ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive coherence

sabrose

SuperCane
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2006
You can argue defensively that we haven't had as much talent as we would like over the past few years. To me though I have not had a sense that our defense had a collective intelligence to it. Running to the ball is fine but it doesn't work when coaches plan misdirection plays.
Obviously this stems from the head coach .We were embarrassed by Clemson with misdirection and embarrassed by UNC because they ran right at us yet Manny continued to push his DE's up the field. I am hoping that the new coaches ,particularly Shoop in pregame analysis could make a difference in how we adjust to different teams styles.
Also our defensive backs seemed poorly coached regarding ball skills and our linebackers couldn't seem to cover the Pillsbury Doughboy. I am hoping that we see palpable improvement there with the new coaches . I hope Flagg can show progress in his physical attributes and defensive calls. We desperately need that. I hope Huff can figure out what to do on the field and make the most out of his considerable athletic attributes. I hope Sam Burns can stay healthy and contribute . I hope Leonard Taylor can give us quality depth. I am not worried about the safety position.
This coming season will go as the defense goes IMO . Last year was pretty poor . But there is a real chance at significant improvement. I am not as skeptical of the DE position as Gary is . I think they will play well.

Reactions: gamecane1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News