ADVERTISEMENT

Let's get to work.

anthonyyero

SuperCane
Staff
Jun 30, 2022
Canes County family, excited to be a part of the team.

My name is Anthony Yero, I'm a 19-year-old Miami native that has been covering the University of Miami for about two and a half years. What once started as a hobby between my twin brother, Michael, and I has led us to build a remarkable platform. Our media outlet, 305 Sports, which provides in-depth coverage of all Miami sports, has amassed 23 thousand followers on Instagram and has created sensational experiences.

Young and clueless, we've worked our way up the ranks. A great first memory would be us sneaking into Chaminade-Madonna's season-opener to ask Thad Franklin and Allan Haye questions about Miami recruiting. In 2020, We created buzz around the Northwestern Five in with Kamren Kinchens, Romello Brinson, Kahlil Brantley, Ja'Corey Hammett and Tim Burns. Even the "Palmetto Five," which almost came to life.

I remember getting on the phone with Manny Navarro while riding my bike two summers ago. I asked him, "how can I get my name out and get credentialed at UM." He told me that nobody in the area was covering FIU, and that it was an opening for me to flourish. God bless that man. At 16, we were credentialed at FIU, where I would speak to Butch Davis regularly and learn how to maneuver in the world of sports journalism.

That year, I broke stories, most notably the hiring of offensive coordinator Andrew Breiner -- he's long gone now. At 17, my mom didn't let me skip school to attend FIU's Pro Day. I still don't forgive her for that.

In early 2021, I checked my phone every two seconds after I had my first source tell me about Charleston Rambo coming to Miami. The same source told my brother that T-Rob was coming to UM. We put out semi-cryptic tweets, and we got some buzz. We went 2-2 that day.

During Manny Diaz's Paradise Camp, we got denied a media credential, so we built up all the connections we had and managed to get a VIP wristband to be allowed in. I still keep the green wristband in my wallet to this day.

We were credentialed with the UM program for the first time in 2021, and made the most of it. I was a bit shook when my mic was unmuted on zoom for the first time and I finally got to ask a question. We got to fly out to Chicago for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Surreal experiences.

When Marcus called me months ago to pitch the Canes County idea, I was bought in. He's been covering Miami and South Florida recruiting for much longer than I have, and has been a great colleague on the sidelines around the years. I even asked Larry Blustein about Marcus, and he gave me the green light. Frank Tucker has also been the best in the recruiting

It's always been about shining the light on the South Florida talent. The city that made me and raised me has done so much for me in the past years, and the goal is to see all the kids we cover get to the next level and become successful.

During the spring, we visited Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, American Heritage, Miami Columbus, Chaminade Madonna, Immaculata La Salle, and other high schools in the area. Michael and I weren't chasing a recruiting scoop, we just wanted to see who could make a play.

Just this week, we've been to Miami Central, Chaminade-Madonna, La Salle, American Heritage and Miami Edison. We'll be at Miami Northwestern in the morning. Check out this video I made about Nathaniel Joseph less than 24 hours after he committed.

The best part about this team is its passion. We've all been at games/events longer than we needed to be for a story. It's not about the scoop or the inside. We really care about this and want to shine the light on those who need and deserve it most.

Excited to get to work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News