ADVERTISEMENT

Here's Your Baseball Fix: ACC Tourney Preview - News, Stats and More...

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Greeting, Baseball Caniacs......and Happy Wednesday to U....

I meant to post this Tuesday but to help U with your Miami Hurricane Baseball fix ...I thought I would give U the following information, stats and more to help fill the void until Thursday afternoon's tournament opener vs Virginia

So here goes.....and enjoy!

Polls

In the 5 major polls, we are ranked 17 or better...

(Graphic: Courtesy UM)

Read:
Canes Baseball Heads to ACCs in Top 15 (UM Link)

As far as the RPI and SOS, since these numbers are also driven by teams we have played, these numbers will fluctuate, even when we don't play. But when we do, AND,if we keep winning, our numbers should improve because of the competition level.

RPI

ncaa.com and warrennolan.com both list Miami at No. 18. ncaa.org had ut No. `7 last week.

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE (SOS)

warrennolan.com has us at No. 30

ACC INDIVIDUAL STATS (Courtesy: theacc.com)

PITCHING
No. 7: Brian Van Belle (8-2) 3.29 ERA
No. 10: Chris McMahon (3-2) 3.70 ERA
No. 22: Slade Cecconi (5-3) 4.21 ERA
No. 24: Evan McKendry (6-3) 4.58 ERA

BATTING (Starting Lineup)

No. 3: J.P. Gates, 366
No. 22: Raymond Gil, .326
No. 25: Adrian Del Castillo, 324
No. 37: Michael Amditis, .308
No. 51: Freddy Zamora, .293
No. 57: Anthony Vilar, .286
No. 61 Jordan Lala, 283
No. 66: Alex Zamora, .281
No. 102: Tony Jenkins .256
*I think with Gabe Rivera out, we don't have a player in the top 142 listed that has enough ABs like Crosbie.
**Earlier in the season, 7 of our 9 batters were hitting .300+

FIELDING

Out of 110 players listed, 2 of the bottom 3 fielders are UM players:
108: Miami SS Freddy Zamora with a fielding % of 0.878 with 21 Es
109. Miami 3B Raymond Gil with a fielding % of 0.864 and 15 Es.
1 other player in the ACC has 22 Es, another 17 Es

ACC TEAM STATS (Courtesy: theacc.com)

PITCHING

1.) Louisville: 3.65 ERA
2.) NCST 3.86 ERA
3.) Miami 3.87

BATTING

1.) Georgia Tech:.298
2.) Louisville: .296 (being held to 3 hits Wwed by BC knocked them out of 1st
3.) Virginia: .295
4.) Miami: .292

FIELDING

1.) NCST 0.981
2.) Virginia 0.979
3.) Louisville 0.977
No. 13. Miami 0.961
No. 14 Pitt 0.960 (last place)

ALL-ACC BASEBALL TEAM SELECTIONS

(Graphic: Courtesy UM)

RS JR C Michael Amditis, FR OF Adrian Del Castillo, RS JR P Brian Van Belle were named All-ACC Second Team while SOPH 3B Raymond Gil was named ALL-ACC Third Team.

2019 All-ACC Baseball Teams
Player of the Year – Bobby Seymour, Wake Forest
Pitcher of the Year – Reid Detmers, Louisville
Defensive Player of the Year – Will Wilson, NC State
Freshman of the Year – Aaron Sabato, UNC (Del Castillo? But Sabato had 13 HRs))
Coach of the Year – Danny Hall, Georgia Tech (voting wise, where did Coach G finish?)

Read: Four Hurricanes Named to All-ACC Baseball Teams (UM Link)

2019 NCAA Baseball Postseason

ACC Tournament - Durham Bulls Athletic Park, Durham, NC

10 Teams, 4 Pools (A, B, C, D) Tues May 21-Sun 26 (RSN & ACCN Extra/Watch ESPN/ESPN2)

Pool D: Miami, North Carolina, Virginia

Thurs: Game 8 UM vs UVA, 3 pm
Fri: Game 11 UNC vs UM 3 pm
Sat. Semifinal 1: 1 pm / Semifinal 2: 5 pm
Sun. Championship: 12 Noon ESPN2

Read: Van Belle to Start ACC Championship Opener (UM Link)

BC TAKES DOWN TOP SEEDED LOUISVILLE IN ACC TOURNAMENT

BTW, I posted this earlier today...we got a major gift from 12th-seed Boston College when they upset top-seed Louisville 5-1 earlier Wednesday in a HUGE upset. BCs starting P had never pitched a complete game but he did today against the No. 7 ranked team in the country. Not only that, he held Louisville to only 3 hits, their lowest number of the year. What this means is that if we advance to the semis on Saturday, we won't face Louisville but BC. To that end, we shouldn't discount the Eagles as an afterthought. They have gotten hot at the right time and while we play the next 2 days, BC will have those days to rest.

On that note...the way the ACC has their tournament set up, how is it an advantage to have the first 2 days off vs playing early and then have 2 days off before the semis and the finals? It seems to me the lower-seeded teams have the advantage over higher seeded teams that have early byes. Don't U agree?

BTW, BC is not the first 12th seed to reach the semis...Pitt did it last year.

BTW2, In Game 5 of the tourney, 2nd-seed GT beat 11th seed ND 12-6 in the second game today. GT now plays 7th-seed Duke on Friday at 11 am to determine the winner of Pool B.

BTW3, if we finish tied 1-1 with UVA and UNC...we advance to the semis because we are the highest seed in our pool. Same goes for GT or NCST. At 2-0, BC has already clinched.

TONIGHT UVA vs UNC
If U want to take a look at the two teams we play Thursday and Friday, No. 9 seed UVA and No. 5 seed UNC play tonight in Game 6 in Durham.

If U go here (Watch ESPN Link) and depending on when U access the site, choose either "Upcoming" or "Live Now" in the nav bar at the top of the page. It's ACCN Extra so U should be able to see it without blackout issues. Then again...

PROJECTED POSTSEASON FIELD OF 64

As of Tuesday, D1Baseball.com projected Miami as the No. 15 regional seed with the Coral Gables Regional looking like this:

Coral Gables

1. Miami
2. Florida Atlantic (FAU)
3. Florida*
4. Florida Gulf Coast (FGCU)
*Last weekend the Gates went to No. 24 Mizzou and swept the Tigers. That was huge for them and it may have saved their season. BUT, they lost their first-round game vs No. 18 Texas A&M Tuesday 8-7 in 10 in the SEC tournament and because they were a low-seeded team, they were eliminated from the tournament in a 1-and-done deal. So, will they still show up at The Light? Who knows, but if they do, expect attendance to bust through the roof.

Again, the above is just a projection...a lot can change between now and Selection Monday coming up on the 27th. For the time and channel, plus all the postseason game dates etc., please scroll down...

PROJECTED 16 REGIONALS
(d1baseball.com)
Here's their list of regionals and No. 1 seeds (d1's Top 25 ranking in parentheses. Don't know why there is a discrepancy between the regional number vs the ranking number):

1. Los Angeles/UCLA (1)
2. Nashville/Vanderbilt (2)
3. Starkville/Mississippi State (3)
4. Athens/ Georgia (7)
5. Fayetteville/Arkansas (5)
6. Louisville/Louisville (9) Will today's first-game loss to 12 seed BC change this?
7. Lubbock/Texas Tech (10)
8. Atlanta/Georgia Tech (6)
9. Greenville/ East Carolina (8)
10. Stillwater/Oklahoma State (11)
11. Corvallis/Oregon State (12)
12. Palo Alto/Stanford (4)
13. Raleigh/NC State(15)
14. College Station/Texas A&M (13)
15. Coral Gables/Miami (18)
16. Las Vegas/UC Santa Barbara (14) I forget why, but this regional would go to Vegas

If U want to see DI's complete list, go here (d1baseball.com Link)

SUPER REGIONAL PROJECTION

BTW, if I remember the matchups...No. 1 vs No. 16, No 2. vs No. 15...if that is true and we do in fact get the 15th slot...then we would take on the winner of the Nashville Region...most likely, No. 2 Vanderbilt, right? If so, I say, gulp.

POSTSEASON TV DATES

If U are as big a Miami Hurricanes Baseball fas as I am, U will want to take note of the following info regarding the postseason.

So...save these dates:

Selection Show:
Mon May 27 @ 12 Noon ET – (ESPNU)

Regionals: Top 16 Ranked Teams Host – 4 Teams Per Regional
16 Sites – Double Elimination Fri May 31 to Sun June 3 (ESPN)

Super Regionals: Top 8 Ranked Teams Host – 2 Teams Per Regional
8 Sites – Best of 3 Series Fri June 7 to Mon June 10 (ESPN)

College World Series: (CWS) TD Ameritrade Park, Omaha, NE
8 teams – Double Elimination Sun June 15 to Sat June 22 (ESPN)

College World Series Finals: TD Ameritrade Park, Omaha, NE
Best of 3 Series Mon June 24 to Wed June 26 (ESPN)

PLAYING THE ODDS
As an added kick, I came across a site called Scholarship Stats. The info below is for 2017-2018, but the numbers still ring true and they make for an interesting read. I've seen similar stats for basketball and those numbers (odds of kids making the NBA) are off the charts:

Odds of a High School Baseball Player competing in College:
Number of High School Baseball Players 493,694
Number of College Baseball Players (see table below) 57,009
% of High School Baseball Players competing at any College Level 11.1%
% of High School Baseball Players Competing at NCAA I Schools 2.0% 2017
Odds of a High School Baseball player making an NCAA or NAIA Roster 13:1 1
Odds of a High School Baseball player making an NCAA I Roster 50:1 (In Florida 25:1)*
*Georgia had the best odds: 24-1
(courtesy: www.scholarshipstats.com)/http://scholarshipstats.com/baseball.html

I will be back tomorrow early afternoon with a game thread to take U to the 3 pm start vs UVA. I hope U can join me.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News