ADVERTISEMENT

Have you guys noticed a trend on bank / restaurant fees?

HJCane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2007
I sell Real Estate> I bank with BOA. I receive commission inbound wires all the time whether from Title Companies or my Brokerage . All of a sudden I noticed that BOA is hitting me for $15 wire fee everytime I get a wire. I blasted them told them I'm not paying you to DEPOSIT money in my account. They erase them but I can't get them to remove future fees off my account.
I never had this before so everytime I get a fee I have to call. I am not open to switching Banks it would be a pain in the azz.

Now restaurants are doing 2 things I've noticed. They can't keep raising prices so they are charging fees to eat there and / or pay with credit or debit cards. They also now have signs that you will get a discount if you pay cash.

This economy is just ROBBING people left and right.

Reactions: grbcane
Every time I go out it's $150-200 especially if I have a few cocktails.
I’ve picked up a side gig bartending for a caterer. It’s turned out to be fairly lucrative but now I’ve fallen into the trap of stopping somewhere after my events are over. Flanigans is costing me 50 a visit. This happens maybe 4-5 a month.

• Haha
Reactions: grbcane and HJCane
No there is not.
Did your surgeon mention “cocktails” as a possible remedy for your back pain? I’m guessing that they would distract you from your pain and maybe reduce it just a bit.

Ordered a Perfect Manhattan last night at my local joint (walking distance) as I put in my order for dinner to go. They know me and don’t fire up my order until I’m 2/3 done with the cocktail. At that point, they put in the order and have me sign the check so that I can immediately exit when the drink is done and the food is ready. Home in 2 minutes.

This kind of routine takes practice. Getting the correct play call and timing of my precise routes are critical

Reactions: dolcane
The best thing and the worst thing about alcohol is it's remarkable ability to kill pain.-physical and emotional.

Did your surgeon mention “cocktails” as a possible remedy for your back pain? I’m guessing that they would distract you from your pain and maybe reduce it just a bit.

Ordered a Perfect Manhattan last night at my local joint (walking distance) as I put in my order for dinner to go. They know me and don’t fire up my order until I’m 2/3 done with the cocktail. At that point, they put in the order and have me sign the check so that I can immediately exit when the drink is done and the food is ready. Home in 2 minutes.

This kind of routine takes practice. Getting the correct play call and timing of my precise routes are critical
Practice makes perfect.

Reactions: HJCane
I sell Real Estate> I bank with BOA. I receive commission inbound wires all the time whether from Title Companies or my Brokerage . All of a sudden I noticed that BOA is hitting me for $15 wire fee everytime I get a wire. I blasted them told them I'm not paying you to DEPOSIT money in my account. They erase them but I can't get them to remove future fees off my account.
I never had this before so everytime I get a fee I have to call. I am not open to switching Banks it would be a pain in the azz.

Now restaurants are doing 2 things I've noticed. They can't keep raising prices so they are charging fees to eat there and / or pay with credit or debit cards. They also now have signs that you will get a discount if you pay cash.

This economy is just ROBBING people left and right.
If these are true wire transfer's the $15 is standard. Have no desire to go into banking system root canal, but there is a lot going into a true wire transfer. The sender probably should look at ACH which is next day and typically no bank charges. But for titles, it would not surprise me if wire is a "legal safety documentation". Of course in a broad discussion, PayPal, ApplePay, Zelle etc. are included.

I'm afraid this is just the beginning. I've dealt with two things at work this week that are making me feel like it's about to pop.
First, I ordered some semi-tractors. Nothing special, simple tandem axle day-cab tractors. The same kind you see every grocery and restaurant vendor using. Coke, pepsi, beer companies, restaurant supply companies, and the grocery chains themselves. Three years ago they were $114k, this time $140k. Delivery is expected at the end of Q1 2023, damn near a year. Forklifts to load them are an 8 month lead time. As equipment breaks down, and can't be replaced, availability and prices are going to get worse.
Second, diesel. My company purchases about 3 times a month, 6,000 to 7,500 gallons. In April our average purchase price was $3.81. The shipment this week was $5.05. The conversations about price increases the size of which I've never seen in 33 years in the business are well under way. By September there will be serious jumps to compensate for these squeezes.
Every little aspect of the economy will feel it.

Are the microwaving your supper? Why not dine in and have another?

I'm good for a Scotch or 2- or a vodka martini.

If these are true wire transfer's the $15 is standard. Have no desire to go into banking system root canal, but there is a lot going into a true wire transfer. The sender probably should look at ACH which is next day and typically no bank charges. But for titles, it would not surprise me if wire is a "legal safety documentation". Of course in a broad discussion, PayPal, ApplePay, Zelle etc. are included.
I just set up a transfer from my BOA checking (personal) into 1 of my Brokerage accounts. The bank offered 3 choices same day $30, within 1 day $10 or up to 3 days $3. Those were my choices. An inbound wire came in they charged $15 but then waived it under some sort of Preffered Rewards Program I must be enrolled in.
My understanding was the movement of money electronically was a cost saving and efficiency development VS paper checks etc........

The $15 charge was for INBOUND wires my charge for the deposit. Couple that with whatever the Sender paid in fees.

I'm afraid this is just the beginning. I've dealt with two things at work this week that are making me feel like it's about to pop.
First, I ordered some semi-tractors. Nothing special, simple tandem axle day-cab tractors. The same kind you see every grocery and restaurant vendor using. Coke, pepsi, beer companies, restaurant supply companies, and the grocery chains themselves. Three years ago they were $114k, this time $140k. Delivery is expected at the end of Q1 2023, damn near a year. Forklifts to load them are an 8 month lead time. As equipment breaks down, and can't be replaced, availability and prices are going to get worse.
Second, diesel. My company purchases about 3 times a month, 6,000 to 7,500 gallons. In April our average purchase price was $3.81. The shipment this week was $5.05. The conversations about price increases the size of which I've never seen in 33 years in the business are well under way. By September there will be serious jumps to compensate for these squeezes.
Therein lays the problem. Increases in costs to mfg. transport etc......directly flow to the cost to consumer.

In the marine fabrication biz …. Here’s some examples of mine ( I’ll compare my April prices to todays prices :

3” foam ( 48x96 sheet ) $92 in April , $291 now
Starboard sheet …. $221 in April , $615 now
Sunbrella ( per yard ) $13.46 in April , $18.85 now
7/8” Stainless tubing @ 20’ $49 in April , $92 now
And on and on and on

And guess who eats these insane price increases …. My customers … whom in turn , my customers will up their prices / fees and such in their business …, IMO , this is non sustainable and something gotta give …epic shit storm could truly be ahead which I could of never imagined … scary times

In the marine fabrication biz …. Here’s some examples of mine ( I’ll compare my April prices to todays prices :

And on and on and on

And guess who eats these insane price increases …. My customers … whom in turn , my customers will up their prices / fees and such in their business …, IMO , this is non sustainable and something gotta give …epic shit storm could truly be ahead which I could of never imagined … scary times
Exactly. Freaking insane

Reactions: grbcane and kimzkr

And on and on and on

Damn, those are some serious jumps.

Yeah stuff is getting really pricey.

I was talking to a Democrat party official last week and he was complaining how much more it cost now to pay people off.

Reactions: grbcane and kimzkr
@HJ: 31+ years of residential mortgages here with 10+ in banking before that....First mistake is banking with BOA, but I digress. The Fed charges its member banks for the wire, hence your $15 fee. If a local deal. why not attend the closing, thank your client and get your check. If not local, have the Closing Agent FEDEX it to you. But that won't work because BOA will put a multi-day HOLD on the deposited item.
Suggestion....Change banks....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT