self what really makes me happy and a big part of the reason why im in the position that im in and not get caught up in the keeping up with the jones’.

Last edited:
Reactions: dolcane and 4210
Eskay mines both gold and silver and has an option agreement with Silver Standard Resources.
Let me guess, you have it buried in your yard cousin Eddy style, lol. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I’ll leave you alone, I promise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT