ADVERTISEMENT

Sat. Night Baseball Game 2: No. 3 UVA vs No. 8 UM - Canes survive to win 5-4 in a drama-packed 9th to take series!

AtlantaCane

SuperCane
Sep 7, 2005
Port Orange, Florida
Final Update:

After taking a 2-0 lead, we fall behind 4-2, but we tie it up at 4-4 late before a Yoyo Morales mega-shot to deep CF gives us a 5-4 lead and that was the final score...but not before we had major drama in the 9th where the Cavs loaded the bases and we just barely...got the final out at 1B after a video reviews...

Sheesh, what a game between 2 top 10 programs!

So, the Canes win and we take the series against the No. 3 team in the land...

But to repeat, we got the first 2 outs in the 9th but then the Cavs get 2 straight hits, we hit a batter and they leave 3 bases juiced!!!

Wow!!!!!

And boy, does our closer Andrew Walters look relieved!!! No kidding! If he had flubbed this one on his iffy throw to first....

I'll say it again...what a a game!!!!

Final Line Score:
TeamsRuns HitsErrorsLOB
Virginia 4817
Miami 5808

I'll be back with some stats in a few...after I get resuscitated :rolleyes:

PITCHING
Ligon: 1P 4.1, H 4, R 4, ER 4, BB 2, K 4
Torres: IP 1.0, H 1, R 0, ER 0, BB 0, K 0
Gates: IP 1.0, H 1, R 0, ER 0, BB 0, K 0
WP: Gallo (1-0), IP 0.2, H 0, R 0, ER 0, BB 0, K 1
Ziehl: IP 1.0, H 0, R 0, ER 0, BB 0, K 2
Save: Walters (10), IP 1.0, H 2, R 0, ER 0, BB 0, K 2

HITTING
Levenson: 3-4, HR, 1 RBI
Burke: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI
Morales: 2-4, HR, 1 RBI
Gutierrez: 1-1, 2 B

DEFENSE
After committing 3 errors last night, we had NONE tonight. Great job D!

STAT OF THE GAME
Off the top of my head, I vote for our pitching staff again...to hold UVA to just 8 hits and 4 runs + kudos to our bats who went yard 3x!

GAME STATS
This will be worth your time looking at so go here (Courtesy: stats.statsbroadcast.com)

RECORDS
Miami improves to 25-6 and 12-2/ACC to extend their Coastal lead over UVA to 3 games. UVA drops to 26-5 and 9-5/ACC

UP NEXT
Get out your brooms, Caniacs...Game 3 is Sunday at 1 pm...and a heads up: I doubt I can cover this game so I will set up a game thread and hopefully, someone can pinch-hit...no cable/satellite TV for this one but it will be on ACCNX via the ESPN app or on your PC/Mac...

I'm exhausted, Caniacs!!! But I'm going to enjoy this one and I hope U will too.

It's great to be...especially after we win a series against No. 3!!!

Have a great rest of your Saturday night and an even better Sunday!

Go Canes!

----------------------------------

Good evening, Caniacs!

It's Game 2 of this high-powered series aat The Light between No. 3 Virginia and No. 8 Miami.

We're up 1-0 and have chance to win the series tonight but....we've done poked the bear and I
would imagine we'll see a different UVA team. They were embarrassed last night and they'll be
out to even the series. If we thought last night would be tough...wait for tonight.

We're 24-6 and 11-2/ACC while UVA is 26-4 and 9-4/ACC so we have a 2 game lead on them in the
Coastal.

Starting Pitchers:

UM:
FR RHP Karson Ligon is 4-1 with a league-leading 1.45 ERA. Not bad for a true FR, huh?
UVA: The Cavs throw another lefty at us (as they will in Game 3) named Brian Gursky. He's 5-0
with a 2.61 ETRA.

Here's how U can follow the game:

MEDIA INFO
How to Watch: UVA vs UM(Courtesy: Watch ESPN/ACCNX) NO CABLE/Satellite TV tonight!
How to Listen:
WVUM 90.5 (Courtesy: WVUM)
How to Follow Live Game Stats: UVA vs UM (Courtesy: UM/statbroadcast)

This is the UVA starting lineup...note Mr. Gelof in the cleanup sot at No. 4. He came into the
series as the leading batter at .436 and after going 0-4 in Game 1 that number has changed.
He also has 14 HRs and 53 RBIs...he came up zero and zero last night. How long can we keep
him down?

UVA Line Up
SpotPos# PlayerBatsAvg
1ss6 Griff O'FerrallR.351
2c3 Kyle TeelL.287
31b7 Devin OrtizR.330
43b22 Jake GelofR.421
5lf13 Alex TappenR.350
6cf9 Chris NewellL.266
7rf8 Casey SauckeR.394
8dh23 Ethan AndersonB.300
92b2 Max CotierL.276
10p37 Brian GurskyR-

Back with the first-half inning in a few.

Let's have another great game. Glad to have U on board, Caniacs!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News