ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for NRA SHEEPLE to demand NRA back assault weapons ban?

the only trash here is you.
Again, this isn’t the time for this. I like many here don’t care for you and this bullshit you are posting doesn’t serve anyone except you and that twisted mind you have. To post idiotic New Times articles is classless. You could care less about this country, all you want is what it can give you.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: PalmaBoy
I understand the the call for banning certain rifles, handguns, and/ / or certain weapons, I respect your stance on this. But, there is a bigger issue here. That little jack-ass would have found a way to kill those kids by any means necessary.

Not sure how this guy scored an AR-15 with his background of being a troubled kid.
My biggest issue is one side thinks the answer is gun control while the other side thinks it’s mental health....why does it have to be one or the other??? It seems pretty clear to me that they are both issues that need to be addressed in a big time way.

My biggest issue is one side thinks the answer is gun control while the other side thinks it’s mental health....why does it have to be one or the other??? It seems pretty clear to me that they are both issues that need to be addressed in a big time way.
Exactly.

I understand the the call for banning certain rifles, handguns, and/ / or certain weapons, I respect your stance on this. But, there is a bigger issue here. That little jack-ass would have found a way to kill those kids by any means necessary.

Not sure how this guy scored an AR-15 with his background of being a troubled kid.
Not necessarily. The idea is to buy as much time as possible. Maybe he gets the help he needs in time. Maybe someone catches on before hand.

Doing nothing so you don't have to worru about someone taking a gun from you is unacceptable.

When liberals take the time to learn about firearms and educate themselves on the topic, then I’ll take the time to listen to gun control arguments. I read so many ignorant comments and articles about firearms that I lose interest in the debate. I can fire just as many rounds per second through a Glock 17 with an extended magazine (all perfectly legal) as I can through an “assault rifle”. Semi-Automatic firearms simply mean one squeeze of the trigger equals 1 round fired.

The term assault rifle covers a .22 rifle modeled after an ar-15 even though they couldn’t be more different in terms of caliber size, stopping/knockdown power, and that’s only the beginning. But liberals don’t take the time to educate themselves and just assume pro firearm folks are maniacs. No, we simply realize your difficency in education on the topic at hand.

With a spoon? A knife? No way. He never even attempts it without assault rifle.

When liberals take the time to learn about firearms and educate themselves on the topic, then I’ll take the time to listen to gun control arguments. I read so many ignorant comments and articles about firearms that I lose interest in the debate. I can fire just as many rounds per second through a Glock 17 with an extended magazine (all perfectly legal) as I can through an “assault rifle”. Semi-Automatic firearms simply mean one squeeze of the trigger equals 1 round fired.

The term assault rifle covers a .22 rifle modeled after an ar-15 even though they couldn’t be more different in terms of caliber size, stopping/knockdown power, and that’s only the beginning. But liberals don’t take the time to educate themselves and just assume pro firearm folks are maniacs. No, we simply realize your difficency in education on the topic at hand.
Bullshit. We had an assault weapons ban during the Reagan Era and again during the Clinton era and these type of mass killings came to a screeching halt. Stop making the b******* arguments that the NRA makes.

The problem is that the entire country is swimming in firearms. We are less than 5% of the world's population but have nearly half of the world's civilian owned firearms. Until we dramatically reduce the amount of firearms in society, these things will continue to happen. Mental Heath is a completely different issue that should be tackled separately.

Reactions: SolarCane
The problem is that the entire country is swimming in firearms. We are less than 5% of the world's population but have nearly half of the world's civilian owned firearms. Until we dramatically reduce the amount of firearms in society, these things will continue to happen. Mental Heath is a completely different issue that should be tackled separately.
Might actually be the stupidest comment ever! So a sane person with a gun is just as dangerous as a mental case with one? Stupid comment, zero surprise coming from you.

BS .. sick people that want to kill have access to a huge variety of "weaponry" .. from a pick up truck, a van, home made bombs, whatever the imagination can conjure. The gun isn't the issue .. it is sick people doing crazy things .. that is the issue.

Honest question, how do you propose you take the existing legally owned firearms from civilians in the US? Because I can tell you my guns aren’t going anywhere.

Honest question, how do you propose you take the existing legally owned firearms from civilians in the US? Because I can tell you my guns aren’t going anywhere.
By force if necessary. But if not choke off the supply of munitions. Problem reduced in 2 to 3 years.

By force if necessary. But if not choke off the supply of munitions. Problem reduced in 2 to 3 years.
By force? Is force going to determine how many guns we have? And again demonstrating your ignorance, ever heard the term “reloading”? Many firearm enthusiasts have been making their own rounds for years to circumvent the high costs of ammunition.

It would take a sweeping change in the laws.

BS .. sick people that want to kill have access to a huge variety of "weaponry" .. from a pick up truck, a van, home made bombs, whatever the imagination can conjure. The gun isn't the issue .. it is sick people doing crazy things .. that is the issue.

If that were true then why don't these things regularly occur in other countries. We make up 5% of the world's population and yet have 31% of its mass shootings. Reduce the amount of firearms and tightly regulate how they are acquired like other civilized countries do, and the mass shooting rate will drop significantly.

If that were true then why don't these things regularly occur in other countries. We make up 5% of the world's population and yet have 31% of its mass shootings. Reduce the amount of firearms and tightly regulate how they are acquired like other civilized countries do, and the mass shooting rate will drop significantly.
We have more nut cases

They are happening. Brussels bombing attack, the French attack where a truck was ran through a crowd and killed 80+ people, or the Ariana Grande concert attack.

Murder has been illegal for a few years, including mass shootings, right? Let me know when laws do anything.

It has, but we don't allow citizens to own automatic weapons, artillery, mortars, and other instruments of death. So clearly there is a standard that we have set. We can tighten that standard as required in order to curtail mass shootings.

They are happening. Brussels bombing attack, the French attack where a truck was ran through a crowd and killed 80+ people, or the Ariana Grande concert attack.

They do happen occasionally but not anywhere near as often as they happen here. Our homicide rates are 25 times higher than any other industrialized country. The only common thread between us and the rest of the world is that we have 300m firearms swimming around the country. Reduce that number and you will see a dramatic reduction in mass shootings.

It has, but we don't allow citizens to own automatic weapons, artillery, mortars, and other instruments of death. So clearly there is a standard that we have set. We can tighten that standard as required in order to curtail mass shootings.
So you’ve been fair and shared how you think we can limit these senseless attacks. I’ll share mine. We need to stop pretending we’re safe because we’re in America. Schools should be protected by highly trained and ARMED security, not your run of the mill mall cop with a night stick and flashlight. Laws won’t stop criminals. Stop treating law abiding gun owners like the problem, we’re not the enemy. Increase security as we have at airports. I can’t even get a bottle of water on a plane. We have metal detectors, let’s use them.

I know this sounds like martial law or a militarized zone but again, time to wake up and face reality. We are attacked on all fronts from terrorists to troubled 19 year olds. We can’t prevent harmful acts with laws or removing the guns from those aiming to protect their families from these monsters. We have too many “soft targets”. Let’s make them far more difficult to attack. That’s the start.

By the way, gun deaths account for roughly .0001% of the US popluation. Alcohol kills far more people and it doesn’t include the deaths caused by people who abuse alcohol in domestic violence situations.

We can never afford increased funding for mental health, but we can always afford tax breaks for billionaires.

Reactions: Raoul2
We can never afford increased funding for mental health, but we can always afford tax breaks for billionaires.

I agree, although mental health problems exist in all countries. The only difference is that other industrialized countries don't have roughly 1 firearm per citizen floating around inside their countries and they each have proper regulations that govern firearm ownership. That would be a good start here.

Reactions: SolarCane
I will say this. Obviously I’m an avid firearm supporter, but if I truly believed banning firearms would stop these murders 100% than I would be willing to give up my guns. The problem is I don’t believe the problems will go away. Everyone wants to use Australia as an example. Besides the obvious, which they don’t have near our population, around 10% of ours or less, they only had 13 “mass shootings” in the 20 years before they banned firearms. We’ve had 18 already this year. Additionally, as you’ve correctly noted, we have a ton more firearms than any other country and I don’t believe the government can get rid of those.

I agree, although mental health problems exist in all countries. The only difference is that other industrialized countries don't have roughly 1 firearm per citizen floating around inside their countries and they each have proper regulations that govern firearm ownership. That would be a good start here.
Soapbox

I will say this. Obviously I’m an avid firearm supporter, but if I truly believed banning firearms would stop these murders 100% than I would be willing to give up my guns. The problem is I don’t believe the problems will go away. Everyone wants to use Australia as an example. Besides the obvious, which they don’t have near our population, around 10% of ours or less, they only had 13 “mass shootings” in the 20 years before they banned firearms. We’ve had 18 already this year. Additionally, as you’ve correctly noted, we have a ton more firearms than any other country and I don’t believe the government can get rid of those.

So the only way you would support it is if it stopped them 100%? That sounds like a straw man.

I would just like to see us treat gun ownership like like a pilot license. Lots of classes and continuing education to have the right to own a gun.

So the only way you would support it is if it stopped them 100%? That sounds like a straw man.
I can see how you read that. What I meant was if I was 100% confident it would stop these mass murders than yes. And 1 or 2 less is not enough and could be attributed to many variables. Australia is again used as “proof” that a ban eliminates the problem but there are an abundance of obvious differences between the countries and the situation.

...by the way, you have a NRA member and avid firearm enthusiast telling you that I’d support a gun ban if there was a true path to eliminating these senseless murders and the best you can do in response is tell me it’s a straw man argument? I’m trying to be reasonable here. Give me your solution and enlighten me.

I would just like to see us treat gun ownership like like a pilot license. Lots of classes and continuing education to have the right to own a gun.

That's a perfectly fair way to go about it. Maybe a weekend class that involves both practical and written tests at the end. Then periodic accreditation renewals. We currently do written and practical tests to operate a vehicle, private pilots licenses, and many other things, and can apply the same principles to legal firearm use.

This prevents someone from getting a gun to harm people how exactly? Many of these shootings involve weapons obtained from other means besides lawful purchase. Correct me if I’m wrong, but a 19 year old can’t buy a long rifle and this kid received it as a gift I believe.

That's a perfectly fair way to go about it. Maybe a weekend class that involves both practical and written tests at the end. Then periodic accreditation renewals. We currently do written and practical tests to operate a vehicle, private pilots licenses, and many other things, and can apply the same principles to legal firearm use.
The people this effects would be me and other LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. Not the criminals. Not those interested in murdering people.

That's why it would need to be coupled with a plan to reduce the overall amount of firearms.
My times up as I’ve got to board my flight home. Glad we could have a reasonable debate. We may disagree but obviously we both want to end these murders. Have a good night.

I can see how you read that. What I meant was if I was 100% confident it would stop these mass murders than yes. And 1 or 2 less is not enough and could be attributed to many variables. Australia is again used as “proof” that a ban eliminates the problem but there are an abundance of obvious differences between the countries and the situation.

...by the way, you have a NRA member and avid firearm enthusiast telling you that I’d support a gun ban if there was a true path to eliminating these senseless murders and the best you can do in response is tell me it’s a straw man argument? I’m trying to be reasonable here. Give me your solution and enlighten me.

That’s fair. Thanks for the clarification. And also thanks for talking reasonably.

As for Australia, I’ll give you that there are definite differences between the two countries, if you’ll give me that there are similarities as well.

While I think that hypothetically the Australian mode would work, realistically (and politically) it’s never going to happen. No chance. And I think anyone aiming for the banning of guns is wasting their time.

I would like to see gun ownership treated the same way we do a pilot license. You have to take a test, and like @Rauol2 said, have written and practical test and accreditation. I’ve talked to hundreds of NRA people like yourself and nearly all of them said they would support that. It wouldn’t entirely solve the problem, but it would save thousands of lives and not alienate gun owners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT