ADVERTISEMENT

Controversial Former Walk-on Now on Scholarship after Shalala Involvement

Joer

SuperCane
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2002
Crescent Beach, FL
www.jmrubinoconsulting.com
CaneSport has learned exclusively that the Miami Hurricanes Cheerleading Team has placed a controversial, former walk-on on full scholarship. Reportedly, this has occurred at the request of former school President and now Congresswoman Donna Shalala (D) Miami, who made the request personally to the University's Office of Diversity. The congresswoman refused an interview with CaneSport on Sunday, after she had been on campus for a series of private meetings in the women's athletic dorms.

The young lady involved in this story is a U of M student named Alexis Gonzalez-Cortez. She is a former walk-on cheerleader who once worked as a bartender. She tended bar in Miami for about two months until the bar went out of business after raising their wait staff's wages to $15.00/hr.

Called "AGC" by her friends, she is a local product who learned about social issues from her parents while growing up in the middle-class Miami neighborhood of Star Island. She has now been placed on scholarship after formally protesting to the school that all cheerleaders should be treated equally. Especially minorities from distressed neighborhoods, such as are found a mile away from her street in Coconut Grove where she currently lives.

Despite her now being on scholarship, she is still concerned about campus inequities. AGC agreed to this interview with CaneSport which was conducted outside the pool cabana behind her gated rental home.

In this CaneSport exclusive, AGC made the following comments:

* On Her Cheering Skills- If and when I decide to cheer during games this year, I will be watching the stands and, like, I will tell everyone right now, that fans who don't, like, cheer for me will be put on a list and their names will be published!! In fact, if any of those fans who do not clap for me are local businesses owners, I will call for their businesses to be boycotted.

* On the Subject of Fairness- I always promote fairness and Hurricane fans who do not treat me fairly by cheering for me as loudly as they cheer for others, or who don't LOOK at me as much as they look at other cheerleaders, will be put on notice and then doxxed! I will have people in the stands taking photos. I'm the Boss! Boom!!

* On the Subject of Effort & Commitment to Team- You know, some things, like, have to change. We cannot go on this way. People are Dying!! Some cheerleaders should be able to cheer when they want to cheer. While I understand there should be a lot of cheering if the Canes just scored a home run, or that other thing where they take the ball away from the people they are playing with but, like, other times it's not as important. If there are 16 of us, and 9 or 10 are cheering, the others can take a break, right? I mean, like, what's the big deal? I mean, there are more important things to worry about. People are Dying!

* On the Subject of Priorities in Life- I will also be proposing that, if they choose, some scholarship cheerleaders should not have to show up for games. This Rock Stadium thing is, like, very far from campus, and my mother's yard man told her it's not far from a tough neighborhood. So why should I have to go? Plus, I heard the games are on Saturday! That is ridiculous! Why does the University of Miami insist on taking away our only Saturday night of the week! Especially in this era of Climate Change! I mean, like, we only have a few years left on earth!

CaneSport will be following this important story. We do not want people to die.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News