ADVERTISEMENT

Joer and Advarkas have been right all along on ESPiN

I'm pretty liberal but, tha has nothing to do with watching or not watching ESPN. I just don't care for the opinion shows. The constant LBJ, Red Sox, Yankees, Cowboys &, Patriots opinion shows is what drives me away. I do think it's ridiculous that Bruce Jenner won some kind of ESPY award.

I disagree with Republicans about a lot of social issues. I disagree with their biblical rhetoric. That being said I don't think we should open our gates to a bunch of people from the Middle East that have no interest in adopting our customs or lifestyle. We don't have jobs or education for them without stretching our thin budget thinner. Without being able to improve their lifestyle through economics, poverty leads to resentment.

I do think we need border control not a stupid wall. I don't believe we should kick those out that are already contributing to our society.

I believe you should stand for our National Anthem.

ESPN does nothing to change or influence my beliefs. Just like Fox News or CNN don't. I don't like the same constant 6 teams being discussed. I don't like the SEC. Just like I don't like most things about our President. If ESPN has a 30 for 30 I want to watch or a game then I'm tuning in. Not everything has to do with politics.

Proof as in you want me to knock on every door in the country and find out if they think ESPiN leans left and if their perception that it does, if applicable , has an effect on their ESPiN viewing habits?

I don't think I will be able to provide you with "proof"......

Okay, let's say I'm a hockey fan and I claim that ESPN is losing money and firing people because hokey fans are no longer watching ESPN. I can show data that hockey fans are watching ESPN less than before. Do you believe ESPN not covering hockey is the reason ESPN is losing money? It could be, but those two things happening at the same time don't mean one caused the other, we would need something to show they are related.

In order for ESPN to be losing money because of liberal bias, conservatives would need to cancel their cable (thereby not watching FOX news) just to spite ESPN. This movement would have to be bigger than all the other reasons people stop watching cable, like switching to Netflix. That seems really unlikely so unless there is some data that shows ESPN being liberal is causing their audience to cut cable, then there isn't a reason for a neutral audience to find that claim credible.

The article showed that in one city ESPN audience went from conservative to moderate. That's interesting but that doesn't tell us why. Maybe the conservatives were going to Trump rallies instead. Maybe the Bengals were bad that year and they stopped watching. It could be a lot of stuff because we don't know, it didn't tell us.

Last edited:
POLL: 60% of respondents believe ESPN has a liberal agenda...

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...rrett-sports-media/1vkiau005ud0i135hcxdg6wxat

#LiberalLunacy
za99o.jpg

#LiberalFail
anigif_sub-buzz-18704-1468517086-4.gif

Even the liberal leaning individual had to have a problem with the Michael Sam draft coverage and the network exalting of Bruce Jenner.

Coverage of an athlete getting into a shouting match with hecklers in the club.

TMZ and Perez Hilton infiltration of the so called Worldwide Leader of Sports

Gotta watch an hour to get about 10 minutes of actual sports reporting.

Last edited:
The most directly impacted source of revenue by people deciding to no longer watch a particular channel is from advertisers, period If people decide to stop watching ESPN, they aren't cancelling their Direct TV subscription. If they are sick of their kids watching Sponge Bob, they aren't cancelling their Direct TV subscription. They stop watching THAT channel. That quickly and directly effects viewership, which quickly and effectively hurts advertising dollars. Most advertising contracts are monthly contracts, some are even weekly, and some are even by event. Massive amounts of people don't cancel Direct TV or Comcast because they are suddenly sick of ESPN......that should be common sense. Sure, over time with the additions of internet options like Netflix, PS4, on-line stuff I'm sure there has been some migration away from traditional TV viewership, but for someone like ESPN (and most others) half or more of your revenue (advertising dollars) is directly related to how many people are watching because advertisers are watching who is watching.

*How about some props for not using any quotes!!

Thanks for not quoting!

Pre-Netflix more people had cable to watch TV. ESPN was the most popular cable channel because of live sports so ESPN got the highest subscription fees. Let's say you just had cable to watch Game of Thrones. You're still paying ESPN 7 bucks a month even if you don't watch ESPN or like sports. ESPN made a large part of their revenue from people that didn't even watch the channel because they were the biggest kid on the block. Now the same person can cancel and get HBO Go instead. Every business article I've read said that's the main problem.

Can ad revenues be going down too? Sure, but ESPN had a huge monopoly on cable revenues that's disappearing and most explanations that for cable cutters don't have to do with ESPN bias. If anything it's people that don't like sports who stop paying for cable are the people that are hurting ESPN.

