ADVERTISEMENT

Football Regarding the Van Dyke / Garcia conversation Gary and I had on Good Morning CaneSport

mshodell

SuperCane
Staff
Jul 31, 2001
Miami, FL
miami.rivals.com
Again, no one is saying Van Dyke won't and should not start. He was amazing the last half of the season and looks like the best QB at UM since Ken Dorsey.

But with that said, my argument is let the coaches decide. My reason for that, which maybe I didn't make totally clear in GM CaneSport - I feel strongly that if UM could go back and rethink things a year ago the team would not have made D'Eriq King the game 1 starter. Yes, Van Dyke would have been roughed up against Bama. But he clearly in retrospect was the best QB on that roster and UM would have won more games with him in that early stretch imo (can't imagine them losing to UNC/UVA if he had the first four games under his belt). I'm not sure if Lashlee/Diaz realized it at the time, maybe they did but felt boxed in with King working his way back so hard to get healthy for Game 1 and being a team leader.

But this new staff will not sit the better of the 2 QBs, and they shouldn't because the team knows who is playing better in spring and summer and you don't go with second-best.

I'm not saying it should be Garcia, I'm saying let the coaches decide...

That's all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News