ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) UF and FSU are becoming "Whiter"

Blue Bishop25

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
The other day I read an extensive article in the Washington Postconcerning the steady decline in Black enrollment to both UF and FSU. To paraphrase young Blacks are shying away due to the fact they see few Blacks on these Campuses. If this trend continues the Black population will consists of Football and Basketball Athletes. In one case a young Black girl with a 3.80 HS average chose to enroll at UCF instead of UF. There is more diversity at UCF. FIU, UCF and USF are making a pitch for these Florida Black youngsters. Thus these three schools have shown an increase in Black enrollment at their respective schools.
Miami was not mentioned in the article as the Washington Post was focusing on the Florida State Schools.
It's well known UM is one of the most diversed Universitys in the U.S. According to the "Miami Hurricane" the White population is 49%at UM. And Black enrollment at UM has been increasing. This despite the fact that it's expensive to attend UM. Looking closely at the UM population one can readily observe Academics is what drives the UM Student Body. Consequently, UF and FSU are concerned that their Academic standing will be affected downward. Not a good thing for one's reputation.

Interesting topic. Speculation on my part, but I have a few theories as to why fewer Blacks may be attending UF and FSU:
(1) over the years, UCF and USF have become better at football, so more Black athletes may choose to attend UCF and USF so that they can start and still be on TV as opposed to riding the bench for most of their four years;

(2) UCF (Orlando area), USF (Tampa area), and FIU (Miami area) are located in Metropolitan areas, whereas Florida State (north Florida) and Florida (Gainesville) are in more traditional white rural areas;

(3) More Blacks are being admitted into better academic schools such as Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke, and so on and so forth throughout the South/Southeast, so they be more apt to choose these schools over a FSU or UF on pure academic reasons; or

(4) Recruiting on a national level in college football has become so diverse and expansive through the development of technology and television, that more Blacks have more options outside of Florida from which to choose, such as an Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, etc... In essence, recruiting used to be "regional"; now, of course, it is national...

Just a few thoughts.
This post was edited on 4/8 11:07 AM by advarkas

I am kind of shocked to hear this about uf and fsu. Diversity is great for all aspects of our lives and especially education. I seriously doubt that uf and fsu will only have black athletes but I did not read the article. A link would have been nice. Growing up here in South Fla. I have learned to love all people, regardless of color/religion.

I expect Flea will breakout of prison hitch a ride with Al Sharpton and start protesting on their campuses.

Advarkus,
Your point #2 is on the mark. It's quite true that FIU, UCF and USF are located in Urban Centers. Thus their population is more diversed. Folks want to see their own kind at the school which they will be attending. Thus, UF and FSU are being hit hard as they lack diversity as it currently stands. Football is not a factor. However, comfort is a huge factor.

I'm not buying this being an issue with fsu. I'm on campus, even if only for a few minutes, daily and it is quite diverse. Don't forget Famu is on the other side of the train tracks......I doubt any black athlete has concerns about this when considering fsu.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by bbcane:
I expect Flea will breakout of prison hitch a ride with Al Sharpton and start protesting on their campuses.
Flea will do his protesting from across the street he is banned from any premise where minors could be present.

Originally posted by Blue Bishop25:
The other day I read an extensive article in the Washington Postconcerning the steady decline in Black enrollment to both UF and FSU. To paraphrase young Blacks are shying away due to the fact they see few Blacks on these Campuses. If this trend continues the Black population will consists of Football and Basketball Athletes. In one case a young Black girl with a 3.80 HS average chose to enroll at UCF instead of UF. There is more diversity at UCF. FIU, UCF and USF are making a pitch for these Florida Black youngsters. Thus these three schools have shown an increase in Black enrollment at their respective schools.
Miami was not mentioned in the article as the Washington Post was focusing on the Florida State Schools.
It's well known UM is one of the most diversed Universitys in the U.S. According to the "Miami Hurricane" the White population is 49%at UM. And Black enrollment at UM has been increasing. This despite the fact that it's expensive to attend UM. Looking closely at the UM population one can readily observe Academics is what drives the UM Student Body. Consequently, UF and FSU are concerned that their Academic standing will be affected downward. Not a good thing for one's reputation.
How much further down could FSU's "academic" standing go?

This post was edited on 4/8 11:55 AM by NO.SHORECANE

Originally posted by mmako11:
I'm not buying this being an issue with fsu. I'm on campus, even if only for a few minutes, daily and it is quite diverse. Don't forget Famu is on the other side of the train tracks......I doubt any black athlete has concerns about this when considering fsu.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
This! Was in Tally the other day visiting family and from what I saw diversity is not a problem at FSU. To think that one day the only African Americans on FSU and UF's campuses will be athletes is totally absurd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT