ADVERTISEMENT

No. 3 : Why Garcia did not pitch in the 9th and much more....

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Okay, baseball Caniacs...just for U, I transcribed most of the post-game presser with No. 3, Edgar Michelangeli and Michael Mediavilla. The answers are 99% close to what they gave. The reporters questions? Not so much, but U get the general idea.

Enjoy!

Asked about making the decision not to bring Garcia in for the 9th inning vs. FSU:

“Of course you want to [bring him in], and the same way with (Frankie) Bartow. But I don’t want to take a chance with any of those guys throwing a lot of pitches. I want to make sure they are real rested for next weekend — and next weekend, if we win, we forget all about this week. It's the real deal.

(Morris added this comment:)

"It's a great league, a great league. There are some teams, that I am afraid are going to be left out that deserve to be in the NCAA tournament."

No. 3's thoughts on the ACC tournament format:

"It's the way this tournament works. It's the reason I like this format. Some coaches don't. I like the format. When we first went to it I said, 'I like it' because it gets you prepared for the NCAA tournament vs. doing what the SEC does is play a double-elimination, all morning to all night to 12 o'clock at night and I think that burns your pitching staff out, your players get tired and I like the format we have now so it's to get your ready, get you ready.

"For us, we gotta move, we gotta move on. But I expect to be a No. 1 (regional) seed in the tournament which starts next weekend."

Do you think your team had a chance to be the overall No. 1 seed if things had gone right this weekend? And secondly, do you think the league is a strong as it's ever been, in your mind?

"I'll answer the second question first. The league, in my opinion, is as strong as it's ever been, there's no question. It gets better every year. It gets better every year. So many teams in the conference are emphasizing baseball and hiring new coaches. If you don't win, you don't have a job. And you gotta lot of pressure, but people are spending money to make their people better and make their programs better. It's a great league."

As for the first question:

"I think if we had won the tournament we would have a chance to be the No. 1 (overall) seed. I don't think we have a chance to be the No. 1 overall seed. But our goal is to be in the top eight, top 5, something like that. But the real deal is, I want to get us prepared as a team for this next thing because at Miami — whether it’s sad to say or good to say — we could win the ACC and if we don’t get to the World Series, it’s not a successful season.

“We've got to get them ready. But once in a while you’ve got to win a ring, and it has been too long since I’ve won one. So we've got to focus on that. I've got two more seasons after this one before I retire and we've got to win another one guys (looking at his players) before I retire and I'm outta here.

"I'm very proud of our team, they played hard. Do we have a chance? Yes, we have a chance when we get to Omaha."

Is this team good enough to get that ring before you go off in the sunset?

"Well, I'm not going off into the sunset this year quite yet, but I do think this team has a chance because we have quality pitching, one of our strengths is our bullpen and we play good defense. And different guys are coming up and getting hits, like Edgar, hitting in the 9th spot, hitting a home run to win it and hitting today to tie it. Anybody one through 9 is capable of getting that hit and that's what we've got to do and play good defense.

"I'm excited about the way our guys played, I'm proud of the way our guys played, but we've go to move on."

The players were asked if the fact they go home without a ring puts a damper on things:

Edgar Michelangeli: "I feel like we battled this whole tournament, really played hard and left it all out there. We happened to not win today but that's not how we are going to be remembered."

Michael Mediavilla: "We take every game, every inning, serious, and we did it today again. We just came up short.”

Morris: "I'd like to answer that question too. You know what? The next week is the most important thing. If this were the end of the year Bryan Garcia would still be in the game. But I did not want to burn our bullpen. I want to get them rested and I want to get them ready for the next tournament. Not that this tournament is not important, but next week is more important and that why we did what we did, or why I did what we did.

ACC Media
If U want to review any or all the ACC post-game press conferences up to our Saturday game with FSU:

ACC Post-Game Press Conferences

Some Game Stats

Check out how close the final pitching stats were between the two starting pitchers, Mediavilla and Horton (a FR), who was the winning pitcher in Game 3 last weekend in Tally, also won in walk-off fashion.

Michael Mediavilla: Innings/6.0 Hits/7 Runs/2 ER/2 BB/2 SO/6 AB/25 BF/28 P/93
Tyler Holton: Innings/7.0 Hits/7 Runs/2 ER/2 BB/2 SO/9 AB/26 BF/28 P/94

SO: UM 12, FSU 7
LOB: FSU 13, UM 8
DPs: FSU 2, UM 0

Final line score:

Canes 4 8 0
Noles 5 11 0

Attendance: 4,700+.

Roard to Omaha selection show and preview show:

ESPNU airs the baseball selection show Monday from 12 noon-1pm. Then from 7pm-8pm, their college baseball analysts will dissect the teams that made it, the one who didn't, the best games scheduled and who has the best chance of winning the title.

Even though the ACC was toe-to-toe and more with the SEC, I expect their network to push and promote the welfare of their SEC Network. Don't U?

It's called B2B: Business and Bias. We'll see how they handle it.
FYI: I don't think I can cover any of the regional games next weekend, unless I jump in late. I will keep U advised.

I think that's it, Caniacs. Happy Memorial Day to you and your families and everyone who is serving our great country today, especially those who are in harm's way. And of course, let's remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Without them there'd be no CaneSport, or much of anything we love and hold dear like the Miami Hurricanes etc.

No matter what, it's still great to be....G'night from ATL!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News