ADVERTISEMENT

After 2 Games Against 2 Respectable Opponents, We Are Seeing An Identity For This Team.

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
Offense - Shaping to be the Offense that I thought. A spread offense with a primary focus on power running inside to set up more outside runs (Cam Harris outside run for a long TD) and open passes down the field (Swing Pass to Knighton for a long TD, Seam Pass to Brevin late for a long TD, other numerous looks). Many of you have been frustrated with some of the playcalling early in these two games with the inside runs/draws. That is all a SETUP by Rhett. Remember, we are running 65+ plays per game here. We will have plays which are mere "setup" plays to lure opposing defenses to THEN setup big yardage impact plays, and you guys saw that all last night. This is what Rhett did with SMU last year all year; the difference HERE is OUR roster is FULL of 4/5 star talent.

And King is the X-Factor who makes it all go with is incredible athleticism, leadership, and quality accuracy which was better than I expected last night. King is worth a good THREE wins this season- arguably the best "recruit" we have landed in the last 10 years; no joke. I hope he is here for another year. Now, there's going to be some series, even 1-2 games, where we look ineffective on Offense; that is inevitable. But we have an Offense now which we will be high octance, impactful, and successful. Very exciting!

Defense - Cautiously optomistic about what I saw last night. Yes, the Defense gave up 34 points. Yes, the Defense gave up over 500 yards of total offense. Yes, the Defense was gashed at times. Honestly, get used to it. This is NOT a talented Defense- this is a Defense with a few solid playmakers (Bolden, Blades, Phillips), a bunch of JAGs, and dangerously thin at CB. On top of that, I am still not sold on the Baker-Patke duo here in both coaching and recruiting.

But as I stated last night, this Defense DID make IMPACT plays. We held Louisville to 4-14 on 3rd Down. We forced THREE turnovers. We had SEVERAL sacks. We had 10+ tackles for loss. What I saw last night from the Defense is about what I expect from the Defense for the rest of the season: giving up 24-34 points per game with a ton of yardage, BUT making ENOUGH impact plays due to AGGRESSIVENESS in blitzing. No sense in getting butter knifed cut down the field; Defense will have to take chances and hope either a Sack, TFL, INT, Fumble, or Hurried Incomplete comes out of it.

With the Offense scoring 30+ per game and running a ton of plays, combined with solid FG kicking to give us an extra 3-9 points per game, this Defense can afford to give up some points. I expect a lot of 34-24 / 37-30 / 45-34 type of high er scoring games this year, which is a sharp contrast to last year- but that may ultimately work well for us en route to a sucecssful season.

I think we are seeing this team have its idenity, and I like it right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News