ADVERTISEMENT

Board libs do you support repeal of 2A?

Taking a life is taking a life. That is the difference in my mind. And let's not forget some people sentenced to death are innocent.
Seriously that’s a baseless comment. Has there ever been one person out to death that was later proven to be innocent? I’m curious now.

We are getting ready to adopt two. My wife had a very rough pregnancy with our first and couldn’t have anymore after. I know dozens here who are pro-life and have adopted children (almost all have more than one).
Congrats, I hope the process goes smoothly for you guys.

I have always been a pro choice guy. I still am, but my opinion has been swaying a little lately. I find it interesting that if a woman 2 months pregnant wants an abortion it is no problem suck it out and move on, but if a person kills a pregnant woman they are charged for the murder of the woman and the murder of the unborn child...legally it seems odd to me that both of these can be true.

Congrats, I hope the process goes smoothly for you guys.

I have always been a pro choice guy. I still am, but my opinion has been swaying a little lately. I find it interesting that if a woman 2 months pregnant wants an abortion it is no problem suck it out and move on, but if a person kills a pregnant woman they are charged for the murder of the woman and the murder of the unborn child...legally it seems odd to me that both of these can be true.
Yeah I brought that up at a staff briefing years ago when I was a detective and my Captain called me an asshole and told me to shut up lol. New guys should never talk at staff briefings.

Reactions: e_cushing
Bro, I'm not an expert on weapons/guns. But I'm sure folks from both sides could sit down and come to some reasonable agreements. Do you agree or you simply don't want to change anything?
I don't own a gun. But I believe in the 2nd amendment. Any measure to put forth common sense gun law that I have seen only looks to me to be an arbitrary first step to banning guns.

How about this. The first change to gun law is this:

Mandatory sentencing for gun law violations. Possession of an illegal gun or unlicensed gun 10 year minimum sentencing. How would the left feel about that?

Militias were state controlled groups who were made up by the common people to protect the people of the state from govt tyranny. The definition of militia has the same meaning as an avg citizen.

In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment did not protect weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia".

Numerous liberals are now coming out for an all out repeal of 2A. Back on task here. I would like to hear our boards libs defend this stance. I’m very curious why?

One reason may be that it would take the issue of gun ownership out of the realm of being a holy right and into the realm of standard public policy, just as it is in other advanced western nations where hunters and sportsmen seem to be active, but don't have out of control firearm murder rates. Once its there, the public could easily modify gun laws to meet the society's needs.

I don't own a gun. But I believe in the 2nd amendment. Any measure to put forth common sense gun law that I have seen only looks to me to be an arbitrary first step to banning guns.

Mandatory sentencing for gun law violations. Possession of an illegal gun 10 year minimum sentencing. How would the left feel about that?
Federal Law has a 10 year min/mandatory sentencing on possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. I used it often against gang members, who were felons, in possession of a firearm. Our local atf office was awesome to work with and would file the criminal complaint with the US Attorney on our behalf.

It runs on both sides and can be seen clearly.

Shhhhhh we are easing into education here
Deep State??? It's looney tunes hour. lol

NI0Nfd.gif

Seriously that’s a baseless comment. Has there ever been one person out to death that was later proven to be innocent? I’m curious now.

There have been at least 20 people on death row that have been exonerated of their crimes. You can do the research if you want to.

To me personally, a life is a life.

Seriously though, if you are looking to talk with someone about adoption let me know. If not, I won't be offended.

Reactions: Strack_Cane
Bro, I'm not an expert on weapons/guns. But I'm sure folks from both sides could sit down and come to some reasonable agreements. Do you agree or you simply don't want to change anything?
What type of expert?

One reason may be that it would take the issue of gun owner ship out of the realm of being a holy right and into the realm of standard public policy, just as it is in other advanced western nations where hunters and sportsmen seem to be active, but don't have out of control firearm murder rates. Once its there, the public could easily modify gun laws to meet the society's needs.
A lot that I wholly disagree with right there. It’s viewed as a holy right because of what history has taught us with disarmament and deaths that followed. Show me where other western nations have out of control murder rates from hunters and sportsmen.

There have been at least 20 people on death row that have been exonerated of their crimes. You can do the research if you want to.

Seriously though, if you are looking to talk with someone about adoption let me know. If not, I won't be offended.

The death penalty obviously doesn't work since murder continues with or without it, which should tell us a lot. Its simply a device to satisfy our biblical need for revenge and I suspect it will be done away with within the next generation and we will then be in line with every other advanced nation.

There’s an agency here we are going through. It’s ran by Steven Curtis Chapman and his family. Non profit and they’re fantastic

Reactions: andyctree
One of the problems you have is your constant belief that everyone is attacking your precious left. That is not the case and when I speak of the deep state is my reference to the corruption of the career politicians from both sides.

If you are referring to the bureaucracy or people left by every president I'm not buying it. Funny how this deep state nonsense only came about after the first Black president?

A lot that I wholly disagree with right there. It’s viewed as a holy right because of what history has taught us with disarmament and deaths that followed. Show me where other western nations have out of control murder rates from hunters and sportsmen.

The point is that other western nations don't. You can be a hunter in places like Canada, Norway, England, and other traditional western countries without any issues, and yet each of these countries aren't swimming in firearms out of a paranoid insecurity that everyone has to be armed out of fear of the unknown. Ultimately, countries should be able to modify any of their laws to meet the needs of society at any given time. Gun ownership, among many other issues, shouldn't be exempt from this.

Mandatory sentencing for gun law violations. Possession of an illegal gun or unlicensed gun 10 year minimum sentencing. How would the left feel about that?
I can work with you on that. But there's more to be done. For example, to my knowledge civilians can't own a tank. Why should they own "assault" type weapons? Now we're back to square one with the definition. Serious question. Do you really feel threaten that the end game is for guns to be taken away? BTW: I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT BANNING GUNS!!!!

Except for the death rates for accidents involving cel phone usage. Also DUI’s is still as big a problem as ever. Why don’t we ban vehicles? Hmmmmm.
First of all i believe i said no...not at all in regards to your question. So, why would you ask me why don't we ban vehicles when i said we do not remove the second amendment? I said improve it...and if you truely think doing things like requiring seat belts did not improve our fatality rate you honestly are delusional....and they phone usage is not banned federally. So what is the point of using this as a comparison? DUI's are NOT as big a problem as ever. You are wrong.

If guns should be banned because they are responsible for killing kids and abortions kill kids too, should we support a ban on the penis?

Reactions: CashvilleCane1
One of the problems you have is your constant belief that everyone is attacking your precious left. That is not the case and when I speak of the deep state is my reference to the corruption of the career politicians from both sides.
You are being naive if you think in today's environment that the right thinks the issue is on their side. From their point of view it's all Obama's hold overs (i.e. the left) Again, never heard of this until Trump came into office.

The point is that other western nations don't. You can be a hunter in places like Canada, Norway, England, and other traditional western countries without any issues, and yet each of these countries aren't swimming in firearms out of a paranoid insecurity that everyone has to be armed out of fear of the unknown. Ultimately, countries should be able to modify any of their laws to meet the needs of society at any given time. Gun ownership, among many other issues, shouldn't be exempt from this.
Not sure any of that means anything. I’ll dig into Canadian UCR stats and see what those say and get back to you.

I can work with you on that. But there's more to be done. For example, to my knowledge civilians can't own a tank. Why should they own "assault" type weapons? Now we're back to square one with the definition. Serious question. Do you really feel threaten that the end game is for guns to be taken away? BTW: I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT BANNING GUNS!!!!
Assault rifles is a made up term. There is no definition. It morphs into semi automatic weapons which would cover the vast majority of guns owned in the US.

The AR15 is the initial target of the anti gun lobby. The reason for this is simple. It looks scary. It looks like the gun that came in the package with the GI Joe figure we got when we're children. Like I said before, I'm not a gun guy, but I imagine that if that maniac in Florida had 2 nine millimeter hand guns and a couple spare clips he could just as easily killed those 17 people.

The second ammendment exists so that we can protect ourselves from our own government. Now can an AR15 put me on even footing with our wonderful US armed forces? Hell no, but if a large percentage of American Citizens are armed and willing to use those fire arms to stand up to tyranny it prevents the government from "bully" the citizenry. Knowing that people are armed and that they will have to kill a large portion of the population prevents a tyrannical government from getting out of line.

First, I do not speak on anyone but myself. Second, I think the words deep state may be a knew phrase but refers to our corrupt government that is lead by career politicians and the deep pockets keeping them in power.

You are being naive if you think in today's environment that the right thinks the issue is on their side. From their point of view it's all Obama's hold overs (i.e. the left) Again, never heard of this until Trump came into office.

First of all i believe i said no...not at all in regards to your question. So, why would you ask me why don't we ban vehicles when i said we do not remove the second amendment? I said improve it...and if you truely think doing things like requiring seat belts did not improve our fatality rate you honestly are delusional....and they phone usage is not banned federally. So what is the point of using this as a comparison? DUI's are NOT as big a problem as ever. You are wrong.
You just accidentally made my point. Look at Chicago for an example. Illegal to own a gun in the city limits and has one of the highest murder rates and violent crime rates with firearms in the country. By the way those aren’t primarily “assault weapons” being used lol.

Cems I would support eliminating some types of weapons if I thought it would do any good. But to me, it’s like banning 100 proof alcohol in an attempt the reduce drunk driving deaths.

You just accidentally made my point. Look at Chicago for an example. Illegal to own a gun in the city limits and has one of the highest murder rates and violent crime rates with firearms in the country. By the way those aren’t primarily “assault weapons” being used lol.
You are about to hear it’s Indiana’s fault

No, i didn't make your point. Chicago is a city. It isn't a federal law not to own assault riffles so take a wild guess where this is going. Yep....where my last comment went. It doesn't matter if you can bring in guns from Indiana if there is a local law.

You are about to hear it’s Indiana’s fault
Won’t matter where they get them, the root is from criminals crime comes forth. The point is criminal go out and steals these weapons 99% of the time. Also I have yet to see actual proof of that claim weapons are being imported in to Chicago from Indiana. Now Gary, In is a sh#thole... oops I mean not nice place but still.

Guess that little experiment back fired. Next time don't ask a question you are prepared for the answers. We all have our opinions and a solid basis for them.

Assault rifles is a made up term. There is no definition. It morphs into semi automatic weapons which would cover the vast majority of guns owned in the US.

The AR15 is the initial target of the anti gun lobby. The reason for this is simple. It looks scary. It looks like the gun that came in the package with the GI Joe figure we got when we're children. Like I said before, I'm not a gun guy, but I imagine that if that maniac in Florida had 2 nine millimeter hand guns and a couple spare clips he could just as easily killed those 17 people.

The second ammendment exists so that we can protect ourselves from our own government. Now can an AR15 put me on even footing with our wonderful US armed forces? Hell no, but if a large percentage of American Citizens are armed and willing to use those fire arms to stand up to tyranny it prevents the government from "bully" the citizenry. Knowing that people are armed and that they will have to kill a large portion of the population prevents a tyrannical government from getting out of line.
I am with with you and fully understand the issues with a possible tyrannical government. Are you opposed to raising the age limit to 21 although I have concerns as it relates to military and police officials? However, I think I could justify not allowing either until age 21. What about Obama's mental illness law Trump rolled back baring mentally ill'ed people from getting guns? It s/b reinstated? What about no guns for folks on the No Fly list? It s/b a law.

No, i didn't make your point. Chicago is a city. It isn't a federal law not to own assault riffles so take a wild guess where this is going. Yep....where my last comment went. It doesn't matter if you can bring in guns from Indiana if there is a local law.
Whether it be state law, federal law, a city ordinance. There’s not really much of a difference. The fact a municipality has banned firearms yet has one of the highest crime rates in the country should speak for itself. Look at New Orleans. The gun restriction in California have done nothing to prevent the murder rate from staying on par.

Hell those numbers from 2017 would be even hire if not for advancements in medical treatment and that’s a documented fact.

Won’t matter where they get them, the root is from criminals crime comes forth. The point is criminal go out and steals these weapons 99% of the time. Also I have yet to see actual proof of that claim weapons are being imported in to Chicago from Indiana. Now Gary, In is a sh#thole... oops I mean not nice place but still.
We offer solutions for criminals. We don't just say oh well. They are criminals. Criminals gonna criminal. We try to make things better. You don't make things better looking for excuses. Things only get worst. More of our kids only get shot. More of our youth only shot and kill each other and there just more guns that our law enforcement have to worry about on the streets they have to protect themselves from. We don't just sit around and say oh well. Nothing we can do so let the criminals steal guns they need.

I am with with you and fully understand the issues with a possible tyrannical government. Are you opposed to raising the age limit to 21 although I have concerns as it relates to military and police officials? However, I think I could justify not allowing either until age 21. What about Obama's mental illness law Trump rolled back baring mentally ill'ed people from getting guns? It s/b reinstated? What about no guns for folks on the No Fly list? It s/b a law.
I just bought a new handgun laboutbtwo weeks ago. All mental health questions are still on the form. Where the holes are is with mental health facilities not reporting as state mandates.

Reactions: Cane919
No law can protect people from people that want to do bad things.

Until people change their ways, things like this will always happen.

It might not happen with a gun, but if they want to do harm they will find a way.

Not sure any of that means anything. I’ll dig into Canadian UCR stats and see what those say and get back to you.

Here you go. Highest firearm homicide rate, highest total homicide rate. About 5 times as high as Canada (among other places).

gun-death-rates-chart.jpg

Whether it be state law, federal law, a city ordinance. There’s not really much of a difference. The fact a municipality has banned firearms yet has one of the highest crime rates in the country should speak for itself. Look at New Orleans. The gun restriction in California have done nothing to prevent the murder rate from staying on par.

Hell those numbers from 2017 would be even hire if not for advancements in medical treatment and that’s a documented fact.
Yes there is a difference and it is pretty huge.

We offer solutions for criminals. We don't just say oh well. They are criminals. Criminals gonna criminal. We try to make things better. You don't make things better looking for excuses. Things only get worst. More of our kids only get shot. More of our youth only shot and kill each other and there just more guns that our law enforcement have to worry about on the streets they have to protect themselves from. We don't just sit around and say oh well. Nothing we can do so let the criminals steal guns they need.
Nobody is saying that and you’re now talking in circles.

Here’s why I am glad citizens are armed. A perfect example of how this good for law enforcement:
http://archive.bluelivesmatter.blue/deputy-dean-bardes/

Dean passed away a few months ago but he was in my first academy classes I ever taught.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT