ADVERTISEMENT

Why Saban is a great coach for college football.

BAMA CANE.

SuperCane
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2004
Huntsville, Al.
Living and working in Huntsville, Alabama, I get a lot of Emails from Bama fans and I thought this would be good to share with you all. This is one Bama fans comments on Sabans talk recently in Atlanta. I know Dolphin Fans hate Saban but I dont think he would have had much success in the Pros anyway. Too many vairables to deal with in the pros. I started to post it on the War Room but thought it would get too much negativity over there. Like him or not, he is a winner and will have more NC's than Bear Bryant ever thought about if he stays at Bama.

From a friend of mine and Bama alum.

Friday night I had the opportunity to hear Saban speak at the Glazier 150 clinic in Atlanta. As always, a great experience to hear him speak and truly gain some insight on how and why the program is so successful. He gets invited to speak all over the country, of course, but it's obviously very strategic on his part to speak in front of Atlanta-area and Georgia HS coaches (there are 17 players from Georgia on the roster currently).

He was only allotted 50 minutes to speak, but he went about 30-35 minutes over. He spoke the first 40 minutes on philosophy, today's college football players, what it takes to run a great organization, etc., then gave a pretty good clinic talk on press man coverage and drills. Great stuff.

Here's some of the takes from the evening …

On the four players recently dismissed

"You may have heard recently about those four cats we had on the team who were in trouble recently. Coming off the season, we identified 5 kids on our team that were going to kill us as a team, in terms of not buying in, being held accountable, attitude … and four of those five screwed up.

"In 5½ years we really haven't had one player get in any real trouble. That's rare and something we're proud of. But, sometimes you have to sort of prune the trees in order to get to the healthy part that makes it grow. And our team learned from this."

And later …

"Coach Parcells, and he's had sort of a lot of success, you know … he speaks at our clinic last year. And he tells us about a sign he posts in all the locker rooms he's coached at … the Giants, the Cowboys, the Patriots … and it says this: Dumb players do dumb things. Smart players seldom do dumb things. Which one are you? We like that, and guess where that's hanging now?"

On running a successful organization

"We're very detailed in how we define what people do here, whether it be a coordinator on down to the secretaries. And I think you have to define every role and every expectation, because it's chaos of you don't. It's impossible to be successful with consistency if you don't operate that way. I'm telling you ? it's impossible, guys.

"The first thing you have to do is, like I said, define everyone's role. When I was with Bill Belichick and the Cleveland Browns, he had everyone's role detailed and outlined for them. He had one sign in the building: Do YOUR job.

"The next thing you have to do is get the right guys on the bus. And then, if you have the wrong guys on the bus, whether they're players or coaches, guys, you have to get them the hell off the bus.

"We have two starters off last year's team that I know will kill us, and with their attitude and work ethic not being what it is, I've told them … they're not going to be starters for this team unless things change. That's just how it is.

"Then you have to have everyone buy in and you have to have positive energy. You have to have positive energy and you have to know what you are doing and what your role is. If you're a coach … we didn't hire you to be an independent contractor. We hired you to do things the way we do them here, because that's what works for us and it's been good for us."

More on positive energy

"I ask our kids every day, 'Hey, what are you selling me today, man? Positive energy or negative energy? You failed a test, you broke up with a girlfriend, what is it?' Because you're going to affect people positively or negatively, and you can't show disappointment. And it's great, man, because they hold me accountable too and can tell if I've had sort of a bad day or whatever, and they ask me trotting out to practice, 'whatcha sellin' me today, coach?'"

On recruiting (this is my favorite quote)

"You know, recruiting is great and all for these kids, but these services and all … with four stars and five stars … all that's great, but kids get into that so much and they're into it for the self-gratification and for the attention … and I'm telling you that we have to spend a whole year de-recruiting their ass once they get here. They have to know they're part of a team and they have to maybe relearn what that means, but you have to define what that is for them."

On working hard

"There's no other way, guys. You have to know what you're doing and then you have to have guys that want to put in the time. And you have to know that it's not going to be easy, and you're going to have to persevere, and most guys don't like that. Because it's your human condition to be average, but are you going to settle for that? And you can never feel entitled, and that's a huge challenge for not just the players but also sort of for us coaches too."

On knowing who you are (this is good)

"You know our players know, and many of our fans that follow us, that we really try to focus more on us and how we do things rather than what our opponent does. What our opponent does is really pretty technical, but doesn't really have anything to do with us. Whether we win is going to come down to what we do. Our ability to execute, our proper technique.

"I'll never forget fishing as an 11-yr-old in West Virginia and I'm fishing down by this lake where the hot water runs off from the coal mine, because that hot water is where the catfish like to hang out. And this guy is just sitting there pulling in huge catfish, but throwing them back, and then he'll catch smaller ones and keep them.

"And I'm not catching anything at all, but I'm like 'hey man, why do you keep those little ones and throw back those huge ones.' And his answer was 'because I've only got a 9-inch skillet.' See? You have to know who you are."

He also retold the story of the SEALs coming in before the LSU game last year and talking to them about dealing with adversity, that things just aren't going to go well all the time. And he firmly believes that's why, with 1:42 or whatever, they were prepared mentally to make that final drive and win the game.

Did he mention the part where no one is supposed to speak with him if they pass him in the hallway?

Reactions: zackbear
Living and working in Huntsville, Alabama, I get a lot of Emails from Bama fans and I thought this would be good to share with you all. This is one Bama fans comments on Sabans talk recently in Atlanta. I know Dolphin Fans hate Saban but I dont think he would have had much success in the Pros anyway. Too many vairables to deal with in the pros. I started to post it on the War Room but thought it would get too much negativity over there. Like him or not, he is a winner and will have more NC's than Bear Bryant ever thought about if he stays at Bama.

Friday night I had the opportunity to hear Saban speak at the Glazier 150 clinic in Atlanta. As always, a great experience to hear him speak and truly gain some insight on how and why the program is so successful. He gets invited to speak all over the country, of course, but it's obviously very strategic on his part to speak in front of Atlanta-area and Georgia HS coaches (there are 17 players from Georgia on the roster currently).

He was only allotted 50 minutes to speak, but he went about 30-35 minutes over. He spoke the first 40 minutes on philosophy, today's college football players, what it takes to run a great organization, etc., then gave a pretty good clinic talk on press man coverage and drills. Great stuff.

Here's some of the takes from the evening

"You may have heard recently about those four cats we had on the team who were in trouble recently. Coming off the season, we identified 5 kids on our team that were going to kill us as a team, in terms of not buying in, being held accountable, attitude and four of those five screwed up.

"In 5½ years we really haven't had one player get in any real trouble. That's rare and something we're proud of. But, sometimes you have to sort of prune the trees in order to get to the healthy part that makes it grow. And our team learned from this."

And later

"Coach Parcells, and he's had sort of a lot of success, you know he speaks at our clinic last year. And he tells us about a sign he posts in all the locker rooms he's coached at the Giants, the Cowboys, the Patriots and it says this: Dumb players do dumb things. Smart players seldom do dumb things. Which one are you? We like that, and guess where that's hanging now?"

"We're very detailed in how we define what people do here, whether it be a coordinator on down to the secretaries. And I think you have to define every role and every expectation, because it's chaos of you don't. It's impossible to be successful with consistency if you don't operate that way. I'm telling you ? it's impossible, guys.

"The first thing you have to do is, like I said, define everyone's role. When I was with Bill Belichick and the Cleveland Browns, he had everyone's role detailed and outlined for them. He had one sign in the building: Do YOUR job.

"The next thing you have to do is get the right guys on the bus. And then, if you have the wrong guys on the bus, whether they're players or coaches, guys, you have to get them the hell off the bus.

"We have two starters off last year's team that I know will kill us, and with their attitude and work ethic not being what it is, I've told them they're not going to be starters for this team unless things change. That's just how it is.

"Then you have to have everyone buy in and you have to have positive energy. You have to have positive energy and you have to know what you are doing and what your role is. If you're a coach we didn't hire you to be an independent contractor. We hired you to do things the way we do them here, because that's what works for us and it's been good for us."

More on positive energy

"I ask our kids every day, 'Hey, what are you selling me today, man? Positive energy or negative energy? You failed a test, you broke up with a girlfriend, what is it?' Because you're going to affect people positively or negatively, and you can't show disappointment. And it's great, man, because they hold me accountable too and can tell if I've had sort of a bad day or whatever, and they ask me trotting out to practice, 'whatcha sellin' me today, coach?'"

"You know, recruiting is great and all for these kids, but these services and all with four stars and five stars all that's great, but kids get into that so much and they're into it for the self-gratification and for the attention and I'm telling you that we have to spend a whole year de-recruiting their ass once they get here. They have to know they're part of a team and they have to maybe relearn what that means, but you have to define what that is for them."

On working hard

"There's no other way, guys. You have to know what you're doing and then you have to have guys that want to put in the time. And you have to know that it's not going to be easy, and you're going to have to persevere, and most guys don't like that. Because it's your human condition to be average, but are you going to settle for that? And you can never feel entitled, and that's a huge challenge for not just the players but also sort of for us coaches too."

"You know our players know, and many of our fans that follow us, that we really try to focus more on us and how we do things rather than what our opponent does. What our opponent does is really pretty technical, but doesn't really have anything to do with us. Whether we win is going to come down to what we do. Our ability to execute, our proper technique.

"I'll never forget fishing as an 11-yr-old in West Virginia and I'm fishing down by this lake where the hot water runs off from the coal mine, because that hot water is where the catfish like to hang out. And this guy is just sitting there pulling in huge catfish, but throwing them back, and then he'll catch smaller ones and keep them.

"And I'm not catching anything at all, but I'm like 'hey man, why do you keep those little ones and throw back those huge ones.' And his answer was 'because I've only got a 9-inch skillet.' See? You have to know who you are."

He also retold the story of the SEALs coming in before the LSU game last year and talking to them about dealing with adversity, that things just aren't going to go well all the time. And he firmly believes that's why, with 1:42 or whatever, they were prepared mentally to make that final drive and win the game.
Saban will have more NC's than Bryant because Bryant was there before the playoff format and was ripped-off several times. Good example was his 1966 team, coming off an NC title in '65, went 11-0 and was voted third behind Mich. St. an Notre Dame who had played to a 10-10 tie.

Here's some of the takes from the evening

"You may have heard recently about those four cats we had on the team who were in trouble recently. Coming off the season, we identified 5 kids on our team that were going to kill us as a team, in terms of not buying in, being held accountable, attitude and four of those five screwed up.

And later

"Coach Parcells, and he's had sort of a lot of success, you know he speaks at our clinic last year. And he tells us about a sign he posts in all the locker rooms he's coached at the Giants, the Cowboys, the Patriots and it says this: Dumb players do dumb things. Smart players seldom do dumb things. Which one are you? We like that, and guess where that's hanging now?"

"We have two starters off last year's team that I know will kill us, and with their attitude and work ethic not being what it is, I've told them they're not going to be starters for this team unless things change. That's just how it is.

"Then you have to have everyone buy in and you have to have positive energy. You have to have positive energy and you have to know what you are doing and what your role is. If you're a coach we didn't hire you to be an independent contractor. We hired you to do things the way we do them here, because that's what works for us and it's been good for us."

More on positive energy

"You know, recruiting is great and all for these kids, but these services and all with four stars and five stars all that's great, but kids get into that so much and they're into it for the self-gratification and for the attention and I'm telling you that we have to spend a whole year de-recruiting their ass once they get here. They have to know they're part of a team and they have to maybe relearn what that means, but you have to define what that is for them."

On working hard

DIDNT READ
FUK BAMA
FUK SABAN!
pfffy

Reactions: zackbear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT