ADVERTISEMENT

Joer Returns from Costa Rica: Interviews 2016 Cheerleader Recruits

Joer

SuperCane
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2002
Crescent Beach, FL
www.jmrubinoconsulting.com
My good friend Clobi asked about my whereabouts in another thread and I am glad he asked.

After spending the past 4 days in Cuba (I am not making that up), I am now making my way back to beautiful Crescent Beach, Florida. As many of you know, I have spent exactly one year in lovely Quepos, Costa Rica, a small city on the Pacific Ocean. Many of you might remember that on April 1st, 2015, I moved to Quepos to run a banana plantation I had purchased with my 2 of my brothers, Sal and Rick. I planned to spend my golden years tending to my crop, laying on the beach, and enjoying the great local cuisine.

Life in Costa Rica was wonderful and our banana crop is doing well under our loyal GM Manuel Antonio. Some of you may also remember that my brothers abandoned me, wanting to get back to their ''real lives." Rick is a Superintendent of a school district in Northern California and in August he gave me some stupid excuse about school starting again and a pending job action if he did not return. Sal owns the most popular restaurant in Louisville, KY, and he gave me some equally stupid excuse for leaving. Something about a possible divorce. Couple of wimps.

Meanwhile our Squamish team, the Jaco Tacos, finished 16-4 and 1st in the Coastal Division. I didn't play much, despite the burst of energy that my daily dose of potassium provided. I have, however, been a strong mentor to some of our younger players, particularly a young man named Daniel Villanueva, who is a true prodigy despite being only 13 years old. On the season he scored 67 Woomiks and 93 Durmishes. His backhand is amazing and his ability to sprint while wearing flippers is simply unbelievable. It really is. Unbelievable.

I am leaving my many friends at Wacky Wanda's, the expat saloon in downtown Quepos where I often hung out. I am not sure if I paid my last tab, now that I think about it. I will call up Manuel Antonio and tell him to supply Wacky Wanda with all the bananas she needs for her incredible frozen daiquiris. That should square it.

Leaving Varadero, Cuba early this morning, I arrived in Miami where I spent the afternoon on campus interviewing the new Cane Cheerleading Recruits. I will tell you more in the upcoming days, but I can tell you right now that the Canes have a great 2016 class. Here is a look at their star cheerleading recruit:

Jordan Wells, Rehobeth Beach, DE.- The Canes have made a big splash by landing 4-star recruit Jordan Wells, the highest rated recruit in the State of Delaware and one of the nation's few transgender cheerleaders. Wells had offers from dozens of Division 1 schools, including every college within 30 miles of San Francisco.

When asked why she chose Miami, Wells replied: "Duh..... hello!! South Beach?? Key West?? Sorry you Cornbusters or whatever they call those boys at the farmer schools!!!! Mid-West???? I don't think so!!!!!! Booorrrring!!!!"

Much of the success in landing this prized recruit goes to former Cane Cheerleader and now Assistant Cheerleading Coach, Todd (Fay) Faye. CaneSport readers might remember that Fay, whose career at Miami got off to a rocky start when she, I mean he, was banned from the men's locker room (the staring incident was never proven) but later emerged as a force on the squad, and his fashion and makeup tips continue to bring many accolades to the squad. Wells claimed that the close relationship she developed with Fay on her recruiting trips was the difference in choosing Miami.

For her official visit, Fay arranged for young Jordan to be hosted not just by a current cheerleader, but also by several members of the weightlifting team, which apparently made a strong impression on this prized recruit.

Wells, who was named after Jordan Marsh, her mother's favorite department store as a young woman, will major in fashion design, and will minor in Sequin Studies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News