Jesus....another Republican white male jerkfest on a canes board..You fools complain more then woman. You are now the official "victims" of everything. I know one thing, if YOU fools are uncomfortable and unhappy it means America is headed in the right direction. I love it. Keep crying.This country is ours now.

Reactions: canesrule21'ships
Jesus....another Republican white male jerkfest on a canes board..You fools complain more then woman. You are now the official "victims" of everything. I know one thing, if YOU fools are uncomfortable and unhappy it means America is headed in the right direction. I love it. Keep crying.This country is ours now.

You still talking out of your ass...?

US-House.jpg

CTAZrR1WIAAQQSr.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-12-29-at-10.45.10-AM-1024x307.png

tumblr_o4mr85tlYU1u58y2fo1_250.gif

People as dumb as you are , definitely serve a purpose. Don't you let anyone tell you different.

I'm pretty liberal but, tha has nothing to do with watching or not watching ESPN. I just don't care for the opinion shows. The constant LBJ, Red Sox, Yankees, Cowboys &, Patriots opinion shows is what drives me away. I do think it's ridiculous that Bruce Jenner won some kind of ESPY award.

I disagree with Republicans about a lot of social issues. I disagree with their biblical rhetoric. That being said I don't think we should open our gates to a bunch of people from the Middle East that have no interest in adopting our customs or lifestyle. We don't have jobs or education for them without stretching our thin budget thinner. Without being able to improve their lifestyle through economics, poverty leads to resentment.

I do think we need border control not a stupid wall. I don't believe we should kick those out that are already contributing to our society.

I believe you should stand for our National Anthem.

ESPN does nothing to change or influence my beliefs. Just like Fox News or CNN don't. I don't like the same constant 6 teams being discussed. I don't like the SEC. Just like I don't like most things about our President. If ESPN has a 30 for 30 I want to watch or a game then I'm tuning in. Not everything has to do with politics.

A TRUE moderate!

Ha ha ha..its just so pathetic to watch and lovely at the same time. You generation X republicans are like sad stupid children who have been lied to by there baby boomer/silent generation parents or just choose to be ignorant. Whatever majorities you fools hold in congress are because of gerrymandering and will be easily wiped away into a progressive majority again. Just as the progressive majority was wiped away in 2010. Cling to the electoral college for another 20 years for all I care and watch the popular vote grow for progressives. Keep lying to yourself and showing big maps about "coastal" liberals and "real middle america" as if we dont all know most minorities live in urban coastal areas due to segregation history. The last ditch efforts by racist conservative clowns like sessions,trump and devos to turn back the clock through immigration,de funding public education,pulling back voters/civil rights and gerrymandering are soooo futile. Its too late. The culture,demographic makeup, millenial generation, and the objective analysis of history,stats and facts are ALL progressive. The money and old power structure is conservative and its crumbling..Men like you used to have nothing to complain about. Now you get on sports message boards for jerkfests..and its just so sad to watch. You should Keep listening to Republicans like Steve king and Steve Bannon because they are RIGHT...this country is becoming OURS...ha ha ha ha ha ha.. its like you guys dont understand. Your complaints are GOSPEL. Your happy silence is what hurts. Keep responding please!!! Ill watch

Ha ha ha..its just so pathetic to watch and lovely at the same time. You generation X republicans are like sad stupid children who have been lied to by there baby boomer/silent generation parents or just choose to be ignorant. Whatever majorities you fools hold in congress are because of gerrymandering and will be easily wiped away into a progressive majority again. Just as the progressive majority was wiped away in 2010. Cling to the electoral college for another 20 years for all I care and watch the popular vote grow for progressives. Keep lying to yourself and showing big maps about "coastal" liberals and "real middle america" as if we dont all know most minorities live in urban coastal areas due to segregation history. The last ditch efforts by racist conservative clowns like sessions,trump and devos to turn back the clock through immigration,de funding public education,pulling back voters/civil rights and gerrymandering are soooo futile. Its too late. The culture,demographic makeup, millenial generation, and the objective analysis of history,stats and facts are ALL progressive. The money and old power structure is conservative and its crumbling..Men like you used to have nothing to complain about. Now you get on sports message boards for jerkfests..and its just so sad to watch. You should Keep listening to Republicans like Steve king and Steve Bannon because they are RIGHT...this country is becoming OURS...ha ha ha ha ha ha.. its like you guys dont understand. Your complaints are GOSPEL. Your happy silence is what hurts. Keep responding please!!! Ill watch
Keep entertaining me . "Your" something else , ignorance is bliss as they say . "Their" are some mouth breathers on this board but "you're" mouth breathing takes it to a whole new level.
f518ea27c0c5180cd082bc755c08ddd3.jpg

Sugar-Cane, with my Direct TV I cancelled all the sports only channel package. I guess all I really care about is Cane Football and as the season gets closer will have to figure out how I can watch the games here in West North Carolina.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU
A TRUE moderate!
Would you say the same for me?
You just posted a survey of 51 people. Talk about a fail.
"The majority of the 1,363 people who completed the survey March 7-14 were "sports media consumers," said Jason Barrett, owner of Barrett Sports Media. His 10-question ESPN survey uncovered some other troubling indicators for the Worldwide Leader in Sports. "

Huh?

Some of you gentlemen act like children when it comes to politics. It's sad that this seems to be the norm though.

Reactions: serge26

My bad on that. I tried to find actual data from the survey and the only one that was linked was a survey from 51 people. A survey that doesn't link to actual data is fishy to me having a deep background in statistics.

My point in this whole ESPN debate (and the reason I don't watch it) refers to Questions 8: Which program you prefer the most?

Play-by-Play leads (34%)
Documentaries (21.8%)

These are the only things I watch on the station, and it seems like everyone else feels the same.

"Hillary Clinton is running away with this election. Current polls have her ahead by (fill in the blank)%"-main stream media.

"Cord cutting is the reason for declining viewership and hemoraging of the bottom line at ESPN. Left leaning political comentarty has nothing to do with it."-main stream media.

In today's world if you believe the media you are naive. They do not report the news, they make and shape the presentation of information in a manner that is most adventitious to the beliefs of the guy who signs the front of the paychecks.

Use the eye test. It never fails. If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck it is a safe bet it is a duck. 15 years ago espn ran in my home 24/7. It was the background of my life. They had sports on television. They had highlight shows. They had shows that focused on each of the major sports. They broke down games. I dare anyone to put that channel on for 1/2 an hour. It will be people, who have no qualifications by the way, discussing Joe Mixon for 10 minutes. Then they will do a story about Cuba and Castro. After that it will be someone talking about title nine and the cultural impact of student athletes on college campuses. What they won't talk about is sports.

My bad on that. I tried to find actual data from the survey and the only one that was linked was a survey from 51 people. A survey that doesn't link to actual data is fishy to me having a deep background in statistics.

My point in this whole ESPN debate (and the reason I don't watch it) refers to Questions 8: Which program you prefer the most?

Play-by-Play leads (34%)
Documentaries (21.8%)

These are the only things I watch on the station, and it seems like everyone else feels the same.

Fair.

Reactions: Joetoth
Fake news can be true depending on your point of view
@cems52 and @canesrule21'ships ( better known as rerun) for example, believe in the tooth fairy and how Trump bombed Syria at the behest of Putin...of course the Kremlin relocated to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.......MSNBC and CNN reported it and the Huffington Post confirmed it.

The only way ESPN loses money is if you cancel your whole cable subscription. If you stop watching ESPN and watch FOX News instead, ESPN still gets your money. ESPN is losing money because people cancel their cable, usually for other reasons than a perceived ESPN liberal bias.
Not really. Ad revenue is more important than subscription revenue. And ad revenue is dictated by ratings.
Plus people are subscribing to ala carte programming which is leaving ESPN out of the loop there.

Not really. Ad revenue is more important than subscription revenue. And ad revenue is dictated by ratings.
Plus people are subscribing to ala carte programming which is leaving ESPN out of the loop there.
60% of their revenue is subscriptions. 40% is ads. Every single article about their declining revenue says it's because of declining cable subscription.

The most directly impacted source of revenue by people deciding to no longer watch a particular channel is from advertisers, period If people decide to stop watching ESPN, they aren't cancelling their Direct TV subscription. If they are sick of their kids watching Sponge Bob, they aren't cancelling their Direct TV subscription. They stop watching THAT channel. That quickly and directly effects viewership, which quickly and effectively hurts advertising dollars. Most advertising contracts are monthly contracts, some are even weekly, and some are even by event. Massive amounts of people don't cancel Direct TV or Comcast because they are suddenly sick of ESPN......that should be common sense. Sure, over time with the additions of internet options like Netflix, PS4, on-line stuff I'm sure there has been some migration away from traditional TV viewership, but for someone like ESPN (and most others) half or more of your revenue (advertising dollars) is directly related to how many people are watching because advertisers are watching who is watching.

*How about some props for not using any quotes!!

Thanks for not quoting!

Pre-Netflix more people had cable to watch TV. ESPN was the most popular cable channel because of live sports so ESPN got the highest subscription fees. Let's say you just had cable to watch Game of Thrones. You're still paying ESPN 7 bucks a month even if you don't watch ESPN or like sports. ESPN made a large part of their revenue from people that didn't even watch the channel because they were the biggest kid on the block. Now the same person can cancel and get HBO Go instead. Every business article I've read said that's the main problem.

Can ad revenues be going down too? Sure, but ESPN had a huge monopoly on cable revenues that's disappearing and most explanations that for cable cutters don't have to do with ESPN bias. If anything it's people that don't like sports who stop paying for cable are the people that are hurting ESPN.
Thanks for not quoting!

Fair points. Good debate sugar-cane. Look forward to the next time.

Wrong, they make most their money off subscriptions. All the articles talking about their declining revenue says it's because of people are cord cutting.

ESPN has declining viewership because of cable cutters and because they talked about Tebow for a 3 years straight. I didn't even say they don't have any bias, but bias is not the main reason they are losing money.

ESPN makes 7 dollars a month for every cable subscriber. If you have cable you're giving ESPN 84 dollars a year. That's worth way more than your eyeballs on ads. If you were mad at ESPN for having a bias and you stopped paying for cable then that would have an impact, but I haven't seen anything that suggests that's happening. People are cutting cable because it's expensive and you can get the content other ways. I stopped watching ESPN because they talked about Tebow for 3 years straight. If anything over covering Tebow showed conservative bias. ESPN's bias is towards sensational non-sense. Could they take a liberal position on an issue sure, but ultimately they are trying to do what they think will make money. If a liberal person thought ESPN was bias for over covering the Christian conservative Tim Tebow, I would tell them the same thing.
Wrong. Why aren't all cable networks--like Fox "losing subscribers" too?

60% of their revenue is subscriptions. 40% is ads. Every single article about their declining revenue says it's because of declining cable subscription.
My point is...Why then aren't ALL cable networks suffering and laying off hundreds? And "every single article" blah blah blah...what do you expect the liberal media to say?

This MF is a duplicate of this canes21shits guy. Where is Jimmy Carter, you need him now!

Typical Lib blowhard. All the answers, zero solutions.

My point is...Why then aren't ALL cable networks suffering and laying off hundreds? And "every single article" blah blah blah...what do you expect the liberal media to say?
Wrong. Why aren't all cable networks--like Fox "losing subscribers" too?
They are but ESPN was the most popular cable channel so they got the biggest piece of the subscriber pie. Currently they are getting 7 bucks per subscription while then next closest was TNT who is only getting 2. I think cable subscribers are down around 12 million from their peak. So 12 million times 7 times 12 months is a billion dollars a year. Fox News is getting like 1 dollar so they are losing 84 million. It hurts everyone in cable but it hurts ESPN the most because they are the kings of cable.

Other channels are losing money but ESPN was the most popular cable channel so they got the biggest piece of the subscriber pie. Currently they are getting 7 bucks per subscription while then next closest was TNT who is only getting 2. I think cable subscribers are down around 12 million from their peak. So 12 million times 7 times 12 months is a billion dollars a year. Fox News is getting like 1 dollar so they are losing 84 million. It hurts everyone in cable but it hurts ESPN the most because they are the king of cable.

To UCFgoon (well-named if I may say so), caneshits and other far left Lib a**wipes.

Go to--- http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/elizabeth-warren-a-factory-of-bad-ideas/ar-BBAvgHB?ocid=spartandhp

Other Libs, I apologize for this over the top attitude I take with the above-mentioned posters. However, this is where your party is headed and this will surely strengthen the Conservative flow of our great nation.

And by the way, Go ‘Canes!!

I have to be honest, but it is hard to take a Trump Transition team member's opinion piece as an unbiased opinion about where the Democratic party is heading.

I have serious issues with the direction of both parties and I would say that a good percentage of the population feels that way. I feel sorry for the people that think Trump is the answer as much as I feel for the people that thought Clinton was. Both sides are an embarrassment to me.

I have to be honest, but it is hard to take a Trump Transition team member's opinion piece as an unbiased opinion about where the Democratic party is heading.

I have serious issues with the direction of both parties and I would say that a good percentage of the population feels that way. I feel sorry for the people that think Trump is the answer as much as I feel for the people that thought Clinton was. Both sides are an embarrassment to me.

Sorry you feel that way. I fully respect what you say. Your type of dialogue is refreshing. But, you and I totally disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT