ADVERTISEMENT

UNIONS RUINED DETROIT - NOW NCAA FOOTBALL

alexsiman

SuperCane
Jan 13, 2009
Unions took the single wealthiest city in all the world and turned it into a third world nation within 50 years. Now unions have convinced Northwestern football players to unionize.

I have been saying college athletes should have the freedom to work and get paid for endorsements for decades. This would immediatly address all the inequities that would come from players and athletes from other sports getting paid the same as star athletes. Every college student is allowed to have a part time job, and some degrees flat out require it. So why not let stars get paid for their stardom......especially if the alleged reason for not allowing them to work was intrussions into study and practice time.

On the other hand, unionizing will make NCAA football irrecogniseable within a decade. Just the lawsuits will be unpredictable and crippling to programs that struggle economically.....namely ours. The really crippling lawsuits will be from former players suing their old teams for revenue lost.

In fact, the money issue will flip the program budgets. Football used to fund unprofitable sports. This will make them unaffordable.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Reactions: King_Cane
hahaha...

Ay.....wait till the "equal pay for equal work" issue hits with female athletes. This is a Pandoras Box, and I doubt these Northwestern players understand exactly the full ramifications of this move.

Agree with everything you said except the first. Of the 13 states that get less money or beak even for every dollar they give the federal government in taxes only 4 are right to work states (Texas, Indiana, Nebraska and Arkansas) the other 9 are union states. Detroit's demise had as much to do about tax incentives to go elsewhere, expansion of the suburbs and overproduction as it did union involvement. But again I agree with most of your points this thing will get tied up in court forever and they should have the freedom to get paid via endorsements.

I don't thing the current system in place does the player's justice so I welcome anything that would create an opportunity to create a real shot at giving players more benefits than what they currently have. My understanding is that with this particular situation, they are not asking for compensation but for things that make sense like long term medical care if they get injured, a limit to hours they can practice, independent medical reviews of injuries, and for schools to not run off players so they can open up new scholarships. I also think this could create a huge advantage for private universities like UM because this would be something that only private schools would offer, so it would be an advantage for students to pick a private school over a public institution.

Have you seen Detroit? It makes Overtown look like Star Island!! To call it a third world country is an insult to third world nations that still have functioning police departments and street lights.

I am not just pointing at unions in the private sector. I am including government worker unions which allowed the rampant corruption inthe city governmemt and sheilded them from ramifications.

And yes, if you help bankrupt the company you work in....and that company happens to feed the city...then private sector unions had a significant hand in it.

pramis, you are thinking that this can be contained. your entire premise falls apart once dicrimination issues come into play....as they should if one student athlete gets benefits others do not.

Ignoring all other factors outside of unionization is a simple minded outlook. Again all but 4 of the states that receive less federal money then they contribute are union states. I am not saying union actions and Detroit's shortcomings are unrelated, but there were many factors such as reliance on a single form of tax revenue, tax incentives for overseas expansion, poor pension planning, race riots etc. For every Detroit there is a NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, LA, etc.; union cities that have some how managed to survive. Additionally, if we are talking third world nations, have you been to Mississippi, Alabama, anywhere in Louisiana not named New Orleans, South Carolina and Kentucky?

This post was edited on 3/26 10:56 PM by rstover52

saying that unions and unions alone destroyed Detroit is over simplifying things.

the single most prosperous time in this country for the middle class was the 30 years following the "New Deal" when unions were at their strongest and most powerful point.

Then the 1 percenters came together and decided to wage a war against the middle class and one of their main objectives was to destroy unions. not only by breaking them up, but by convincing the public that unions were the root of all problems. ever hear of the "Powell Report"?

what was one of the very first things Hitler went after when he took power in Germany? the unions.

do you enjoy life insurance, health insurance, 40 hour work week, 8 hour work day, over time pay, lunch breaks, child labor laws, social security, safe work place standards, pensions, minimum wage and the list goes on..... you can thank unions for all those things that most people take for granted.

if you want to know what is really destroying this country look no further than the 1 percenters and their big businesses that make millions and millions of dollars of profit every single year and yet they DO NOT have to contribute one red cent back to the federal government not only do they not pay any taxes at all but they get millions of dollars in tax refunds.

we want to blame unions for destroying cities.

OP watches too much Fox News. Complacency, unreliable cars, the failure to respond to the energy crisis in the 70's, and crappy designs doomed the auto industry in Detroit. Like the steel companies of Ohio and Pennsylvania, Detroit auto factories never upgraded.

As for student athletes, you normally don't see unions when the workers are being treated fairly.

Originally posted by klbcec:
OP watches too much Fox News. Complacency, unreliable cars, the failure to respond to the energy crisis in the 70's, and crappy designs doomed the auto industry in Detroit. Like the steel companies of Ohio and Pennsylvania, Detroit auto factories never upgraded.

As for student athletes, you normally don't see unions when the workers are being treated fairly.
Lol at OP watches too much Fox News, because he does, it's my brother posting with my account, but he does make some good points in regards to the pandora's box that has been potentially opened. I agree with klbcec that Detroit brought on its own demise and it wasn't just the unions but lackadaisical "buy American" attitude while the foreign car companies were making what the customers wanted and could afford.

This is what I know from union's and this from a couple of buddies that used to live up there or travle up there.

Neither one liked it. You were not allowed to take out the trash or change a light bulb because that was a union job and you could get in trouble. My neighbor who still does work up there says that when he shows up on job sites (he puts in place industrial printing presses) and needs a light bulb chnage he has to call a union worker. Same thing for my buddy that worked at a prison in Michigan....They thought that it was a joke and they over paid big time for these jobs. Work was delayed all the time because simple tasks were union jobs and were not allowed to be done.

It seems to me like there are significant issues IF this true. I am not sure why they would lie about it. A lot of midwesterners are lvign states like Michigan, Illinois and New Jersey because of lacks of jobs....Huge influx coming down to work In Texas......mainly for work.

Originally posted by porky3100:
Alexsiman-Sometimes it's better to research a topic before mouthing off with ignorance.

http://www.freep.com/interactive/article/20130915/NEWS01/130801004/Detroit-Bankruptcy-history-1950-debt-pension-revenue
No way the courts hold this up. Wanna bet?

What an ass clown trying to come on here and say Unions ruin things. It takes a lot more than one union to ruin something.

Stick to canes football pal and leave the mantra for a political board.

I've always hoped a right winger who claims that having "unions" causes bankruptcy could explain why Volkswagen is nearly all unionized and is the most profitable auto maker in the world, which it is not even close. They also make significantly higher quality products than most non-union competitors. I assume their dreadful decline like the ultra high standard of living Scandinavians, whose countries have unionization rates of around seventy percents days will also come soon as well, or maybe, just maybe its america's laws and treatment of its workforce that is leading to its problems. Just like its treatment of its athletes in its most popular sport!

Sure put your trust in NCAA instead of unionized colllege players because NCAA represents all that is wonderful about sport. SMDH.

What an asshat to blame the unions for Detroits down fall. Unions made the working class nation wide and brought you weekends, holidays, and REAL safety practices. Quit crying about things you're ignorant about.
This post was edited on 3/27 5:53 AM by mjl7atlas

I simply can't agree with your premise that Unions ruined Detroit. I understand your logic but it just is not factual. I think people ruined Detroit. Unions are not the blame for that. It is like anything else. People get involved and things go off the rails but don't blame unions. That's crazy!

Remember dude. Without unions most of us would be working Saturday and Sunday and way more than 40hrs a week. Without unions you wouldn't have any vacation or sick time most likely.

There is a reason unions exist....and this country benefited from it. However, like anything else people abuse power. Just like Management abuse power. Union leaders abuse power. It is the people that are the blame. Not the company or the union.

The whole time Detroit started downhill the people kept voting in Democratic Mayors and they spent ever increasing amounts of money on one boonedoggle after another and then they found out nothing works and they were broke.

Per U. S. census bureau: 1810-1980 middle class expands and middle class income up every decade. 1980-2016 middle class reduced in size and income down. Democrats and Republican politicians passed laws enabling giant corporations to gut the middle class. Vote Bernie or Trump, everybody else is owned by job exporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT