ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quarterman and Osborn thoughts this morning

mshodell

SuperCane
Staff
Jul 31, 2001
Miami, FL
miami.rivals.com
* Quarterman said on WQAM that he and Pinckney worked together in the decision to return for their senior seasons.

“It came down that the best thing for us was to come back,” he said.

Quarterman also said that Zach McCloud had decided early on that he would return regardless of what Quarterman and Pinckney did.

Quarterman also said that coach Manny Diaz getting the job was “a big part” of the decision to come back.

Diaz called Quarterman the morning after he got the job.

“He told me of all the things he wanted to implement,” Quarterman said.

* Quarterman said “I don’t see much of a drop off at all” on the defensive line.

“We have Jon Garvin back, Scott Patchan, Greg Rousseau and Jon Ford, who had an unbelievable spring,” Quarterman said.

Quarterman also praised Nesta Silvera (“he’s very spunky, very aggressive - very athletic also”) and Pat Bethel (“very sturdy, very strong,” he said).

“Us being able to rotate will put us ahead of a lot of people,” Quarterman said.

* His take on the QB situation?

Will it be the A, B or C option?

“All of the above,” Quarterman said. “Those guys are earning it every day - the way they compete against each other … we’re going to be fine.”

* Osborn said on WQAM that, after coming in from Buffalo as a transfer, that “they were looking for a leader, a guy that would step up in the receiving room. The receiving corps is really young, needed to gain experience. That’s one thing they were looking for. I was able to take on that role in a new offense. It’s been definitely good. I love coach Diaz’s vibe, his energy.

* What is Osborn’s take on the QB situation?

“I love them all,” he said. “They all bring different things to the table. We’ll see how it plays out.”

Is it a close battle in Osborn’s opinion?

“Yeah, they all have different things,” Osborn said. “Tate (Martell) is very, very smart, really athletic. Kosi (Perry) has some experience, his arm power is amazing. He throws a really nice ball, he can run, is a little taller guy. Jarren (Williams), he throws a really good ball. You think of a point guard, someone who can get it out, a Chris Paul, really nice ball, gets it out to you, can get out of the pocket if he has to, smart player.

“Under coach (Dan) Enos, I think we’ll be okay.”

* Osborn is rooming with Jeff Thomas.

“At first I was going to be with Tate (Martell), then with Deejay (Dallas), then it was rumored Jeff was coming back - coach Diaz asked how I’d like rooming with him, we talked about the situation,” Osborn said. “It’s cool, I love it.

“Jeff is different from a lot of people - different guys take things differently. So I’m not a person to jump on you, let it play out. He’s my roommate so we’ve talked, I got to learn him, how he’s different from everyone else. Jeff works, works hard, is a talented player, gets in the playbook - I think he’s starting to get it, especially the playbook when we’re drawing stuff on the board. I think he’s ready, think he’s excited, too.”

* Osborn’s take on Mark Pope?

“Man, Pope has been working his butt off,” Osborn said. “I’m really proud of him. … Pope is pushing me during runs, the guy can run forever. In the weight room the guy is working his butt off, has had Lifter of the Week. After every lift we catch 100, 200 balls, are running extra routes.

“He and Jeff, they touch it in any free space they’re gone. I’m so proud of him, man. Coming in he was working, then this summer he bumped it up. He said `I have to play, have to do it.’”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News