ADVERTISEMENT

What would you say the scariest neighborhood you’ve ever been in is?

SuperCane
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2005
My top five:

5) I was in Coral gables trying to see a girl i use to goto high school with that said she lived in coconut grove and was real close. I took one wrong turn on a fri night and honestly, I think i was still in the area (I’m from Orlando and don’t know miami well), took one wrong turn where that circular liquer store was with bars all around and kept driving in. I call her up and say, “heather, I think I made a wrong turn. Theres no way you live here. Her answer “Stop being a pussy this isn’t lake mary your fine”. So i keep driving (I’m like ok I guess deserved that lol but it keeps getting worse). Theres no street lights and its pitch black yet everyone’s still out like it’s a Saturday afternoon. Grown men on bikes driving by my truck trying to look into my truck. Dealers camped out on both sides of the street etc. i couldn’t drive through it because it just kept getting worse. Eventually I just said **** it I’m making a U turn in somebodies drive way that’s not there and I’m not stopping on my way out. Less than a minute after that somebody jumped on the hood of my car, I didn’t stop. Next thing you know people are throwing shit at my car as I’m driving not stoping for dealers trying to approach me. Heather had a great laugh at that one when she found out where I was but none the less, great night. I got my concealed a week later.

4) 13th street sanford florida. I’m doing a charity drop off at the out reach rescue mission. It’s 11am on a Mon. I’ve been here before because I’ve done a lot of work at the rescue mission but on this day two guys literally walk right in front of my truck and meet in the middle of the street as I’m driving 25 mph. I screech on my breaks and just look at them like WTF?! Guy pulls out a gun and starts talking shit. I duck down, they do their thing, walk away and drive like 100 more yards to the mission. I say to earnie im calling the cops when i get there, he’s like don’t bother.

3) Birmingham alabama. Driving from tuscaloosa to the airport and a bridge burnt down or something and I had to take a detour in Birmingham. Was pretty close to the stadium legend field which i thought was cool at the time. Not so cool, even at dawn. Needless to say similar situation as to the one when I was in the back side of coconut grove. Difference is that when it’s not completely dark you can see everything and everyone and it was just a lot more people with a lot more shit going on in a way more screwed up area. In miami people live in some what decent houses even in bad areas. In Birmingham people live in house that you’d be shocked to see people living in. No doors, windows, cars etc. just completely delapidated.

2) Memphis Tennessee . Trying to get to beal street. I guess theres a better way to get there that we didn’t take other wise beal street wouldn’t be on the map any more as a tourist attraction. With my dad in his navigatir with our fl plate on the back and canes plate on the front. Got dirty looks and people yelling shit at us the whole time then, boom! Loud pop and you see like twenty people coming running out of a house we were driving by.

1) ozark Missouri. By far the most intense. My dad use to have a cabin out there like sixty plus years ago and it was way out in the sticks and he wanted to revisit it. Just as we get to the out skirts we stop for ice/gas. I pump while my dad goes in for ice. a shitty truck pulls up with a bunch of cackly buck toothed girls in the bed yelling at me trying to get me into the truck. The guys in the cabin just giving me death stairs mouthing god knows what. Finally my dad comes back with one half melted bag of ice and just says lets go, get in the car. Lol, the guy at the little store charged us $20 for a bag of ice. My dad did the smart thing and just paid it. So we drive on, get further into the country. I’m like dad, I’m seeing little churches like every three miles but I’m not seeing any houses, where’s the congregate? He’s just like they’re there trust me. We finally get to where the cabin use to be, it was crazy there was just a tiny old school house that looked like something from three hundred years ago that was abandoned. All I could think of was that everyone knew we were there and didn’t want us there and that if they wanted to make us disappear no one would ever know. At least if i get shot in a typical rough neighborhood the police will come and they’ll find us. Not out here. Never. I get out of the car and fish for like five minutes. You could literally feel the eyes on you. I just say dad, nothings biting lets get back on the road fast.

My top five:

5) I was in Coral gables trying to see a girl i use to goto high school with that said she lived in coconut grove and was real close. I took one wrong turn on a fri night and honestly, I think i was still in the area (I’m from Orlando and don’t know miami well), took one wrong turn where that circular liquer store was with bars all around and kept driving in. I call her up and say, “heather, I think I made a wrong turn. Theres no way you live here. Her answer “Stop being a pussy this isn’t lake mary your fine”. So i keep driving (I’m like ok I guess deserved that lol but it keeps getting worse). Theres no street lights and its pitch black yet everyone’s still out like it’s a Saturday afternoon. Grown men on bikes driving by my truck trying to look into my truck. Dealers camped out on both sides of the street etc. i couldn’t drive through it because it just kept getting worse. Eventually I just said **** it I’m making a U turn in somebodies drive way that’s not there and I’m not stopping on my way out. Less than a minute after that somebody jumped on the hood of my car, I didn’t stop. Next thing you know people are throwing shit at my car as I’m driving not stoping for dealers trying to approach me. Heather had a great laugh at that one when she found out where I was but none the less, great night. I got my concealed a week later.

4) 13th street sanford florida. I’m doing a charity drop off at the out reach rescue mission. It’s 11am on a Mon. I’ve been here before because I’ve done a lot of work at the rescue mission but on this day two guys literally walk right in front of my truck and meet in the middle of the street as I’m driving 25 mph. I screech on my breaks and just look at them like WTF?! Guy pulls out a gun and starts talking shit. I duck down, they do their thing, walk away and drive like 100 more yards to the mission. I say to earnie im calling the cops when i get there, he’s like don’t bother.

3) Birmingham alabama. Driving from tuscaloosa to the airport and a bridge burnt down or something and I had to take a detour in Birmingham. Was pretty close to the stadium legend field which i thought was cool at the time. Not so cool, even at dawn. Needless to say similar situation as to the one when I was in the back side of coconut grove. Difference is that when it’s not completely dark you can see everything and everyone and it was just a lot more people with a lot more shit going on in a way more screwed up area. In miami people live in some what decent houses even in bad areas. In Birmingham people live in house that you’d be shocked to see people living in. No doors, windows, cars etc. just completely delapidated.

2) Memphis Tennessee . Trying to get to beal street. I guess theres a better way to get there that we didn’t take other wise beal street wouldn’t be on the map any more as a tourist attraction. With my dad in his navigatir with our fl plate on the back and canes plate on the front. Got dirty looks and people yelling shit at us the whole time then, boom! Loud pop and you see like twenty people coming running out of a house we were driving by.

1) ozark Missouri. By far the most intense. My dad use to have a cabin out there like sixty plus years ago and it was way out in the sticks and he wanted to revisit it. Just as we get to the out skirts we stop for ice/gas. I pump while my dad goes in for ice. a shitty truck pulls up with a bunch of cackly buck toothed girls in the bed yelling at me trying to get me into the truck. The guys in the cabin just giving me death stairs mouthing god knows what. Finally my dad comes back with one half melted bag of ice and just says lets go, get in the car. Lol, the guy at the little store charged us $20 for a bag of ice. My dad did the smart thing and just paid it. So we drive on, get further into the country. I’m like dad, I’m seeing little churches like every three miles but I’m not seeing any houses, where’s the congregate? He’s just like they’re there trust me. We finally get to where the cabin use to be, it was crazy there was just a tiny old school house that looked like something from three hundred years ago that was abandoned. All I could think of was that everyone knew we were there and didn’t want us there and that if they wanted to make us disappear no one would ever know. At least if i get shot in a typical rough neighborhood the police will come and they’ll find us. Not out here. Never. I get out of the car and fish for like five minutes. You could literally feel the eyes on you. I just say dad, nothings biting lets get back on the road fast.
Good stuff my man!

Southeast DC back in the mid-late 90’s before the Nats team came to town and cleaned up the area. Rough if you take a wrong turn off of South Capitol Street /Anacostia freeway/PA Avenue between Bolling AFB and DC. 95, 395, 295, and 495 were not all connected back then on the southeast side, so using side streets to hop between them was common. This us now mostly highway connected until PA Avenue. Got lost late one afternoon when first reporting to the duty station and never seen so many tireless cars on bricks and dealer lookouts in broad daylight. I had a hand map that I used back then when stopping at intersections, and everytime I stopped longer than required the approaches started happening.

Nothing for me was “scary,” but a Navy Chief I worked with at that duty station used to ride his bicycle to work a few days a week early at 5AM between Bolling (his quarters) and Henderson Hall, using a path near the Navy Yard, because what could go wrong at 5AM in the spring/summer? Well, around 530 he was chased by a 7 person teenage bicycle gang, some like 12–13 years old, but some over 6 ft 250 lbs, assaulted, had his bag stolen and luckily only a black eye. As they were going through his backpack he was fortunate to jump back on his bike and get to a police car for help. This dude was only 5-8 170 lbs, so he didn’t fare all that well. Luckily all they took was his backpack, and his ID was somewhere else and cell phones were not prevalent yet.

Then there is Baltimore…

1.Harlem, N.Y.C. up in the 120's and Amsterdam ave. ,late 70's
2.Jerome Ave in the South Bronx, N.Y. late 70's. Real bad. Burned out buildings all over.
3. Dixie Hwy in the 70's when residents were throwing molotov cocktails off the roof of the projects during the riots. The Collection now sits in that area.
4. Currently Memphis. Going from Germantown to downtown. Should have gone straight down Poplar ave but didn't.
5. Was in Trinidad a few years ago just walking around after going to our embassy. No one ever said a word to me however I felt all eyes on me. Was told that it was a mistake.

Reactions: unit1073
1). Rural areas of El Salvador in 1982 .. on an ag assignment .. bridges over rivers had machine gun nests on each side manned by "soldiers" that looked to be 12 years old.

2). Rural area outside of Santa Marta, Colombia in 1977, narco wars were going on and both sides had paid support of certain units of the Colombian Military. Came across multiple bodies with gunshot head wounds, and was stopped by an Army unit when mistook for a narco messenger (had a jeep with a radio antenna).

3). Rural area 2 hours north of Lima, Peru in 1990, area was being contested by two terrorist groups for control.
Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path) and MRTA (Movement Revolucionario Tupac Amaru). Ended up in the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds .. but healed quite well.

After those incidents wandering into a bad neighborhood in NYC didn't seem to be that much of a problem.

Sounds like Miami Beach is a pretty dangerous place to be these days .. unless you're living in Jade.
I live in 33140. The only time I go to that shithole 33139 is when we have tourist friends in town. It's always the same thing. They all wanna see Wet Willies, Clevelander, Mangos, South Point, Joe's, Lincoln Road, and then take a picture laying down on the steps of Versace's place. And I just pretend like I am having fun.

When I lived in Manhattan in the early 80’s, life in the Alphabet Avenues of the East Village was a bit scary. In particular, the corner of East 2nd St. and Avenue B was an adventure. Hollowed out buildings on every corner where the drug trade was an “open outcry” system. Guys hawking drugs loudly and publicly on the sidewalks. No police.

Riding through this area in a cab on the way home from my work on Wall St., the cab driver would always say: “Roll up the window and lock your door. I’m not stopping if anybody approaches the cab.”

That said, I’d go with Fia’s experience detailed above as the scariest. I worked in the Latin America markets for many years. But, I never got out to countryside where Left Wing insurgents, Right Wing hit squads and government soldiers were mixing it up. Glad I missed it!

Beirut 1971, country was still Christian run but Muslim majority. Populace was still trying to recover from 1967 six day war although Lebanon not a direct combatant refugees and collateral damage everywhere. As Bob Dylan would say, “

“there was music in the cafes at night, revolution in the air “​

Got myself in the middle of Arab political rally realized time to scoot. Downtown Square 4 entrances at each corner left opposite entry point. Cars riding by AK 47’s firing in air then had knife pulled on me. Finally found a Arab student who directed me back to hotel along Mediterranean and in front of US Embassy, later bombed. Can’t compete with some of these other posts but learned that day I don’t want too.

Beirut 1971, country was still Christian run but Muslim majority. Populace was still trying to recover from 1967 six day war although Lebanon not a direct combatant refugees and collateral damage everywhere. As Bob Dylan would say, “

Got myself in the middle of Arab political rally realized time to scoot. Downtown Square 4 entrances at each corner left opposite entry point. Cars riding by AK 47’s firing in air then had knife pulled on me. Finally found a Arab student who directed me back to hotel along Mediterranean and in front of US Embassy, later bombed. Can’t compete with some of these other posts but learned that day I don’t want too.
Khe Sanh, Vietnam

Reactions: unit1073
When I lived in Manhattan in the early 80’s, life in the Alphabet Avenues of the East Village was a bit scary. In particular, the corner of East 2nd St. and Avenue B was an adventure. Hollowed out buildings on every corner where the drug trade was an “open outcry” system. Guys hawking drugs loudly and publicly on the sidewalks. No police.

Riding through this area in a cab on the way home from my work on Wall St., the cab driver would always say: “Roll up the window and lock your door. I’m not stopping if anybody approaches the cab.”

That said, I’d go with Fia’s experience detailed above as the scariest. I worked in the Latin America markets for many years. But, I never got out to countryside where Left Wing insurgents, Right Wing hit squads and government soldiers were mixing it up. Glad I missed it!
Totally agree with A, B, C..forgot about those avenues. I remember, not sure however, if the Hells Angels were also down there. Now its all artists and co - ops or condos.

Best friend there at the beginning. 1/9 The Walking Dead.
Khe Sanh was in a valley surrounded by hills full 0f NVA troops. Constant incoming night and day. C-rations had to be dropped from planes in large nets. When there was a food drop Marines would crawl out of their bunkers and scramble for the peanut butter in the C-rations. At night they would spread the peanut butter on their fingers hoping to get bit by a rabid rat. A rat bite meant a medi-vac ride out. For years after I would get an instant scare if I woke in the night and had an arm hanging over the side of the bed thinking it was vulnerable to a rat bite.

Reactions: ZEKEMUG

Awesome reference to Dylan! He could write and sing reality like very few could. For the familiar and unfamiliar, take a few minutes and enjoy:

No particular order

Riviera Beach- delivered and worked in the area for years. Saw many a things happen, from robberies to rolling up on dead folks in the middle of the road.

Inner Belle Glade- very poor. Delivered to a kwik stop. The owner came out to watch the truck while I delivered. The owner told me not to come back because I was white.

Memphis- took my wife, grandma and father in law from Corinth Ms to see Graceland. Took a wrong turn some where to find a a few dudes beating up someone outside a gas station. Dudes white shirt was 80% covered in blood

New Haven Ct- delivered to the projects across from the Amtrak station. Legit looked like a 3rd world country. Got fvcked with the whole hour I was there. A toothless prostitute propositioned me inside the store. Drug deals were happening in the open. To top it off the owner paid me 500.00 in cash. I did not think I was getting out alive

My personal scariest.

Overtown in the mid 80's. It is one thing to say "don't want to be there Saturday night". But back then Tuesday's at 1:00 pm had death in the air. Liberty City was a resort compared to Overtown.

Memphis, several have mentioned it. The i-40 story made me laugh. It looks like they were building the road, got scared when they got near down town and walked away. When you hear of a player coming from Melrose, you know they are the real deal bad dude. Some areas to the north of there may not have electricity and running water.

New Orleans, some really creepy areas around the River, especially the South side. Again, skin crawls on a sunny mid week day.

Last edited:
Man you ain’t safe nowhere these days, bad guys get you wherever you are.

1.Harlem, N.Y.C. up in the 120's and Amsterdam ave. ,late 70's
2.Jerome Ave in the South Bronx, N.Y. late 70's. Real bad. Burned out buildings all over.
3. Dixie Hwy in the 70's when residents were throwing molotov cocktails off the roof of the projects during the riots. The Collection now sits in that area.
4. Currently Memphis. Going from Germantown to downtown. Should have gone straight down Poplar ave but didn't.
5. Was in Trinidad a few years ago just walking around after going to our embassy. No one ever said a word to me however I felt all eyes on me. Was told that it was a mistake.
Your #1 was my #1.

Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn at the same time was scary, I was never there at night though.

I did have a rough situation on Amsterdam and 144th circa 1979.

Reactions: Allied2651
My top five:

Pinecrest, the corner of 62 avenue and 114 Street. Scary!!! and don't get me started about Westchestay.

Khe Sanh was in a valley surrounded by hills full 0f NVA troops. Constant incoming night and day. C-rations had to be dropped from planes in large nets. When there was a food drop Marines would crawl out of their bunkers and scramble for the peanut butter in the C-rations. At night they would spread the peanut butter on their fingers hoping to get bit by a rabid rat. A rat bite meant a medi-vac ride out. For years after I would get an instant scare if I woke in the night and had an arm hanging over the side of the bed thinking it was vulnerable to a rat bite.
I take back most of what I ever said about you. That is nuts.

Pinecrest, the corner of 62 avenue and 114 Street. Scary!!! and don't get me started about WestchestayI will be in Atlanta Sept 4 iF If you think you beat me than God Bless. There is zero chance that CD Wright at this point. He is kinda like my family's BLACK friend

Rabies is an awful way to die. How did they know if they would get the shots on time?

Much respect to you though. Sad that any of our boys had to go through that. I cant imagine the terror.

Awesome reference to Dylan! He could write and sing reality like very few could. For the familiar and unfamiliar, take a few minutes and enjoy:
Look up the meaning behind the song it’s all over now, baby blue by dylan. Really creepy. Good song but always makes me feel un easy when I listen to it. Literally every parents worst nightmare. Guy wrote some really dark stuff. Kinda reminds me of riders on the storm by the doors. Can’t imagine what would inspire these musicians to write these kinda songs.

on a happy note bob dylans heaven’s door rye whiskey is legit. Definitely worth trying if you get the chance.

Rabies is an awful way to die. How did they know if they would get the shots on time?

Much respect to you though. Sad that any of our boys had to go through that. I cant imagine the terror.
Wilyou be there vs Bama?
I will be in Atlanta Sept 4 iF If you think you beat me than God Bless. There is zero chance that CD Wright at this point. He is kinda like my family's BLACK friend
I could not quote you

What does this mean!???
You are making fun of me. You will not be doing that after Sept 4

I don't know a lot . But i KNO HOW TO FIGHT

Last edited:
Wilyou be there vs Bama?

You are making fun of me. You will not be doing that after Sept 4
I wasn't making fun of you. I was joking around, are you a sensitive lad? If so I will lay off.

and you quoted me for some reason, I am still not sure why. as I cant figure out what message you were trying to convey.

what happens September that changes things?

No, I will NOT be at the game.

Look up the meaning behind the song it’s all over now, baby blue by dylan. Really creepy. Good song but always makes me feel un easy when I listen to it. Literally every parents worst nightmare. Guy wrote some really dark stuff. Kinda reminds me of riders on the storm by the doors. Can’t imagine what would inspire these musicians to write these kinda songs.

on a happy note bob dylans heaven’s door rye whiskey is legit. Definitely worth trying if you get the chance.
I am very familiar with Tangled up in Blue, Blood on the Tracks is my favorite Dylan album and also a fan of It's All over now Baby Blue.

Strike another match and start anew.

How is it a parents worst nightmare? Ive heard the song and played it on guitar countless times and I dont know what you are referring to.

Maybe it's just a simple twist of fate.

I take back most of what I ever said about you. That is nuts.
With their huge advantage n numbers, the NVA could clearly have overrun the base and wiped us out but they held back. The only thing that saved us was that Pres, Nixon had warned them that if they overran Khe Sanh, he would hit them with nuclear weapons. Never much liked the man but will be forever grateful to him for saving our lives.

Actually, the scariest place I have ever been was in Amsterdam, don’t know the street but it was like much worse than here. The drug dealers would almost tackle you trying sell you dope. I was a kid on leave in the military and they were way aggressive, yep there,are a lot of places overseas that are bad. I love this country,

Actually, the scariest place I have ever been was in Amsterdam, don’t know the street but it was like much worse than here. The drug dealers would almost tackle you trying sell you dope. I was a kid on leave in the military and they were way aggressive, yep there,are a lot of places overseas that are bad. I love this country,
Yup, not my experience but my son in Prague in the old town square. He got into a fight with some Bulgarians who sells drugs there. They came up to him and showed a needle in their hand. My son waives them away when one of them took a swing at him and missed. He knocked one of them down then ran across the railroad tracks to take the first train that pulled in. He avoided that square when he traveled to class. A "U" grad!

I don't know what they knew but they were flown out as soon as possible. The NVA had their artillery and rockets zeroed in on the airstrip so the C-130's would touchdown but never come to a complete stop. They would continue to taxi down the runway so you had to run after them to jump aboard.

My top five:

south street philadelphia pa

ADVERTISEMENT