ADVERTISEMENT

Grand Rapids Mi. cop kills man over minor traffic stop

central17

SuperCane
Jan 31, 2005
This has a bad look. White cop kills black man. The man was a Legal immigrant from the Congo. Questions whether he understood police instructions. But once again, cops are acting as bounty hunters for small dollars that government demands from its citizens. The dead man had an expired tag. He was not a suspect in a vehicular homicide or any other true crime. Like Eric Garner killed because he was selling cigarettes that New York City was not getting it mafia style honorarium from. There may be more to this than the articles tell. But isn't it time we have the police protect the citizens from true criminals, not act as tax collection goons for democrat city and state governments? Michigan Democrat Governor Gretchen Whitmer (now that Coumo is gone the nation's worst governor) should be held accountable for this as well as the cop.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lice-shooting-patrick-lyoya-video/7316283001/

Hold on ...
The cop asked if he spoke English, guy said yes
He kept telling the guy to get in the car
Guy refused and was generally uncooperative
They tussled .
Guy grabbed the cops Taser
Cop protected himself from being Tazzed
Don’t see how this is the cops fault
I don’t care where he came from
You follow police directions
You don’t physically resist
You don’t grab tasers
The article is slanted ( surprising!)
It wasn’t a small mistake
Fighting cops is not a small mistake
Now the haters like Breonna Taylor’s mom and Ben Crump are out race hating , trying to turn this into a racial issue

Hold on ...
They tussled .
You don’t grab tasers
Now the haters like Breonna Taylor’s mom and Ben Crump are out race hating , trying to turn this into a racial issue
Cops should not be acting as the taxman's bounty hunter. As a decent society no citizens should have the ability to shoot another over an expired tag. If a cop does not have the judgement to understand the difference they should not be entrusted by the public. The man is DEAD over an expired tag.

Cops should not be acting as the taxman's bounty hunter. As a decent society no citizens should have the ability to shoot another over an expired tag. If a cop does not have the judgement to understand the difference they should not be entrusted by the public. The man is DEAD over an expired tag.
He’s not dead because of an expired tag
He’s dead because he resisted a cop and grabbed a taser .
Big big difference

He’s not dead because of an expired tag
He’s dead because he resisted a cop and grabbed a taser .
Big big difference
Watch the film. The dead man was face down, cops knee was on his back and shot him at point blank range in the back of the head.

Mr Lyoya shouldn't have walked away but there are some segments missing from the video. That is what the media reported. Why did they do that? Defenitely a red flag. He was driving a vehicle with liscense plates not registered to the vehicle he was driving but how does a traffic stop end tragically? Mr Lyoya was in this country legally. Was the car registered to him or was he driving a friend's or acquitance's car? There was also a companion in the car at the time of the traffic stop. This happened in Grand Rapids, MI. The GR PD has a history of police violence towards minorities. Are the cops or have the cops planted weapons, drug paraphernalia in the car while the companion was speaking to police?

Mr Lyoya shouldn't have walked away but there are some segments missing from the video. That is what the media reported. Why did they do that? Defenitely a red flag. He was driving a vehicle with liscense plates not registered to the vehicle he was driving but how does a traffic stop end tragically? Mr Lyoya was in this country legally. Was the car registered to him or was he driving a friend's or acquitance's car? There was also a companion in the car at the time of the traffic stop. This happened in Grand Rapids, MI. The GR PD has a history of police violence towards minorities. Are the cops or have the cops planted weapons, drug paraphernalia in the car while the companion was speaking to police?
All assumptions why not wait for all the facts for once instead of believing everything you read in a agenda written story that conveniently connects the dots for you.

All assumptions why not wait for all the facts for once instead of believing everything you read in a agenda written story that conveniently connects the dots for you.
More than one source reported the entire video wasnt complete and about the storied history of the GR PD. Also lets hope if other officers arrived their body cams were on all the time which has to include footage of the companion being questioned, from the time he the questioning began till the time the companion got cuffed or released.

Its a sad situation. The Cop should have asked for backup right off the bat as he didn't have a partner.. Mr Lyoya didnt seem to respect the officer's directions and didn't produce a license or registration and then started to run. He was acting on the surface like he knew he broke some law and didnt wan't to be arrested. It didnt mean the officer should have shot him . I would also like to know how the cop knew the plates didnt match the car. Did he randomly run a trace on the guy's license plate or was he given specific info as to who had the car?
A lot of Cops have recently died in the line of duty and their fear of the current climate towards them makes them more likely to use a gun. Its a vicious cycle going on now. All the more reason to comply with a cop's requests when stopped.

Its a sad situation. The Cop should have asked for backup right off the bat as he didn't have a partner.. Mr Lyoya didnt seem to respect the officer's directions and didn't produce a license or registration and then started to run. He was acting on the surface like he knew he broke some law and didnt wan't to be arrested. It didnt mean the officer should have shot him . I would also like to know how the cop knew the plates didnt match the car. Did he randomly run a trace on the guy's license plate or was he given specific info as to who had the car?
A lot of Cops have recently died in the line of duty and their fear of the current climate towards them makes them more likely to use a gun. Its a vicious cycle going on now. All the more reason to comply with a cop's requests when stopped.
Everything you said was true. But if we are releasing convicted murderers and rapists without bail, why are cops getting physical over routine traffic stops, no less shooting a guy in the back of the head? With all the crime problems this country has, let's give traffic stop government fund raising a rest. That alone would eliminate 50% of the questionable police shootings. One cop killed by a dirtbag criminal is too many. But one confused or scared (but innocent of any serious crime) motorist killed at a traffic stop is also one too many.

Cop stops a driver, driver gets out of the car. They start talking and it goes back and forth. The driver, Patrick Lyoya asked the officer what he did wrong. The cop asks for his DL. From the very beginning there is a communication issue. The driver has an accent, seems to be from Central Africa. The cop is fully aware of the communication issue to the point he asks do you speak English. Lyoya pauses for a moment and answers yes. Lyoya is concerned what he did. He asks "what did I do?" Cop replies "the tag doesnt match the vehicle." This is an answer Lyoya doesnt understand. Its pretty clear from the video because he asks. The cop asks "do you have a license?" Lyoya replies Yes. "where is it?" In the car. "Go get it." Lyoya asks his passenger/ companion for his license. The passenger cant find it. Lyoya starts towards the front of the vehicle then heads to the drivers side to get his license, at which point the officer yells "No, no. Stop," whatever. The officer approaches Lyoya from behind without an actual command, grabs Lyoya from behind. To be clear the officer initiated the violence. Not Lyoya. When you grab someone from behind , especially by surprise you trigger fight, flight or freeze. After a brief tussel where the officer is unable to take Lyoya to the ground, Lyoya breaks free and this is where you get to find out does it trigger fight, flight or freeze. Lyoya doesnt turn around and pummel the cop, it seems pretty clear he was totally capable of doing so because he shrugged the cop off. That's not what he did. He ran. So if your the cop whats the smart move? You have someone who you could not take down, from behind and by surprise. Since Lyoya ran, let him run. wait for backup, thats the smart move.
Some folks will say "what if runs away?" He has an accent that isnt from north of our border or south of our border. He flew to get here, we have his prints. We have his car, probably his keys, his ID and his passenger. Get him later, he shouldnt be to hard to find. Thats the smart move but thats not what the cop did. The cop takes off running after him. Jumps on Lyoya from behind again. This whole time the commands are DONT, STOP, STOP RESISTING, stuff like that. In a high stress situation the might as well yell "flat tire." It means nothing, you have to give actual commands. Its best to tell them to do something rather than dont do something because a biological response has been triggered. STOP means nothing. No means nothing. So the cop ends up on Lyoya's back, finally realizing he should give a command. And with Lyoya on the ground, in basically a pushup position with both arms extended and with the cop on his back the command the cop gives is PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK. That is not a command that can be complied with. Gravity has something to say about that. So again Lyoya gets up and breaks free and understand when Lyoya breaks free he isnt hitting the cop. He is literally shrugging the cop off. The cop kneed Lyoya a few times but still Lyoya has not responded with violence. He takes off running again. Cop catches him again. This time cop pulls a taser. Lyoya grabs the taser and pulls it away from him and says "I didnt do anything to you." Cop attempts to deploy the taser. It doesnt do anything and both fall to the ground again. At this point the cop says "drop the taser, let go of the taser." The cop then reaches back to his gun belt, pulls his pistol and shoots Lyoya at the base of the skull while on the ground. During this time the passenger has gotten out of the vehicle and during the scuffle yells at the cop "You can talk to him." To which the cop yells back"NO."
Given everything that is on the video its my perception this officer escalated unnecessarily every possible opportunity. He did not do the smart move, did not follow the best practices.

Hold on ...
They tussled .
You don’t grab tasers
Correct. I am still unsure as to why some peeps still think it will end well when you resist. It never does. It never will despite how many riots there are. DO AS YOU ARE TOLD WHEN DETAINED.

Correct. I am still unsure as to why some peeps still think it will end well when you resist. It never does. It never will despite how many riots there are. DO AS YOU ARE TOLD WHEN DETAINED.
This situation may have followed a harrowing experience by the responding officer. Police often have to go pillar to post. In a single shift an officer responds to a fender bender, then a domestic disturbance, a shoplifting incident, then a situation involving guns, a traffic stop. We may never know but its obvious the officer lacked communications skills. He did not ask for registration, insurance when he asked Lyoya for his DL.
This unfortunately will not end well from a legal standpoint. Im the officers defense team will argue "Lyoya grabbed the taser thus the officers life was in danger. This may swing the pendulum in the officers favor. Im hoping Im wrong but I think this is what the result will be.

This situation may have followed a harrowing experience by the responding officer. Police often have to go pillar to post. In a single shift an officer responds to a fender bender, then a domestic disturbance, a shoplifting incident, then a situation involving guns, a traffic stop. We may never know but its obvious the officer lacked communications skills. He did not ask for registration, insurance when he asked Lyoya for his DL.
This unfortunately will not end well from a legal standpoint. Im the officers defense team will argue "Lyoya grabbed the taser thus the officers life was in danger. This may swing the pendulum in the officers favor. Im hoping Im wrong but I think this is what the result will be.
Yeah. I guess that's a reasonable defense when a criminal is reaching for an officer's belt buckle.

Yeah. I guess that's a reasonable defense when a criminal is reaching for an officer's belt buckle.
Yeah it was a tragic result.
Perhaps it could have been handled better by the cop to diffuse the situation
But bottom line is you cooperate with cops
You don’t tussle with them
Even if they grab your shoulder to restrain you don’t run or wrestle with them
And never grab the weapons cop carry
Cops do not sign up to be tased by uncooperative motorists
The cop was in fear of serious injury as the guy was grabbing his Taser. Thus he had a right to use defend himself.

We dont know if Lyoya is a criminal. The license plate didnt match the vehicle. Ok, but Lyoya asked "what did I do wrong?" Was the vehicle registered to him or was he driving the vehicle that belonged to an acquaintance, family member, friend? He wasnt aware the plates didnt match the vehicle. As I mentioned earlier there was a huge communication gap almost from the beginning. A better approach or the right approach from the officer would be to give the command " I need to see your DL, registration. Im stopping you because the plates do not match the vehicle." The registration will confirm what the correct License plate is.

We dont know if Lyoya is a criminal. The license plate didnt match the vehicle. Ok, but Lyoya asked "what did I do wrong?" Was the vehicle registered to him or was he driving the vehicle that belonged to an acquaintance, family member, friend? He wasnt aware the plates didnt match the vehicle. As I mentioned earlier there was a huge communication gap almost from the beginning. A better approach or the right approach from the officer would be to give the command " I need to see your DL, registration. Im stopping you because the plates do not match the vehicle." The registration will confirm what the correct License plate is.
The perp was worse than a criminal. He was an animal that should not be walking the streets.

The perp was worse than a criminal. He was an animal that should not be walking the streets.
Why do you brand him as a criminal? It was the cop who drew the taser. Lyoya did not grab the taser out of the officers holster. Lyoya grabbed the taser and pulled it away from himself and said to the cop "I didnt do anything to you." In this country you are innocent till proven guilty. You can bet law enforcement in Grand rapids, MI will try to slant this incident in their favor.

Why do you brand him as a criminal? It was the cop who drew the taser. Lyoya did not grab the taser out of the officers holster. Lyoya grabbed the taser and pulled it away from himself and said to the cop "I didnt do anything to you." In this country you are innocent till proven guilty. You can bet law enforcement in Grand rapids, MI will try to slant this incident in their favor.
Hawaiian Cane dont argue with these fools. Its funny they didn't defend the Capital Police.

Reactions: hawaiian cane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT