ADVERTISEMENT

Tomahawk Chop - under review in Atlanta

HERBIELILY

SuperCane
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2004
On Sunday the Atlanta Braves sent out an email to season-ticket holders that while they will not be abandoning their name, they are reviewing the "tomahawk chop," a celebration they've used for decades. it is still unclear whether they are going to end the tomahawk chop.

On Sunday the Atlanta Braves sent out an email to season-ticket holders that while they will not be abandoning their name, they are reviewing the "tomahawk chop," a celebration they've used for decades. it is still unclear whether they are going to end the tomahawk chop.
what does that have to do with Miami Hurricanes football?

Reactions: mmako11
I mentioned the whole Osceola / Seminole situation before , the spear thing , the war paint , The chop it’s worse than the redskins . Why does FSU get away with these while others can’t
It’s no like I’m a big fan of this woke stuff , Christopher Columbus was a great man and Italian!
But shouldn’t there be consistency?

Reactions: mrbaseballdn
I mentioned the whole Osceola / Seminole situation before , the spear thing , the war paint , The chop it’s worse than the redskins . Why does FSU get away with these while others can’t
It’s no like I’m a big fan of this woke stuff , Christopher Columbus was a great man and Italian!

They have actually worked with the Seminole tribe. I’m pretty sure the tribe signs off on it. If they are fine with it, we should be too.

Because they have the blessing of the tribe, and make donations.

Reactions: jbkriss
If the social justice warriors decide it should go away, it will be forced to go away given the weak leadership of organizations. This will impact the KC Chiefs as well.

There is consistency, they're consistently rewriting history.

I would love to see fsu have to give up the chop. seminoles support fsu and love having them as their mascot. they are too busy counting and handing out all that hard rock money any way. pretty sure each seminole indian gets 100k per year for breathing.

Which one the small lil group that got rich when they gave the sign off and got table gambling OR then majority of Seminole’s that AJ marched to Oklahoma.
actually my man AJ Wasn’t involved in the trail of tears , it was after he left office
But he did sign the relocation act relating to Georgia. The Indians were going to replaced anyway like they were in NY and Massachusetts.
Meanwhile I don’t see any distinction between the redskins and the Seminoles as to political correctness. Is Chief Osceola riding a horse with war paint on throwing a flaming spear into the ground culturally cool? I think so . But my woke friends likely differ

Bet on this: The next nickname to go will be "Rebels" as in Ole Miss Rebels. Reminds too much of the Confederacy. The Mob hasn't gotten around to it yet, but they will.

They have actually worked with the Seminole tribe. I’m pretty sure the tribe signs off on it. If they are fine with it, we should be too.

Seminole tribe gets paid off I believe. The name Seminoles is up to them. The war paint, chant, chop, etc may well be offensive to all the other tribes who don't get anything from FSU. BTW, heard yesterday someone did a poll of native Americans about the Redskins name and over 85% said they didn't care about it.

Reactions: genghiscane
Because Seminole nation has said they have no problem with it.....

Reactions: caphayes
Because the Seminole tribe has repeatedly stated they like it, it doesn't bother them, they want it

Reactions: caphayes
Actually you were correct. There were 5 tribes—Seminoles being one of them. (And Cherokee).
It’s amazing how loud and wrong some folks willing to be. Less than a tenth of Seminole nation remained in Florida. The vast majority of Seminoles live in Oklahoma. They’ve voted as a counsel numerous times to rebuke the use.

@ddimaggio the chief Osceola thing is ****ed in so many levels it’s not funny. It’s not PC. Seminoles didn’t ride ****ing horses. They didn’t wear war paint. Chief was a diplomat. Seminoles used guns not spears. They didn’t even use ritual spears. It’s a mashup of stereotypes done by some kid in red face so yeah the fact that folks done know A. Where the overwhelming majority of Seminoles love, B. That they didn’t ride horses, C. Anything about the real Chief Osceola and D. Think a literal speerchucker is tribute would all highlight why that shit is wack.

call it PC all ya like but imagine them being the Florida State Zulus and the fans all chanting ooonga boonga some black guy dressed in loincloth with and a daishiki races out on a zebra and throws a flaming spear into the ground And his name is Frederick Douglas and it’s fully endorsed by the Gullah community who in turn receive a windfall, that’s the level of absurdity.

I’m good with this thread.

It’s amazing how loud and wrong some folks willing to be. Less than a tenth of Seminole nation remained in Florida. The vast majority of Seminoles live in Oklahoma. They’ve voted as a counsel numerous times to rebuke the use.

@ddimaggio the chief Osceola thing is ****ed in so many levels it’s not funny. It’s not PC. Seminoles didn’t ride ****ing horses. They didn’t wear war paint. Chief was a diplomat. Seminoles used guns not spears. They didn’t even use ritual spears. It’s a mashup of stereotypes done by some kid in red face so yeah the fact that folks done know A. Where the overwhelming majority of Seminoles love, B. That they didn’t ride horses, C. Anything about the real Chief Osceola and D. Think a literal speerchucker is tribute would all highlight why that shit is wack.

call it PC all ya like but imagine them being the Florida State Zulus and the fans all chanting ooonga boonga some black guy dressed in loincloth with and a daishiki races out on a zebra and throws a flaming spear into the ground And his name is Frederick Douglas and it’s fully endorsed by the Gullah community who in turn receive a windfall, that’s the level of absurdity.

LMFBO.... nominate for post of the year.

Reactions: zackbear

Classic post!
Yeah , I’m not sure I’m on board with all these proposed changes , but if we are consistent, the Seminole thing is worse than the RedSkin thing

READ and learn

https://unicomm.fsu.edu/messages/relationship-seminole-tribe-florida/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT