ADVERTISEMENT

Been Thinking About Greg Schiano As A HC Candidate To Replace Manny.

advarkas

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hometown: Coral Gables; Currently: Downtown FTL
I used to be very anti-Schiano for several years. He's a defensive guy; I wanted a young offensive innovative guy. He's a salty indvidual who has had friction at both the college and pro levels. He's someone who isn't known for being an elite recruiter.

But I've been thinking about him a lot more since the App State game.

In my opinion, Greg SHOULD be strongly considered as a Head Coach candidate, for several reasons:

(1) Affordable. I'm a huge fan of Mario, and would love to see him here. As of September 19, the chances of Mario coming here to replace Manny are slim to none, with none leading in the clubhouse. Lego Boy Blake's POS ass will be gone, along with Manny, but I have NO REASON to believe the BOT and University will allocate the necessary resources to hire a $6M-$9M head coach. So, as fans, we need to be realistic about who The U can AFFORD. Greg would cost around $4M-$5M per year, and that is both reasonable and realistic.

(2) Proven. Greg's record at Rutgers speaks for itslef, and the success which we had there is well documented. Averaging 7-5/8-4 at Rutgers is tantamount to averaging 10-2/11-1 at a major program. Consistently did more with less. He's off to a 3-0 start at Rutgers this year, and had a solid win over Dino Babers' Syracuse team. Greg was also the Coach of the Year in 2006.

(3) Player Development. During Greg's first regime at Rutgers, he had a REMARKABLE track record of PLAYER DEVELOPMENT, and sent several notable players to the NFL: Mohamed Sanu, Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Ray Rice, Kenny Britt, Logan Ryan, Jeremy Zuttah, Clark Harris, and about a dozen others. Again, this is Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey- not exactly an NFL football factory.

(4) Bowl Game Record. Miami's Bowl Game Record last 10 bowl games...? How about a disgraceful 1-9, with SIX of those nine losses being DOUBLE DIGIT losses. Greg's bowl record at Rutgers...? How about a remarkable 5-1, winning his last five in a row, which include bowl wins over K-State, Iowa State, UCF, and N.C. State. Again, by Rutgers' standards when he became HC, remarkable.

(5) NFL Connections. Greg was a defnsive assistant with the Bears early in his career, and of course more notably was the HC for the Bucanneers for two seasons. Greg did not have sustained success in the NFL, but he does have NFL experience and NFL connections. The University of Miami is an urban school in a huge media, business, and pro sports market. Schools like USC, UCLA, and Miami located in big cities like L.A. and Miami both feel bigger and ARE bigger jobs, in several respects, than Norman, Oklahoma, or Athens, Georgia. Howard (USFL), Dennis, and Butch ALL had some level of professional football experience, and Jimmy was obviously an NFL guy before he was an NFL guy.

(6) Age Bracket. Greg is 55 years old. Not too young; not too old. Carroll, Belichick, Mack Brown, and Saban are all either 70 or just short of 70. Coaches are coaching longer, and Greg is 55 young, experienced, and re-energized after taking several years off from football. Greg has been in coaching for more than 30 years, at various positional levels, and at both college and pro levels.

*EDIT ADD* (7) No Country Club Culture. Also, you can best believe there would be no country club culture with this Program, and all the lazy, half-assing, entitlement shitardery we have been witnessing for seemingly two decades. Greg is a no-nonsense guy, and maybe no-nonsense pissing off some players it what we need more of with this Program these days.

In my honest opinion, Greg checks off a LOT of boxes. Certainly, hiring a progressive OC and surrounding himself with solid recruiters/teachers would be essential, but Greg has been around enough to know. He is not necessarily my first choice, and we will start to see additional names surface as we move closer to firing both Lego Boy Blake and Manny, but I think Greg should certainly be on a list of 5-10 head coach candidates.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News